PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 CM ladder/ ocw work up and range results

Pages : 1 [2]

LongRange
12-07-2015, 09:55 PM
I learned years ago while shooting a bow that if I want to shoot small I have to aim small. I normally shoot 1" squares but I aim at the corners, this gives me a defined aiming point. Your mileage may vary.
I use 3/4" dots for load development then switch to 1/2" dots to fine tune...i dont know why but its easier for me to hold on a dot than a square.

Rob01
12-07-2015, 10:05 PM
For 100 yard testing I like to use these two below. I like dots better than squares but really like diamonds especially farther out. Much easier to quarter with the 4 sides lining up with the reticle.

http://accurateshooter.net/targets/targetaccshooterx240.gif
http://accurateshooter.net/targets/reddotsx180.gif

LongRange
12-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks Rob i like those...are they in the link you post from AS?

LongRange
12-07-2015, 10:53 PM
I found them.

Rob01
12-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Yup they are. Sorry for late reply. I like the first for grouping and the second for putting one shot on each dot. The dots are about 3/8".

dlsculley
12-08-2015, 03:54 PM
You can go to Dan Newberry's forum site and download a good target format for the OCW test (http://practicalrifler.fr.yuku.com/topic/1269/OCW-OFFICIAL-TEST-TARGET#.Vmcy_b8auCc). The diamond shape makes it easy to bracket each target the same every time.
The reason for running the OCW test at 100 yds instead of longer distances is that any wind influence is minimized. Even in your situation with variable winds you should get good results at 100 yds.
While we all want small groups, what you are looking for is an area where 2 to 3 groups print in essentially the same place. That is a node where minor changes do not appreciably affect the point of impact. It is possible to get a really tight group next to a scatter node. With this group, very minor changes will greatly affect your point of impact.
After you shoot your test, you can join the forum at the link above. You can post your results there and get some good advice there. Dan himself will usually join in the discussion and point you in the right direction.
You can also find threads for 6.5 CM loads that others have tested.

FWIW,

Dennis

LongRange
12-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Yup they are. Sorry for late reply. I like the first for grouping and the second for putting one shot on each dot. The dots are about 3/8".

i printed out 10ea of the first 3 and if i ever get my 260AI barrel im going to use them during fire forming and load development and see how well they work for me.

doctnj
12-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Ok so I put my smaller bushing in my die and will be re running the cases I just shot. Where in the process do you anneal?

I was planning on tumbling, ultra sonic rinse, dry, anneal, re tumble for shine. then load as per normal

The cases I am tearing apart to re size. I guess I should stick with imperial wax instead of lanolin spray? I dont want to chance getting any on the primers. Also Im going to, of course, take out the de priming pin but leave the expander ball.

And last question. I actually have two additional calibers I probably need to tear down. The 338 lm is obvious in light of previous good suggestion. But I had also pre loaded up some average load 260 in preparation for break in process of new barrel. Accuracy wont really matter but I hate to put crap down the barrel of a good rifle. Thoughts on that one? Who cares, dont be stupid, tear them down?

LongRange
12-08-2015, 10:11 PM
I anneal after i de-prime then tumble then size.

Get some dry graphite for neck sizing...no greesy mess to clean up....most any hardware store will have it in the key and lock section...couple of buck for a tube.

Tear them down...no sense wasting barrel life with ammo you know might not shoot.

doctnj
12-08-2015, 11:11 PM
yes sir. I thought you would say that. will do. Lr is like my conscience.

doctnj
12-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Well I wanted to see exactly what the changes would do so I ran the brass I just shot and re loaded it instead of loading up some of my other brass I had on hand. I annealed it and sized it smaller. Much different feel when seating the bullets. One thing however that will be quite a bit different and I struggled with the idea, was I went ahead and loaded them so they would fit the mag. The loads before were single feeds. My goal is to get up to tactical prs type match shooting so they will have to fit the mag any how. But to some degree this will be comparing apples and oranges except since I hear hybrids arent as affected by seating depth maybe it will be close. Since my single feed length was really close to touching, going past max I would feel safer being away from lands initially and watching for pressure of the load by it self. Then if needed adjust the length back toward the lands later and look for pressure spikes. I have this run going up to 43.5 and am determined to follow the ocw by the letter. Now I just have to wait a week to shoot them. Out of town this weekend. Daughter has cheer competition.

LongRange
12-11-2015, 09:45 AM
i bet your best load will be up near your max charge...some where between 42 and 43g...im shooting the hybrids and they are not real seating depth sensitive..in my rifle from .025 to .040 off the lands they shoot very good but .035 is the sweet spot...brian litz designed the hybrids and suggest starting at .015 off the lands...personally id start at .025 off...find your charge weight and then play with seating....if your setting your max charge at 43.5g then your OCW loads should look like this....but id load up 2 each of the sighter rounds just in case you need to make a scope adjustment or something....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1449840262.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1449840262.jpg.html)

that makes a total of 24 rounds unless you load a couple extras...so youll need 10 targets to run the test...your 3 sighters will be shot at targets 1-2-and 3 one round at each target...then round 1 of the test 41.9g will be shot at target #4...round 2 42.2g at #5...round 3 42.5g at #6...round 4 42.8g at #7 round 5 43.1 at #8...round 6 43.4g at #9...round 7 43.7g at #10...and then you start all over with load #1 41.9g and shoot at target #4 and continue this pattern until you have shoot all your rounds...

i shoot my sighters back to back then let the barrel cool then shoot one round and let the barrel cool for a few minutes through the rest of the test...check each round for pressure signs as you shoot them and check every round as you go.

doctnj
12-11-2015, 10:08 AM
And you are shooting all at 100 yrds?

LongRange
12-11-2015, 11:16 AM
yes...if i was doing a mag rifle id break the rules and probably shoot the test at 200yds.

doctnj
12-12-2015, 02:15 PM
That sounds like a good idea. When I get my 338 out there I'll probably back it up a bit.

Ever do two rifles simultaneously? I know rebuilding a shooting position yada yada. But your waiting for barrel to cool so why not just move over to second rifle? Sure would fill in the time.

LongRange
12-12-2015, 03:17 PM
yes...and ive also shot different bullets or powders at the same time...and as far as shooting position goes if you dont have it down enough to drop from a standing position down to your rifle and fire a round on target within 10 or 15 seconds then some mounting practice is in order IMHO.