PDA

View Full Version : I Butchered It! Oh Wait, It Works GREAT!

Kawabuggy
09-20-2009, 12:13 AM
After reading a couple posts here, and after shooting my Savage 10FP-LE last weekend and not liking the trigger, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hand(s)...

I pulled the stock off today and found out the factory Tupperware is actually pillar bedded! I liked that.. Anyway, back on subject....

I pulled the blade for the Accu-Trigger off and put it away. I then removed the factory spring for the trigger return/sear re-set, and stored it with the Accu-Trigger blade.. I then disassembled a ball point pen, and got my paws on the spring... I cut that spring in half, and then threaded it into the trigger arm just like the factory spring was... Installed bolt, pulled trigger and was BLOWN AWAY! Re-cocked the action, and tested it multiple times with safety on, safety off, slamming action on the floor, slammed bolt shut repeatedly testing for slam fire.. All checks a go.

Took rifle hog hunting this evening.. Final tally: Me=5, hogs=Dead...

LOVE THE NEW TRIGGER!

Now tomorrow I'll be disassembling the rest of my Savages (7) to "fix" the trigger.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge to measure the new pull.. If I had to guess, I'd say between 1#-1.5#.. Absolutely perfect!

Longest shot tonight was about 225 yards.. The 150 grain Nosler ballistic tip planted the hog where he was standing and he gave that loud victory cry that every hog hunter wants to hear-SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEE! And then silence.. Nights like tonight are what I live for. Having the right tools (SAVAGE!) insured that everything went as planned.

Good night!

outlawkyote
09-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Why not use the spring from the accutrigger blade instead of a cheap ball point pen spring? Prolly not much difference in the pull weight.

Kawabuggy
09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought about it, and actually started to pull the spring from the Accu-Trigger blade, but I stretched the spring trying to get it off the blade. At that point, I thought I better just leave it alone in case I want to put it back in case I ever decide to sell it. I'm sure with some pliers I could have gotten it off. But I kept hearing this little squeaky voice saying "use me, use me!".. I finally found the source of the voice when I picked up the pen..

I have used Bic pen springs in Remingtons, Mossbergs, Brownings, Winchesters, & now Savages.

Dennis
09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
How much did it lower the pull, or what is the trigger pull? I modified mine, left everthing in there and it's about 14oz's which I consider perfect for me!