PDA

View Full Version : FTF after removing bolt

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Robinhood
12-16-2015, 01:37 AM
It shouldn't be hard, take practice, or understanding to operate a trigger.

I beg to differ. It should take practice and understanding to operate a trigger. Guns can kill if not being operated by someone who is not being deliberate when they fire a weapon. Firearms are a dangerous tool in the wrong hands and I have seen plenty in the wrong hands.

The premise behind the accutrigger was to keep people from hurting themselves or others. As with all safe designs in any industry it takes deliberate motion and actions to perform a function. Much like the safety button on many saws. All new automatic cars require you to be applying pressure on the brake when you shift gears.

If you are in a battle situation then the Accutriggers safety design is useless and in that situation I agree. But for inexpensive over the counter rifle that is being marketed for first time owners to veterans alike it serves a useful purpose. Lucky for everyone, If you don't like it there are alternatives.

Berserker
12-16-2015, 09:32 AM
I beg to differ. It should take practice and understanding to operate a trigger. Guns can kill if not being operated by someone who is not being deliberate when they fire a weapon. Firearms are a dangerous tool in the wrong hands and I have seen plenty in the wrong hands.
That is a little dramatic, and extreme.

Hooking the trigger as you pull is not an accidental discharge. I did it my whole life I suspect. I didn't realize it until I was trying to be more accurate with handguns, which the effect was noticed. I was being delibrate when the gun went off.

I actually liked the first trigger. Helped me concentrate on my shooting.

Also going to check the bolt protusion, just cause I would like to learn. Looks to the naked eye same as my other Savage. Did not look that dirty. But I will look at the FAQ section and learn what to do. Only taken a bolt apart on one gun before. Probably should go through my others.

big honkin jeep
12-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Think I'd go back to square 1 and check the primer on a round that didn't go before I started taking anything apart and possibly trying to fix something that may not be broken........

Berserker
12-16-2015, 09:59 PM
I'd like to think I would have noticed dented primer. I shoot 30-06 at my camp, which gets few feet of snow. Though I might still be able to get some shooting in

earl39
12-16-2015, 10:29 PM
If the primer was not seated all the way you can have a dented primer that doesn't go off due to fireing pin seating the primer.

Berserker
12-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Factory ammo though both from the same box. I kinda doubt it, but not impossible.

Robinhood
12-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Remove the Accurelease. If it fires consistently you know it was the trigger. If it still malfunctions, rebuild the bolt. If it fires consistently then we now know it was something in the bolt. If not, change ammunition and if it fires consistently we have solved the problem. Troubleshooting really is that simple. Drama is 4 pages of the same thing being repeated 3 different ways with excuses and denial but no solution. That is complex.

FW Conch
12-17-2015, 08:27 AM
^^ ;-)) ^^

Berserker
12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Drama is 4 pages of the same thing being repeated 3 different ways with excuses and denial but no solution. That is complex.
You contributed to the drama.

We are all going to die if I don't squeeze this trigger correctly.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Shot about 75 rounds of 30-06 this fall. Last night the 116 failed to fire. Fired a few more no problem. WLR primer on handloads, with a dent. Last time was factory Coreloct.

I have spent alot of time cleaning barrel. I have not taken bolt apart. Have wiped it down. Last time it failed it did not have this much shooting time on it, so not sure if dirt is an issue or not. New springs or cleaning or new bolt and be done with it?

My MK85 has become my backup rifle for deer season. That thing does shoot well.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 01:47 PM
I have mixed feelings about selling this gun ethically. If I could buy a not bolt, I would just keep it. I can't see what improvements there are aftermarket, but maybe there are. It is fairly smooth. Not as smooth as my 70s 700. Not sure if I would want a longer handle, not sure correct term at the moment.

Just part of the bolt assembly? If I could just replace it at reasonable cost, I may rather then screw it. Usually I like screwing with, but this only shows up every 75-100 rounds, and I don't want to risk a buck on it.

RC20
11-14-2016, 02:01 PM
I bought this model because I heard how good the accutrigger is. Should have just bought cheaper one and put after market trigger in.

I am going to weigh in and take it for what its worth.

Find out what the problem is. Seems like jumping here and there and no logical progression.

