PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis 25-06 problem

Pages : [1] 2

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Needing advice. I bought a axis last November in 25-06. Sighted it in and took it hunting. Had a buck come in and squeezed the trigger click no boom. Bolted and squeezed again then boom killed the deer. Had a light primer strike. Sent it back to savage they checked it and replaced the bolt. Got it out this year to sight in and shot 12 times had one light primer strike again. Went huntint anyway shot 4 rounds killed three deer no problems. Went thanksgiving day had a buck in squeezed trigger and click deer ran off. Sent it back to savage agsin. What's y'alls thoughts on the problem ?

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I know somebody can offer some advice. What ya think the problem is ?

pisgah
12-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Reloads? Factory?

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Factory loads. 1 with fusion 2 with remington corelockt

sixonetonoffun
12-13-2015, 12:47 AM
How do fired cases compare to new at the shoulder? Could be a long chamber or excesive headspace.

short round
12-13-2015, 01:11 AM
I'd start by disassembling bolt, clean & lightly oiling bolt. If you are shooting in cold weather, grease in bolt will get thick & slow down the firing pin.

triehl27
12-13-2015, 04:00 AM
First off, Ammo - Factory or Reloaded?
Secondly, Disassemble the bolt and clean it, the firing pin, firing pin channel and and hole.
Third - Take it to a gunsmith and have the head space checked.
Finally - If you send it back to Savage again. Mark the bolt with a sharpie. Somewhere out of sight, with a mark you will recognize that is discrete. Why? Because I sent in a brand new rifle with a bolt issue back to the factory 3 times and it came back with a receipt saying the bolt had been replaced, yet each time there was my 3 sharpie marks on the "new" bolt. 4th time I was sent a new rifle.

Needing advice. I bought a axis last November in 25-06. Sighted it in and took it hunting. Had a buck come in and squeezed the trigger click no boom. Bolted and squeezed again then boom killed the deer. Had a light primer strike. Sent it back to savage they checked it and replaced the bolt. Got it out this year to sight in and shot 12 times had one light primer strike again. Went huntint anyway shot 4 rounds killed three deer no problems. Went thanksgiving day had a buck in squeezed trigger and click deer ran off. Sent it back to savage agsin. What's y'alls thoughts on the problem ?

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-13-2015, 09:58 AM
The fired cases appear no diffrent than new. Cold weather hasn't been a problem this year it was 71 yesterday for the last day of deer season ! I sent this gun back to savage hoping since it was twice they will just send me a new gun. According to my receipt last year they checked the headspacing ? Should I take it to a gunsmith and have him do it ? I kinda wondered about the replacing the bolt, if they just say it or did. Did you call their bluff triehl27 ?

LHitchcox
12-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Is this an Accutrigger rifle? Some guys with big hands have problems with Accutriggers.

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-13-2015, 09:34 PM
No its not an accutrigger

foxx
12-13-2015, 09:50 PM
How much of the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face after firing? I don't know what it should be, but someone here does.

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-13-2015, 10:00 PM
It shoots most of the time just freak times it won't shoot. So it must stick out further some times and be short some times

foxx
12-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Yeah, unless it's just barely long enough. If it's not quite "there" it might not hit them hard enough every time. -- That was my thinking, anyhow.

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-13-2015, 10:14 PM
That could be the case I'm not an expert by any means. I just expect a gun to go boom when I pull the trigger when I spend my hard earned money on it and use it to feed my family. I really like the gun but the fail to fires upset me

drybean
12-13-2015, 10:29 PM
Firing pin protrusion for the factory should be about .055
but I do not think that you need more that .040 ,that is were I set mine at
on your fired brass , does your primers protrude
just for s &Gs start a Fl piece of brass with a fired primer just started in the pocket,
close the bolt then remove measure how much your primer protrude ,that will be your headspace on your sized brass
Sorry I am not good at relaying my thoughts

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Someone mentioned to me that my problem could be that the bolt Handle isn't down as far as possible. Like it got bumped up a tad carrying or climbing a tree but not alot as I would notice that. Had this problem on the bench also so Idk. Thoughts?

DrThunder88
12-14-2015, 03:22 AM
It's possible. If the bolt handle isn't down all the way, the cocking pin can hit the cocking ramp, slowing the firing pin down on its way to hit the primer. It is easy enough to check, but if the problem has happened on a number of occasions in different circumstances, it seems unlikely that would be the culprit.

J.Baker
12-21-2015, 07:00 AM
Not trying to put you down in any way, but it sounds like you don't have much experience with working on guns or much knowledge on what makes them tick (mechanically). That being the case, I would highly suggest that you take the rifle and your ammunition to a reputable local gunsmith and have him check both out. As has been previously mentioned it could be an ammo problem, a headspace problem (very unlikely), or a firing pin length problem. A gunsmith will have the proper tools and knowledge to quickly and easily check all of the above. All we here can do is speculate as we don't have the gun in front of us to inspect.

Given the inconsistency of the problem I would be inclined to think it's ammo related, specifically slightly short cases allowing the firing pin to push the round forward slightly in the chamber and thus wasting much of the firing pin energy on that rather than igniting the primer. But again, without having the gun and ammo to inspect it's just speculation.

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Not trying to put you down in any way, but it sounds like you don't have much experience with working on guns or much knowledge on what makes them tick (mechanically). That being the case, I would highly suggest that you take the rifle and your ammunition to a reputable local gunsmith and have him check both out. As has been previously mentioned it could be an ammo problem, a headspace problem (very unlikely), or a firing pin length problem. A gunsmith will have the proper tools and knowledge to quickly and easily check all of the above. All we here can do is speculate as we don't have the gun in front of us to inspect.

Given the inconsistency of the problem I would be inclined to think it's ammo related, specifically slightly short cases allowing the firing pin to push the round forward slightly in the chamber and thus wasting much of the firing pin energy on that rather than igniting the primer. But again, without having the gun and ammo to inspect it's just speculation.

No I am not a gunsmith in any form. I came here looking for others that may have had the same issue. Just seeing if I happened to get the gun that was made on Friday evening or Monday morning since I've had so much trouble out of it. I'm not convinced savage is doing a whole lot to solve the problems either.

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com
12-21-2015, 09:16 AM
I feel like savage should take care of the problem and I shouldnt have to spend my money to take it to a gunsmith ? Am I wrong on my thinking ?