PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors?

hafejd30
12-06-2015, 11:38 PM
I want a 30 cal can for both 308 and 260. Sometimes AR 15. What do you recommend. Looking for accuracy/sound reduction. Weight not a concern. Like to keep $500-$800 range. My dealer recommend a gemtech hvt. Any suggestions? Shooting session of 20-40 rounds average aside from the AR which would be more. No full auto

geargrinder
12-07-2015, 12:46 AM
I'd recommend a trust and a Form 1.

Supressors are easy to make. I just finished an easy 30 cal using parts from SD Tactical.

upSLIDEdown
12-07-2015, 03:09 AM
Hard to beat the Omega right now IMO.

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 09:28 AM
I'd recommend a trust and a Form 1.

Supressors are easy to make. I just finished an easy 30 cal using parts from SD Tactical.

Sorry but homebrews aren't going to last with bigger rounds or heavy/consistent usage. Definitely go the trust route, but stick to one of the main manufacturers as they almost all have good warranties and you'll get better performance out of them.

The Omega looks like a nice can, but you can't go wrong with AAC either.

hafejd30
12-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you. I don't trust myself to build my own. My dealer has gemtech and yhm and a few I can't remember names of

upSLIDEdown
12-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Sorry but homebrews aren't going to last with bigger rounds or heavy/consistent usage. Definitely go the trust route, but stick to one of the main manufacturers as they almost all have good warranties and you'll get better performance out of them.

Depends on your definition of homebrew I guess. There are PLENTY of Form 1s out there doing just fine.

hafejd30
12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I sent my dealer an email and will see if he can get me the brands/models and price of his options. Then research from there. I'll post them here when he replies and see what you guys have to say on the options.

I've never held a suppressor so I'm not sure my confidence would be high enough to build my first one. I'm assuming you need a lathe etc which I don't have. Maybe it's easier than I think but I don't want the pressure from the muzzle to blow it up either

geargrinder
12-07-2015, 09:06 PM

Have you much experience with Form 1 cans?

My first was a 30 cal YHM. Fairly cheap and built like a tank. Rated for Magnum.

I have a lathe that helps me with my Form 1 cans I bought it for less than the cost of the YHM.

Homebrew can be built to any specific round. I've seen homebrew cans that easily handle 50bmg. I've also seen homebrew's that are much better built than most of the main manufacturers.

WinnieTheBoom
12-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Have you much experience with Form 1 cans?

My first was a 30 cal YHM. Fairly cheap and built like a tank. Rated for Magnum.

I have a lathe that helps me with my Form 1 cans I bought it for less than the cost of the YHM.

Homebrew can be built to any specific round. I've seen homebrew cans that easily handle 50bmg. I've also seen homebrew's that are much better built than most of the main manufacturers.

Not 'much experience' by any means, and I guess it largely depends on who's making the suppressor and their engineering/general metal working background, but for every good F1 can that you've seen, I'll show you about 3 that have failed. If you have the experience to build one correctly and safely then more power to you, but for the majority of shooters, especially those who are less technically inclined, I'd suggest sticking with manufacturers that do it for a living. Nothing wrong with either, just my personal experience.

hafejd30
12-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Gemtech one toi2
Gemtech hvt
Deadair sandman ti thunderbeast
Omega

The last two are on the way to him. Others he has in stock. These are non quick detach 30 cal models. Which is what I want

He can get anything tho...

Hope I got the names correct. It was all in one paragraph

WinnieTheBoom
12-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Gemtech one toi2
Gemtech hvt
Deadair sandman ti thunderbeast
Omega

The last two are on the way to him. Others he has in stock. These are non quick detach 30 cal models. Which is what I want

He can get anything tho...

Hope I got the names correct. It was all in one paragraph

Never any experience with the Gemtechs, but I do like the Omega a lot and you can never go wrong with a ThunderBeast.

Twinsen
12-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Liberty Freedom - quietest last I checked, best customer service in the industry
AAC Cyclone - beast with a proven track record
TBAC Ultra 9 and 7 - light, titanium

Feel free to check out the free suppressor testing data at NFAtalk.org

hafejd30
12-08-2015, 11:54 PM
I will be able to get my hands on and test, through my rifle, the following:

Gemtech One
Deadair sandman
Thunderbeast
Omega
Gemtech G5

I've narrowed to this so far. Anything else I'd need to order.