PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Next Build Caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

WinnieTheBoom
12-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Id agree with the others who advise against magnum cartridges for what youve described.
None are really much fun to shoot even with muzzel brakes. I use large cartridges because
i hunt long range with them. Sometimes the extra horse power comes in handy for that purpose.
Ive watched 6 br's shot out to 1200 yds on a nice day with amazing results. Whats not to like about
that if your just shooting for the fun of it. A week or so ago a neibor here was playing around with a
7/08 at that distance. He was doing well hitting rocks with that also.
As for the 7x300 win mag, its a nice cartridge that has been getting more popular because of the internet talk about it.
Years ago when the 300 win mag showed up, hunters here were quick to neck it down to 7mm. What they found was they didnt
gain much over a 7mm Weatherby. The 340 and 300 weatherby cases necked down will provide more velocity. So will the
8mm mag and 300 h&h case necked down and the shoulder changed. The 8mm mag version is now known as the 7 STW.
The 7 ultra mag has a slight edge over the previously mentioned as for velocity.
As for barrel life, used exclusivly for hunting with a few rounds shot at targets each year a barrel can last for a persons lifetime.

Agreed on all counts except that large magnums aren't fun to shoot! I have the most fun shooting my big cartridges. Not to say that I don't enjoy my 6.5 Grendel, but I'm like a little kid every time I let my .338 Lapua off.

JASmith
12-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Agreed on all counts except that large magnums aren't fun to shoot! I have the most fun shooting my big cartridges. Not to say that I don't enjoy my 6.5 Grendel, but I'm like a little kid every time I let my .338 Lapua off.
Can't say I've done bigger than a .378 Weatherby Magnum. It was fun, even from the bench when I was trying to get an MOA.

The least pleasant was a super lightweight 20 gage.

Those experiences were forty years ago.

Now, I thoroughly enjoy shooting an accurate rifle. The Grendel is my favorite. The .222 Magnum I got a long time ago taught me the difference between a rifle that throws big and heavy bullets like the Weatherby and one that is equally capable on a lot of targets but has light to modest recoil.

biggfoot44
12-31-2015, 03:32 AM
Well, the OP has stated his parameters , and his existing battery doesn't really have gaps on the upper end , what with .270, .308, and .45-70 . More of gap in middle bore and middle power.

Big question is common caliber for ammo/ brass availability, or something really different just because you enjoy the interesting & unusual.

For mainstream cals, everything points to .243Win, the 800lb gorilla of mid bore dual purpose ctgs. ( I didn't say "best" , but the .243 decisievely won the popularity contest 40 years ago). 6mm Rem, .250Savage stock & various Improved flavors, .257Roberts stock & various Improved flavors are all "better" than .243 , but are essentially handloading only propisitions. Bending the parameters , 6x45 would be interesting, if on the lower edges of deer/ hog capability, and 6.5 Creed is treading close to .270 territory, unless really long distances.

JASmith
12-31-2015, 09:29 PM
If one goes toward the .243, stay with the standard chamber but use the 8-twist barrel.

that will let one use the 100 ton115 grain pills that make the cartridge more competitive at long range.