PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on removing a stuck case neck in a chamber/Results aint good!

skoger
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I was zeroing a .223 stevens this evening, Ultramaz remanufactured ammo, 55HP, and a case blew! No harm to me or the gun, but left the case neck in the chamber. I have used oversized brushes, poured a chamber cast, even used a .22 lead slug backwards from the muzzle, no luck. I have used these techniques a dozen times when a full time gunsmith, never failed. I guess I may pour another chamber cast with a brush, and then freeze the barrel overnight. All feedback welcome.

pa hog
06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Take extractor out of gun, Take a long seated dummy round, try to close bolt pretty hard so bullet forces itself into stuck neck without pushing bullet into case. Remove bolt, use a OLD cleaning rod and tap out bullet from muzzle. Chamfer the case neck pretty hard. Worked once for me

Or maybe pull barrel and use a dental pick.

bootsmcguire
06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I had a CVA 22-250 single shot several years ago, had a "blurb" in the chamber wall. I didn't realize to look for it as I just started in reloading. Upon the third loading (with weak loads I might add) I had a case head separation. Long story short, I had the top 2/3rd's of the spent case stuck in the chamber. Nothing could get it out. I got frustrated and had a set of cheap "bolt extractors", one of them was a perfect fit to fit in the neck and I was VERY, VERY careful and with a slight twist the broken shell came right out. Mine was a perfect fit, but if necessary you can grind the end of the cheap bolt extractor down to be a perfect fit in your neck (just grind the end to make the end dia. larger, do not gring down the "teeth" to make it smaller), so that way you don't risk touching the rifling or anything else. I have never had to do it since, but it was a last resort and worked.

If nothing else that gun was a learning experience, which led me to Savage! ;D

dcloco
06-19-2010, 12:16 AM
9mm or 10 mm bronze cleaning brush works well.

sinman
06-19-2010, 12:56 AM
take the barrel off and have it cut out by a gunsmith if you cant get it any other way

yorketransport
06-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Have you soaked the chamber with Kroil, then tried the oversized brush? I had a 10mm case tear in half in my 1911 and I couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. I soaked it in Kroil for 15 minutes, then ran a 40cal Bore Snake through from the muzzle. The case came right out. Kroil is really good at getting into the tight spots.

Good luck.

Andrew

sharpshooter
06-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Run a 1/4" x 20 tpi taper tap into the neck until it bites, then knock out with a rod.

ShaneG.
06-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Popped a 22-250 case in half and the tap trick worked for us just be careful not to get the chamber with it.

hailstone
06-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Problem with the tap/broken bolt extractor is there too short. You need to weld something on the end to reach into the receiver and turn to remove the seperated shell casing. I usually make the affair "T" shape and weld to tap/extractor end using the V of a angle iron for alignment. Shooting buddy had a 7mm Rem Mag that was having case seperations all too frequently (his reloading proceedures?) and made one for him.

skoger
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I had taken the barrel off.Well guys I slept on it, took a tap and ran it in afew theads, had soaked it last night with Kroil anyway. Piece of brass came out, but on further checking with borescope, THE CHAMBER AT THE SHOULDER IS BULGED! When the case blew, it dropped the mag out, burnt my hand a little. I dont know what caused this, I had shot the rife with my handloads, Fed. Premium, Rem. ammmo, the Ultramax is the one that blew up, suppoedlly once fired Brass, Mil. stamp of some sort. I am just glad I wasnt hurt or lost an eye. And I know the headspace was correct, checked it before shooting with a gauge. Well, a new barrel is in order, just antoher reason to be thankful for the big guy upstairs.

hailstone
06-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Another possibility is some of the broken case extractors that you chamber like a shell then eject. It enters the neck of the case and when through expands so it pulls from the neck end. You see them offered all the time for 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R cartridges. I've seen them offered for sale in 223 Rem. and 308 Win. from Brownells.

Slowpoke Slim
06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Uh, guys,

He said he got it out already.

Tough break on the chamber bulge.

Glad you weren't hurt by the case letting go. I'd shot some ultramax in my Stevens 223 when I first got it. I didn't notice any pressure issues, but that ammo never shot well for me in my Stevens.

At least another factory 223 barrel will be fairly cheap, I think Northlander has some?

tammons
06-19-2010, 10:38 PM
As to what happened it could be anything that pinched the bullet, but my guess is bad ammo.

I was breaking in a new 223 rifle a while back and picked up some factory ammo, and I just happened to
catch one case that had the brass in the neck folded back on itself.

drybean
06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
so much for quailty controll
worked on a late model chrysler 2mo ago that had a head bolt up
that had a tag on it that said loose head bolt insepter xxxxx