PDA

View Full Version : gunsmith question

gbflyer
12-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I recently unscrewed a SS barrel from a 16. It came out hard. It appeared that someone had left a scope mount screw in at some point. Anyway, cleaned the threads up and it threads in the action without binding. The threads that were not buggered up under the nut mic'd at 1.040. It took until 1.030 to clean up the bad ones, which consist of roughly 1/2 of the total engagement surface. It was odd to see 1.040 to start with as 1.055 is what the majors measure on all the other small shanks I have. So my question is has the clean up jeopardized the integrity of the surfaces enough to cause safety a concern? I don't have the experience to know....my gut says make a goat stake out of it. Opinions please. Thanks!

WinnieTheBoom
12-09-2015, 01:56 PM
It would probably be fine, but ultimately it's up to you.

I don't think anyone is going to come in and say, oh yeah I've tested threads that mic'd out at 1.055 vs. 1.040 and there was a significant difference in integrity, but only you're going to be the judge of what makes something 'acceptable.' If your gut says make it into a goat stake then make it into a goat stake. But there are plenty of cheap/good alternatives when you're risking so much for so little...

Cnsane
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm a machinist so I'll wait and let the gunsmiths answer. Root depth is the term.

foxx
12-09-2015, 03:59 PM
If it were mine, I'd screw it into the action and see how it goes. If it doesn't feel loose while twisting it into place, and you can snug it down good with a barrel nut, I would not worry about it at all. I figure the shank is plenty long and there's a lot of threads there, but I am no expert. Also, I gotta believe it's been done many times by others who don't know any better and no one has ever reported their barrel flying down range! :)

gbflyer
12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Took a hard look again today. Not gonna do it, not worth it. A little play in the threads is good, but not this much. Ordered a new prefit X-caliber. Those guys seem to have a good reputation, and I can't buy a reamer for what they charge to chamber one up. Thanks all for the replies.