PDA

View Full Version : FTF after removing bolt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Bunky-Shooter
11-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Another way to check your if your tension is too light !!! cycle your bolt slowly and check your trigger.. Do this 5 times but increase the power you cycle the bolt with but remember to check the trigger each time. If it is too light the sear will fall against the blade on your accu-release. At this point the you should increase the tension with the small tool so that the sear doesn't release against the accu-release. This way has always worked well for myself.

Berserker
11-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Got my nogo. Did not close on it I did do it with he ejector in though. Found the the shell with dented primer. Headspace checked on it too. I figured it was ok, since last time was factory ammo.

foxx
11-30-2016, 10:35 AM
The ejector does not have to be removed to check head space, as long as the gage will eject after trying to close the bolt on it.

So now we are left with either a weak firing pin spring (HIGHLY unlikely) or the pin is dragging and therefore slow and/or too short. As suggested earlier, dissasemble and clean. Strip it clean of all grease and oil and re-lube with quality gun oil and grease. When done, measure the firing pin protrusion when de-cocked and report back.

Berserker
11-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Measured protrusion already. Stripped bolt. The failure rate is every 75 rounds or so. So not easy to say it is good.

Robinhood
11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Can you measure the firing pin compressed. A picture of the firing pin assembly would be great.

I ask because some people back of on the spring tension to improve bolt lift.

Berserker
11-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Another way to check your if your tension is too light !!! cycle your bolt slowly and check your trigger.. Do this 5 times but increase the power you cycle the bolt with but remember to check the trigger each time. If it is too light the sear will fall against the blade on your accu-release. At this point the you should increase the tension with the small tool so that the sear doesn't release against the accu-release. This way has always worked well for myself.

Do you mean measure trigger pull after each time working the bolt gently? I did measure it about 4.5 lbs. Not feather light.

Side note, I do like the safety on this gun, quite. Was hunting with my muzzle loader, with a timney, and it is loud. Don't remember being to so loud before though. The quest for the perfect gun, is like woman, bike, ect.

Berserker
11-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Can you measure the firing pin compressed. A picture of the firing pin assembly would be great.

I ask because some people back of on the spring tension to improve bolt lift.
How do you compress spring when not in bolt? I don't have a way to attaches pictures to this site. Are there different styles for the 110 series? Or do you mean for something odd?

Robinhood
11-30-2016, 07:23 PM
The spring is compressed wen the firing pin is assembled. It is not compressed when the firing pin is disassembled.
I borrowed this picture. If you measure the spring like this shows with dial calipers you will get the numbers we are looking for.
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/bugsplat/Savage%20build/firingping2.jpg

Robinhood
11-30-2016, 07:23 PM
This is the firing pin when not compressed. Dont pay attention to the instructions in this picture.
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/bugsplat/Savage%20build/Boltspring.jpg

Robinhood
11-30-2016, 07:25 PM
here are some names to go along with the parts.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/SavageFiringPin3-2012ng.jpg

bowfishn
11-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Go here for info on spring
http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm (http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm)

Robinhood
11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Lets don't look at disassembling the spring and putting the heavier wolf spring in it just yet. There is also some other info on switchbarrel that is debatable.

foxx
11-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Measured protrusion already. Stripped bolt. The failure rate is every 75 rounds or so. So not easy to say it is good.

??????? I do not understand your response. Who is saying it is good?

Did you disassemble the entire bolt assembly down to individual parts, strip them clean with de-greaser such as lighter fluid and then apply LIGHT amount of oil and lightly grease contact points? It might help reduce drag on the firing pin's travel, increasing it's force.

Berserker
11-30-2016, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=foxx;387761]??????? I do not understand your response. Who is saying it is good?

Did you disassemble the entire bolt assembly down to individual parts, strip them clean with de-greaser such as lighter fluid and then apply LIGHT amount of oil and lightly grease contact points? It might help reduce drag on the firing pin's travel, increasing it's force.[/QUOTE

What I meant by calling it good, is after I do what ever, it will be hard to call it good since it the period between failures is so many.

I took the firing pin assembly out of the bolt. I did not remove the ejector pin from its housing. I did spray cleaning in its hole, and pushed it in and out.

foxx
11-30-2016, 11:16 PM
I am suggesting a complete, thorough cleaning and re-lube of the bolt assembly. That means taking it apart and cleaning the inside of the bolt head, baffles, ENTIRE firing pin and spring and retaining pins. EVERY part that touches the firing pin. That way you know it is not dragging on anything and there is no shellac from previous owner's cleaning and lubing attempts.

Berserker
12-01-2016, 12:24 AM
Only thing I have not taking apart are the two pieces on the end, the bolt face. I did remove them from base. Spray down all the holes that the firing pin passes through. I did not take the ejector pin out of its body in the bolt face.

Robinhood
12-01-2016, 06:08 PM
So how is that spring length? If you back off the spring to lighten the lift you "may" have inconsistent ignition of primers. If you have disassembled the firing pin how much compression did you reassemble to? How did or to what basis did you set the position of the cocking pin in the fired position? Do you have any references to go by.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Berserker
12-01-2016, 08:14 PM
I didn't take the spring off the firing pin. Haven't measured yet.

Savage sent me an email with an address where to send the gun to be checked. No RA or postage. I was hoping they would say we have an updated spring.

Since the problem is so erratic, I don't think I am going to send it them, atleast not yet. PIA being home to sign for it, and driving to a UPS hub that handles guns.

bowfishn
12-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Couple other things covered in this thread, not sure if was covered in something I missed on this thread.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?53746-Model-110-misfire-and-question-about-the-cocking-washer&highlight=bolt+head (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?53746-Model-110-misfire-and-question-about-the-cocking-washer&highlight=bolt+head)