PDA

View Full Version : FTF after removing bolt

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Berserker
12-14-2015, 11:31 PM
It surprises me I can pull the rear trigger without the one in front of it. Maybe I was getting tired or complacent, shooting 3 rifles.

Though to me it is a relibility issue. If you flip the safety off a loaded gun, pull the trigger and it doesn't fire, there is something wrong with the gun.

foxx
12-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Same could be said about the colt .45 1911 handgun. If you flip off the safety and pull the trigger, but do not hold the grip properly, it will not fire.

The Accutrigger safety SYSTEM requires that you flip the safety lever forward and press the safety blade all the way back before pulling the trigger. If you decide you like the trigger, but not the safety blade aspect, you can easily remove the safety blade and it will function just like an ordinary trigger.

Berserker
12-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Same could be said about the colt .45 1911 handgun. If you flip off the safety and pull the trigger, but do not hold the grip properly, it will not fire.

The Accutrigger safety SYSTEM requires that you flip the safety lever forward and press the safety blade all the way back before pulling the trigger. If you decide you like the trigger, but not the safety blade aspect, you can easily remove the safety blade and it will function just like an ordinary trigger.
I am a revolver man, I'll take 44 special. I believe in reliability. That is why I shoot bolt. I am thinkng about going back to pump, for a season, or just to shoot for a bit.

Looked at SAV-1. Can you simply remove the front trigger, without other changes?

Berserker
12-15-2015, 12:46 AM
I won't get into the is/is not debate ;) but you can use a RifleBasix SAV-1 or a Tinimey trigger for hunting. You will be limited to around 2.5# pull weight though (you know for safety sake).
I have been happy with whatever them come from the factory. I thought around 5lbs, but never measured. For hunting I don't think I want or need a real light trigger.

big honkin jeep
12-15-2015, 02:15 AM
Lotta folks dissing the trigger but I'm thinking it's possibly the ammo. I have quite a few accutriggers and I've heard talk of the problem being discussed but have never had it happen over the last 14 years or so since the accutrigger was introduced. ( PS winnie the accutrigger was out well before the x mark pro from big green and was their attempt to catch up.)
Sure would be nice to know if there was a dent in those primers. Though I haven't had a problem with any of my accutriggers, I have had several dented primers with no boom in rifles of all stripes. I have also had several of those rounds go just fine on another strike. Seems like the logical place to start anyway.

If it is the ammo, or something else causing a light primer strike, all this trigger banter is a mute point.

Robinhood
12-15-2015, 07:16 AM
( PS winnie the accutrigger was out well before the x mark pro from big green and was their attempt to catch up.)

That was my thoughts

Berserker
12-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Lotta folks dissing the trigger but I'm thinking it's possibly the ammo. t.
Corlokt isn't premium ammo, but a lot of it is shot every year. Not some odd ball. I have never heard they have hard primers. Even if they did, it has been around so long, probably killed more deer then any other, so the gun should be able to handle it.

458MinMag
12-15-2015, 08:36 AM
As mentioned numerous times, you need to check the firing pin protrusion and make sure that the bolt is cleaned and lubed. There is a good pictorial in the FAQ section on setting the firing pin protrusion. I think another possibility is that it has excessive headspace, or the Remington ammo may be on the short side of the spec.

WinnieTheBoom
12-15-2015, 09:09 AM
99% sure this is a trigger problem. Well, not problem, but incorrect operation. It's extremely common.

foxx
12-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Can you simply remove the front trigger, without other changes?

Yes. pull the pin that the trigger pivots on and remove the silver "blade". Replace the pin.

Jamie
12-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Disagree. If the gun doesn't fire when the trigger is pulled backwards, something is wrong.

Correct. What is wrong is that 99% of Savage trigger issues stem from people not pulling straight back to disengage the sear safety. Kinda like blaming a door for not opening when you push it and there is a sign stating "PULL".

Like I said, the Rifle Basix should serve you well.

Berserker
12-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Correct. What is wrong is that 99% of Savage trigger issues stem from people not pulling straight back to disengage the sear safety. Kinda like blaming a door for not opening when you push it and there is a sign stating "PULL".

Like I said, the Rifle Basix should serve you well.
I am not denying I may have pulled to the side, and need to correct. I do that with handguns, and have been paying attention to it for a few years.

But, a gun should go off. You should not have to train yourself or be aware for a firearm to discharge. You should have to, to improve your shot, but not to get it to shoot.

If it is possible to pull a trigger, and not have it go off, I say it is a poor design. You can compensate for the poor design, and get good at compensating, but it is still a poor design.

I don't care on my 243, I probaby won't deer hunt with that, maybe coyote. But my 30-06 is for deer and bear, and I would hate to miss my chance.

I do practice, I fired around 40-50 rounds that day.

Berserker
12-15-2015, 06:42 PM
I bought this model because I heard how good the accutrigger is. Should have just bought cheaper one and put after market trigger in.

foxx
12-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Me thinks I smell a troll

Berserker
12-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Me thinks I smell a troll
Why, because I like reliability? You think I am making this up?

The accutriggers are talked about alot, it is why I bought the gun, and price was good.

Either way thanks to the people for the help, I would not have thought of this.

foxx
12-15-2015, 09:04 PM
No, because we have explained how they work, easy solutions to your possible and reasonable objections and offered suggestions unrelated to the Accutrigger and yet you always seem to come back to a statement that they are unreliable or something very close to empty product bashing. It's not necessary.

Not everyone likes the Accutrigger. It is not perfect. It is good. It enables the company to offer a user-friendly adjustable trigger that satisfies the lawyers.

I hope I am not being unfriendly. You might just be a funny crank that means no harm, just poking harmless jabs at something he doesn't care for. (As demonstrated by your jab at the venerable 1911) I get that. :) If so, I apologize.

Berserker
12-15-2015, 10:38 PM
I am not trying to be funny. If the trigger doesn't work from the factory I consider that a bad design.

I will try some of the work arounds. First just remove the front trigger. I will not consider technique as a fix to the gun.

Like I said I am big into reliability. I have 44 spcl and j frame. I do have 10/22 but that is more for plinking or nothing that would matter if it failed. I have modified it too, for performance, not reliability.

I am reloading right now. I was going to load it for that gun, but I am going to do full length sizing in case I don't stay with this gun.

foxx
12-15-2015, 10:47 PM
The Accutrigger , from the factory, works as designed. We have yet to determine whether you are having a different issue (unrelated to the trigger).

I have nothing else to offer.

Robinhood
12-15-2015, 11:33 PM
If the sear falls and it is caught by the Accurelease then it works as designed. I would consider that working. If the operator does not understand how to operate the trigger it has nothing to do with the trigger. Now the happy meal...that is bad design.

Berserker
12-16-2015, 12:00 AM
It shouldn't be hard, take practice, or understanding to operate a trigger.