PDA

View Full Version : Switch barrel accuracy?

Ol' BW
12-08-2015, 01:09 AM
I'm curious if anyone has noticed any changes in accuracy with a switch barrel setup? I have a model 10 in 243 that is a sweet shooter that I bought to make into a switch barrel outfit. I would hate to do that and loose the accuracy of the original setup. Anybody have any suggestions or advise?

BW

GaCop
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Just about all of my Savages are set up as switch barrels and I see ne degradation of accuracy. If both barrels shoot well, there will be no accuracy issues.

WinnieTheBoom
12-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Just reference mark your barrels so you can maintain close headspacing after switching. Check with your gauges to be sure, but keeping that constant will do wonders in keeping accuracy the same. Otherwise, as GaCop said, as long as both barrels are good shooters you shouldn't have any problems.

Ol' BW
12-08-2015, 12:37 PM
So as long as you are consistent with the switch, accuracy will be maintained, all other things being the same. (No new problems like a damage to the barrel, damage to the action, etc? )

BW

WinnieTheBoom
12-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Yes, there shouldn't be any noticeable drop-off in accuracy or consistency all else being equal.

Ol' BW
12-09-2015, 05:53 AM
What do most of you do with your scope on a swap barrel setup? Do you take the scope off and remount each time you change the barrel to facilitate holding the action while removing the barrel? If you do leave it on, what do you do about scope adjustments? Does anyone have dedicated scopes for each barrel to keep adjustments close?

BW

AbitNutz
12-09-2015, 05:54 AM
I always use go-no-go gauges when I change barrels so the head space is always the same. I guess I should use a witness mark to line things up as well but I'm in the habit of never putting a barrel back on without using the gauges.

WinnieTheBoom
12-09-2015, 09:08 AM
I always use go-no-go gauges when I change barrels so the head space is always the same. I guess I should use a witness mark to line things up as well but I'm in the habit of never putting a barrel back on without using the gauges.

The witness mark more or less gives you an idea of where it was or should be, but you should always use headspace guages to be sure.

short round
12-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I modified a nut wrench, by cutting out a section to go under scope, so that scope can be left on. Would not use modified wrench to remove factory tight barrel, it would most likely break. Scope will need adjusted.