PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 FP HS Precision?

Lonewolf72
12-07-2015, 02:29 AM
Great site, 1st post...hoping you guys can help me with the purchase of a used Savage. Was told he had an older (2007?) Savage 10 FP HS Precision in .308. How was this rifle configured as new? I'm wanting to find out if this is a factory rifle or re-stocked. It was described as having an HS Precision stock with a BLIND magazine, 1:10 twist 24" barrel. Problem is that I can't find record of a Savage in this configuration...all I see is the 10 FCP HS with a DBM. Were early models configured without bottom metal? I think he will sell it in the $600-700 range. I am trying to figure out if this will be a good "shooter" for me learning the long range game. I know I will eventually want a DBM or at least a hinged floor plate, and trying to decide if this will be a bad investment in it's current configuration. If it comes without bottom metal, how much [ballpark figure] does it cost for a gunsmith to inlet for bottom metal? I'd rather buy a new 10 FCP HS or 12 LRP, etc. if the cost of smith work is going to put me back at that price point. But perhaps I could end up with a better rifle for the cost of a new one if I go this route (ex. better mags and bottom metal)? Your thoughts? Thanks.

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Not sure if there was a difference with the older models, but the newer ones are definitely DBM. The HS precision stock is very nice for what you're getting - absolutely no reason to upgrade it. Maybe a good glass bedding job, but otherwise just leave it alone and shoot it. You may also look into a KMW Loggerhead adjustable cheek rest if you're really wanting to make it comfortable, but that's up to you.

As for how much it would cost to inlet for a DBM... Depending on the configuration, you could buy the CDI bottom metal ($209), and they will inlet your stock for free. Add in an AI mag and shipping and you're looking at about $300 and change all said and done. If it is in fact a blind mag, and the bottom of the stock does not already have some type of floor plate/bottom metal, it will probably be easiest/most cost-effective to sell the stock off and buy something that will accept the CDI bottom metal.

My recommendation - depending on round count and condition, it's a pretty good any way you look at it. Offer him $600 and see what he says. If he accepts it, you'll have a great starter rifle (I've had 2 HSP 110s) and a huge aftermarket to get it configured the way you want it.

pdq5oh
12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I think the price is high, assuming it's only the rifle. You won't spend much more, maybe less, on a new rifle by the time you modify the used gun. Unless you're invested in .308, you could get a 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor instead. You'd get better long range ballistics and less recoil.

tom in michigan
12-07-2015, 01:23 PM
If you have the serial number go to Savage's website and click on the parts finder enter the serial no# and it will tell you what the original configuration of the rifle was and when it was manufactured.

Hotolds442
12-07-2015, 01:41 PM
The 2007 Savage catalog shows the 10 FP-HS having an internal box magazine. If the rifle you're looking at is an actual FCP, it will have a detachable box magazine and would have been built later than 2007.

Lonewolf72
12-07-2015, 03:46 PM
I think the price is pretty firm at $650, gun is in great shape with no scratches or dings and has a low round count [200].

Lonewolf72
12-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Comes with Leupold classic rings and base. Ideally, I'd switch over to 6.5 Creedmoor after shooting out the barrel, but I think .308 would serve me well to learn.
I think the price is qhigh, assuming it's only the rifle. You won't spend much more, maybe less, on a new rifle by the time you modify the used gun. Unless you're invested in .308, you could get a 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor instead. You'd get better long range ballistics and less recoil.

Lonewolf72
12-07-2015, 03:59 PM
He said it was a 10 FP from 2007 and I don't see any bottom metal. I dont have the serial number. I'm guessing this means it is a 2nd Gen short action with 4.275" action screw spacing and stagger feed, rather than newer 3rd Gen design with wider spacing and center feed. Will this be a problem for finding aftermarket stocks and bottom metal? Seems like a pain to sell the heavy stock with no inlet when most folks are looking for bottom metal in a stock like this.
The 2007 Savage catalog shows the 10 FP-HS having an internal box magazine. If the rifle you're looking at is an actual FCP, it will have a detachable box magazine and would have been built later than 2007.

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Not really, plenty of aftermarket options from Boyds, Choate, HS Precision, etc. regardless of action. CDI sells bottom metals for both staggered feed and center feed actions as well, so you shouldn't have a problem there either. I actually prefer the S/F design but both are perfectly fine for what you'll be looking to do.

Not sure how 'the price is a little high' when standard model 10s in synthetic / accustocks go for around $500... Factor in the HSP, base, and rings, and the $650 is definitely a fair price. Not to mention, you could sell of the stock for $150-200 and you'd be back to ground zero with another stock ready to go for the DBM conversion.

Lonewolf72
12-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Not really, plenty of aftermarket options from Boyds, Choate, HS Precision, etc. regardless of action. CDI sells bottom metals for both staggered feed and center feed actions as well, so you shouldn't have a problem there either. I actually prefer the S/F design but both are perfectly fine for what you'll be looking to do.

Not sure how 'the price is a little high' when standard model 10s in synthetic / accustocks go for around $500... Factor in the HSP, base, and rings, and the $650 is definitely a fair price. Not to mention, you could sell of the stock for $150-200 and you'd be back to ground zero with another stock ready to go for the DBM conversion.

10 FCP-SR is about $650 new around here, then have to deal with the cheap stock (at least an Accu-stock) and magazines. I suppose one could go cheaper, but would want to rebarrel to a heavier contour. Having the stock inlet may not be the way to go, as the only quote I've received so far was $225, then another $220 for CDI bottom metal + cost of magazines. But I suppose the savings comes now when I can afford to buy glass and get shooting on a solid platform, rather than start with a more expensive rifle.