PDA

View Full Version : PT&G Truing tools

Robinhood
12-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Has anyone used the blueprinting tools for a Savage. Seen them used on Remington's with success. What are the ins and outs and experiences. Thanks.

Hotolds442
12-13-2015, 01:52 AM
What's the point?
Unlike the Remington's, Savage rifles have a floating bolt head, after you use the tool, what have you really trued? How do you know that the rifle you have needs to be trued?
Save your money and buy more ammo.

Robinhood
12-13-2015, 02:00 AM
I am interested in the tools and the experiences people have had. With all due respect, I prefer this post to not be on opinions that are not related to the experience with these tools.

Hotolds442
12-14-2015, 12:30 AM
I offered no opinions, only asking you questions.
After reading your PM, don't buy ammo. Buy a barrel that you haven't chambered off-axis.

Robinhood
12-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Thanks.

Robinhood
12-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Why would anyone get into all of this if an action has a floating bolt head one might ask. The rifle shoots .3 MOA 5 shot groups out to 200 and .5 out to 400 on great days with a Krieger barrel. However when I shoot variable ranges there is an elevation and windage adjustment required that is inconsistent with the barrel axis and the axis of the scope mounts being in the same plane. I used the bolt raceway alignment rod to align the action in the mill and re drilled and tapped the scope mount holes up one size. They were close but I was there...Then I resized the holes in the mount. The barrel is straight as checked with a 6" precision ground drift rod. I put the barrel in the lathe and after getting the rod within a couple of tenths I checked the chamber in three areas and came up with less than .0005 run out. Probably less but I started with .0002 on the bore. Then I put the action in the jig, using a rod I ground to fit snugly in the bolt raceway I indicated the face of the action and found it to have a raised area pushed up from a small flat spot on the side of the receiver. After I honed the proud metal away the face had approximately .003 tir. I had previously machined a 10" barrel stub that was what I would call a class 2 fit on this action. I screwed that into the action and indicated the end of the stub. .005 tir. Then I snugged up the trued nut hand tight and the indicator read a thin .007 tir. I removed the stub and skimmed the face to remove the run out as well as touched off and trued the lug abutment while I was there. Now I get .0025 at the end of the stub. I have not touched the threads. I will need to shorten the rear of the bolt about .005 to get the the primary extraction back to where I believe it should be. Touch off on the lugs at the rear of the bolt head and touch the face and It will be complete. Then I can test the results.

This was a lot of work and my custom stuff fits one action and one caliber. I have several that demonstrate the same issues, If I can save a little time on the remaining actions, the the PTG might be good for me. This much effort may not be for everyone, I realize this but it makes me happy. So If anyone has had any experience with them let me know.

FW Conch
12-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Wow! That is impressive! If the performance is not to expectations, at least you will know what the problem is "not"! :-)