PDA

View Full Version : Action tools - what do you use?

Hair_Boxers
12-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Embarking on my first build so let the accumulation of fun new tools begin!

Barrel nut wrench: is the SSS worth the premium over the Wheeler? I am not going to mess with buying a smooth wrench, would rather replace the smooth nuts with notched ones anyway.

Barrel vise: what do you guys use? I am thinking hardwood blocks drilled out and in a big bench mount vise.

Action vise: thinking I don't need one...

Do you guys lubricate the barrel threads? I am running a chromoly barrel into a stainless action and all my experience in the past says use grease, ideally anti-seize in that situation.

LongRange
12-07-2015, 12:03 AM
Wheeler wrench davidson vise and no lube...but my barrels are stainless and swapped within 8 to 12 months.

Kaldor
12-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Ive only done a single barrel. I used the Northland wrench and a home built barrel vise. Very happy with the NSS wrench. My vise block coast me $3 to build, for the bolts. I use Aeroshell 33ms for the threads, just a light coat. I have a build thread in this forum if you want to see how I did it.

Iowa Fox
12-07-2015, 02:51 AM
Anyone have a picture of Jim's (NSS) action wrench as I need to order one in the next couple of days.

Kaldor, where did you get those orange vise jaw pads? Do they hold pretty good?

FW Conch
12-07-2015, 10:23 AM
I have always used anti-seize on the threads with good results. What can it hurt.

Taking the barrel off for the first time, it is better to hold the action than the barrel. I made my own action blocks out of oak, with an allen head cap screw to prevent the recoil lug from rotating, and a hole for an action bolt also.

It is not torque that is the problem with taking a new barrel off. It is the thread locker, or glue, or what ever huckey puck Savage uses on the threads, and the blueing process. Heat is your friend. About 300deg from a heat gun, and that stuff starts to liquify and bubble up from the barrel nut. Then it rotates very easily. If reverse torque alone is used, damage can occur. I have bought 4 barrels off eBay recently and three of them are scuffed from the barrel twisting in the blocks. It's a shame because it is so easily preventable.

I wonder if Savage uses thread locker as an accuracy enhancer ??? Or maybe they just don't want the barrel coming off that easily? What ever, it's there.

JMHO...Good Luck...Jim

P.S. Bill PA has the best set up I have seen if you search his posts! :-)

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 02:05 PM
The Viper barrel vise is really nice and not too expensive. Any of the nut wrenches will work just fine.

DrThunder88
12-07-2015, 02:21 PM
I like the Wheeler action wrench. Once I get the headspace set, I'll put a bit more torque on the action wrench bolts to lock the barrel in the threads. That way I know the barrel isn't moving when I torque the barrel nut.

Hair_Boxers
12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Fox - was wondering the same thing. Looks like a stock Bessey vise jaw pad - http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-Non-Marring-Vise-Jaw-Accessory-for-Use-on-Vises-with-Jaws-from-3-in-to-6-in-Wide-BV-NVJ/204986223?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-ZSzBRDp3ITHm5KO_JYBEiQA1JjHHPADxqKnuvf4RxnrpNUiBl0 IYPqrQWdGxtiblfCK260aAtBo8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Iowa Fox
12-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks for that link Hair Boxers. I must have missed seeing them at Home Depot while I have been shopping there. For that kind of money I'm going to get a pair for sure. I use my vise for a lot of things I don't want to mar and constantly struggling with padding.

Kaldor
12-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Anyone have a picture of Jim's (NSS) action wrench as I need to order one in the next couple of days.

I think I get those pads at Home Depot. They are the Bessey ones with a magnet in them. Good stuff.
Heres a link to Amazon for them: http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-BV-NVJ-Multi-Purpose-Vise-Jaws/dp/B0057PUEZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449599983&sr=8-3&keywords=bessey+pad

I have a pic of the NSS wrench in my build thread. Just buy it. Ive compared it against a Wheeler. Its better.

Kaldor
12-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Fox - was wondering the same thing. Looks like a stock Bessey vise jaw pad - http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-Non-Marring-Vise-Jaw-Accessory-for-Use-on-Vises-with-Jaws-from-3-in-to-6-in-Wide-BV-NVJ/204986223?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Tools%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-ZSzBRDp3ITHm5KO_JYBEiQA1JjHHPADxqKnuvf4RxnrpNUiBl0 IYPqrQWdGxtiblfCK260aAtBo8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the exact thing I have. Great pads!

Iowa Fox
12-08-2015, 03:19 PM
No turning back for me now. I mailed Jim, or should I say Brenda, a money order for a action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Thanks guys for the links on the vise pads..

Hair_Boxers
12-10-2015, 12:04 AM
No turning back for me now. I mailed Jim, or should I say Brenda, a money order for a action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Thanks guys for the links on the vise pads..

Looking like I'll be doing the same thing and getting the NSS barrel nut and action wrenches coming my way shortly. Looks like a good biz to support and good tools from what I've seen out there.

Welcome for the link.

Go HAWKS! Will be fun to see them in the Rose Bowl after a great season.

upSLIDEdown
12-10-2015, 02:53 AM
I use nothing but a barrel nut wrench and a pair of wooden blocks in my vise. I've done 4 this way so far with no issues at all.