Lots of tests, run em.

Previously the only way to have a safe trigger was a heavy trigger (I assume you have read about Remington and their trigger issues?)

If you have shot revolver you know that as the DA part. No safety per sea, just a very heavy pull (10-12 lbs). Bolt actions had gone the same qay7, ugly nasty heavy trigger pull to avoid liability issues.

So, Savage took the complaints and came up with a far better system. That is the safety blade that takes place of the heavy pull.

Then you have an adjustable trigger, 2.5 lbs minimum for a hunter, 1.5 for the Varmint style.

Unlike some, I like it, I also understand there is some aspect to it that can be an issue (last time I checked I had to fill my vehicles up with fuel form time to time, is that a vehicle fault or just plain reality?)

However, all things have downsides (have you read about the Remington trigger problem ?) You should.

In this case there is some sensitivity problem involved and a possible trip without the striker doing its thing.

Now you have a choice. Quit complaining and work out what the problem is, dump the gun (I will consider an offer) Buy something other than a Remington (I hear there are still issues)

So the bottom line is start working with the people trying to help you out or dump the gun.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 02:27 PM
To me bolts should be 100% reliable. That is why many buy them. I got a Mosin Nagant that goes bang. Granted I have not shot it as much.

I have only had problems with Savage. Not that I have shot alot of brands. I am open to brands.

At one time I thought maybe I was not disengaging the the trigger safety, I didn't look at FTF close enough. This time I see there is a dented primer, and different brand of primer.

Is the trigger not striking the firing pin hard enough, or firing pin not hitting hard enough.

It has been 75-100 rounds since it did this. First time few apart. So it is hard to trouble shoot. When it comes to deer and bear hunting, I don't want to adjust one thing, then try another.

I have changed springs on DA and I am familar with the design and why.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 02:30 PM
I am asking about replacement bolts or firing pins, or people think it could be the trigger. Maybe because this is a Savage forum, people will not want to discuss the problem. I was hoping this would be the place to find experts.

I'd be happy just replacing all possible parts, and be done with it. Like I said normally I like tinkering around. But this is for hunting, and the problem spread apart.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 02:42 PM
I was on another site, searched dented primer. The first one to come up was another 116. I think I will email Savage, free to ask if there is any issues.

Berserker
11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
What about measuring headspace? All 3 were new remington brass though. I didnt check trim length on all of them. One guy thought he was brass was pushed forward.

This winter I will measure the pin. But it bothers me to have to. The gun looked brand new to me, or close to it.

RC20
11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
You need to slow down, you are all over the map.

You also need to get over the reliable both thing. Its a piece of equipotent, its not a guarantee.
My brother fought a Ruger bolt issue for 25 years and finally solved it one day.

If you are getting dented primers then its move to the bolt and or head space.

You have a used gun, it may have had an issue that was passed on.

So, rather than jumping all over the place, settle down, we can come up with a plan.

If you are not willing to do that, then we can't help you.

RC20
11-14-2016, 04:41 PM
I am asking about replacement bolts or firing pins, or people think it could be the trigger. Maybe because this is a Savage forum, people will not want to discuss the problem. I was hoping this would be the place to find experts.

I'd be happy just replacing all possible parts, and be done with it. Like I said normally I like tinkering around. But this is for hunting, and the problem spread apart.

Now I am in sarcastic mode, replace the rifle, problem almost certainly solved. If new rifle does not solve it, replace, repeat until you find a rifle that works.

olddav
11-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Shot about 75 rounds of 30-06 this fall. Last night the 116 failed to fire. Fired a few more no problem. WLR primer on handloads, with a dent. Last time was factory Coreloct.

I have spent alot of time cleaning barrel. I have not taken bolt apart. Have wiped it down. Last time it failed it did not have this much shooting time on it, so not sure if dirt is an issue or not. New springs or cleaning or new bolt and be done with it?

My MK85 has become my backup rifle for deer season. That thing does shoot well.

Your problem is in the bolt. Take it apart, clean it, while reassembling the bolt check firing pin protrusion. If you try to replace the bolt you may need to reset head space.

olddav
11-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Sorry I just reviewed the thread and I would like to rescind my eariler ^^^ post.