PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinders/Chartplotters

Rick_W
12-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Any body got a favorite?

Will be mostly brackish water and salt near-shore.

Can't imagine the depth is more than a hundred feet anywhere that I'll be.

Really just want a good clean picture - probably side-scan.

Stockrex
12-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Budget ?

Hotolds442
12-09-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm running a Garmin 840XS in mine, but it's way overkill for your needs. Awesome unit though...

Rick_W
12-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Would like to keep it under $1k.

Hotolds442
12-09-2015, 10:40 PM
The Raymarine A65 is probably one of the best units out there for the price, and would have been my choice if I didn't need a larger screen and keypad interface.

yobuck
12-10-2015, 08:33 PM
If your fishing inshore as it appears you are, you can get a good unit for well under your budget.
I had the luxery of free electronics from Raymarine when i lived and was guiding in the keys.
Now i buy my own and frankly what i had was way overkill for what i actually needed. Florida sportsman
sells chips showing all the wrecks and known hotspots for the entire state in a regional format. I have most
of the state entered into my current small Hummingbird unit. So i really only need the unit to steer from point a to point b
and the depthfinder keeps me out of trouble while running. I had a large list of spots in the keys but many of them are
also on the chips i now have. My unit has down imaging but not side scanning. I frankly think most of those type features
are pretty much worthless unless you enjoy playing with the units more than fishing. Some days i never even turned my machines
on when i was in the keys. If things were slow i used the fishfinder, but otherwise i just used my waypoints and kept moving till we had fish.
Tide and current are also very important and that requires knowledge of the area more so than the electronics.

Rick_W
12-10-2015, 09:26 PM
I appreciate all the info.

We don't know the area so I can see using the unit a lot initially to learn the lay of the land and then using it less and less.

Our boat is coming with a Humminbird PiranhaMax 153 (gray-scale I believe).

We'll use it as-is initially but I can see wanting to upgrade soon.