PDA

View Full Version : Quick detach scope rings

scpaul
12-14-2015, 10:15 AM
I've built a dual purpose wildcat (simi-long range hunting and target shooting). Due to some unforseen expences I'm going to have to buy a cheaper QD scope mount for the other scopes for temporary use and getting the basic set-up and measurements.

I had a couple of bad experiences years ago with "Leapers" but things change. I don't know if their products are better than they were. Which sets of inexpensive QD mounts for a picatinny rail would y'all suggest. I'm hoping to buy more sets of Warne QD rings and steel picatinny rail as soon as possible.

I did look at the "Leapers" QD rings. They have 6 screws in the ring joint and what appears to be a pretty substantial cam/lever locking set-up. They are cheap; $20/set on sale. That seems too cheap to be any good.

The rings/mounts don't need to take very much recoil, the rifle probably weighs between 15 and 18 lbs. The recoil may be about like a 38/357 lever gun.

Opinions, descriptions, compliments and complaints will all be appreciated. I usually have all the rings/mounts that I need, so I haven't bought any of either in 6 or more years.

Thank Y'all Very Much, Paul :noidea:

scpaul
12-14-2015, 12:15 PM
I finally found my post. I don't know how to move it, or where to move it to if not other than Savage parts (?). Sorry Paul

scpaul
12-14-2015, 08:44 PM
MrFurious,If you read the prior post you will see that I didn't put it here, although it may be a better selection than where I put it. I thought that parts that weren't Savage was a better fit. I'll check back in a bit, and if you will make a suggestion, I'll gladly move it. Better yet, if you can move it without me having to get a cramp in my finger, please do. If you would, please tell me where you thought it was a better fit, I almost never found it here, it was an accident actually.

Thank You sir, and I do appreciate any/all assistance, Paul Neese

adammiddagh
12-14-2015, 09:42 PM
I have had good luck with the burris tactical rings. After fighting with breaking or stripping parts a few years ago, i started using a torque wrench screwdriver. Now things stay put, and i don't strip threads. A little bit of blue loctite helps too.

Maine-iac
12-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Durasight quick detachable are about $17 at Midway. Never used them but I a sure there are plenty of reviews on the web.

scpaul
12-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of "Dura Sight". Like I said, I'm a little apprehensive of the "Leapers", and they are in the same price range. The leapers have 6 screws holding the ring halves together and what looks like a reasonably strong cam/lever arrangement.

Could you describe the "Dura Sight"? Is it made by someone else and put their name on it. Do you use them? I'm going to look at them.Thanks.

I wish that I could find a quick change system that isn't based on Weaver or Picatinny mounts. I've tried the "Leupold" quick change mounts, but when you get them tight enough in the mount(s) it seems that it takes too much pressure and I have problems getting them to separate even when they look like they are perfectly lined up, they are still hard to get apart without using more pressure than I like. Maybe it's just me. If so , please tell me. I've had the Leupold set on and off a few, not an extreme number, but enough that if they were just tight, surely, I'd have got them right or broken in by now.

Well, I really do appreciate the help, and if anyone can tell me any more I would appreciate it.

My hunting scope has fairly heavy cross hairs and my target scope (temporary, I hope) has such fine hairs that it's useless at dusk unless it's legal to spotlight. It's too complicated and expensive here for it, just like suppressors.

Thank all of Y'all again, Paul Neese

Maine-iac
12-17-2015, 07:27 AM
www.durasight.com or visit Midway USA. Never used them. I always use the Warne when I need QD. I have purchased there standard weaver style rings. A buddy has them on his '06 right now and they seem to be holding firm.

miscverb
12-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Warne or Leupolds

swadiver
01-02-2016, 06:28 AM
the UTG (Leapers) work very well for me on a couple of of low recoiling rifles.

mikeyp
01-02-2016, 11:20 AM
http://www.larue.com/riflescope-mounts?sort=popular

They make the best quick-detach scope mounts I have ever seen.

savgebolt
01-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Paul,,,,,, i crossed this line of thought a few months ago,,,, i raised some questions in a forum thread ,,,,after some responses and some thinking ,,,, if one wants to put a scope on more than one rifle , any mount will do ,,,,, with the accuracy of machineing of todays mounts,,,,i did buy a set of Lupey QD mounts , just a bit hard to bend to get over scope tube,,,, wont buy any more of them,,, since those mounts were to tall i got a set of Warne but havent installed them yet,,,,, if had it all all to do over id go with my regular choice of mounts,,,,something for you to think about ,,,,

scpaul
01-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. There are so many, and the prices go from $20 to $200 or more. I've actually got 3 more that I'd like to set up with multiple scopes. I've just got to go one step at a time. Have a good one, Paul