PDA

View Full Version : Bullets catching in barrel/not feeding well some times, help pls.

doodedge
12-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Hey guys. I have an axis 308 with a boyds stock and cdi bottom metal. The bolt grabs all the rounds fine, and the tip of the round goes up the feed ramp fine every time, but occasionally about 3/4 of the way closed the bolt and or bullet catches. if I take pressure off it for a split second and push again it usually chambers the rest of the way no problem.... Just snags about 3/4 of the way shut/chambered some times.

I fully disassembled and cleaned/lubed the bolt including ejector, and cleaned the crap out of the action and lubed it up. Bolt feels smooth with no round but just occasionally snags when chambering a round...

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Found this on the web http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=1864.0 Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having. His fix was
"Took the rifle to a local gun smith that is well known for his work and let him look at it before I was going to send to Savage. He found the chamber was somehat rought, he polished it out, also that the Mag needed to be twieked in, to line up the cartridge . The mag was releasing the cartridge a little to early if that makes any sense. Now the cartridge feeds in smoothly . I have 2 Magizines for the rifle both needed to be adjusted."

I don't think I can "adjust" my magazines but I could toss the polishing wheel on my dremmel and try to clean up inside the ramps/chamber. Let me know what you guys think.

WinnieTheBoom
12-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Hey guys. I have an axis 308 with a boyds stock and cdi bottom metal. The bolt grabs all the rounds fine, and the tip of the round goes up the feed ramp fine every time, but occasionally about 3/4 of the way closed the bolt and or bullet catches. if I take pressure off it for a split second and push again it usually chambers the rest of the way no problem.... Just snags about 3/4 of the way shut/chambered some times.

I fully disassembled and cleaned/lubed the bolt including ejector, and cleaned the crap out of the action and lubed it up. Bolt feels smooth with no round but just occasionally snags when chambering a round...

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Found this on the web http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=1864.0 Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having. His fix was
"Took the rifle to a local gun smith that is well known for his work and let him look at it before I was going to send to Savage. He found the chamber was somehat rought, he polished it out, also that the Mag needed to be twieked in, to line up the cartridge . The mag was releasing the cartridge a little to early if that makes any sense. Now the cartridge feeds in smoothly . I have 2 Magizines for the rifle both needed to be adjusted."

I don't think I can "adjust" my magazines but I could toss the polishing wheel on my dremmel and try to clean up inside the ramps/chamber. Let me know what you guys think.

You could probably try that. Savage is usually pretty good about warranty work, so even if you did try polishing it and it didn't fix the issue, you'd still probably be able to send it back to them and they would still fix it. You may want to call and confirm that, but if that's the case, then you don't have much to lose. Other option would always be taking it to a reputable smith around you and having him do the same, but that's really up to you.

J.Baker
12-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Sounds to me like the tip of the bullet is catching in the shoulder area of the chamber.

If you opt to try polishing the chamber yourself be careful as you don't want to end up with an egg shaped chamber. My preferred method is to use an appropriate chamber mop (if available), or the largest shogun bore mop that will squeeze into the chamber with some JB bore paste. I'll put the mop on a 12" section of cleaning rod (the old 3pc Hoppe's Kit type) and chuck it up in a drill. The lower RPM will help prevent the possibility of egging out the chamber, and using a mop ensures you'll have a uniform finish over the entire body/shoulder area of the chamber.