PDA

View Full Version : quality of non-accustock stock on 116?

jdm-v35
12-05-2015, 09:16 PM
New Savage owner here and I have a 116 XP in 338 WM. I am considering changing to the MDT LSS chassis, but not sure if its worth it or not. Rifle will be mainly used for hunting but maybe occasional fun range time. Won't be putting a ton of use on it though.

I was wondering how the quality of the OEM non-accustock stock is? is it reliable? I would like to use AICS mags, so debating either keeping the OEM stock and buying the AICS mag adapter, or going LSS chassis.

Any info/opinions on it would be appreciated. Thanks!

big honkin jeep
12-06-2015, 01:31 AM
I've been using my favorite 116FLCSAK in 30-06 since the mid 1990s with the plain old factory synthetic without issue.
It has seen in the thousands of rounds over the decades and still shoots the lights out.
Best group was 10 shots into .446 with hand loads from sand bags at 100 yards.
I love to tinker as much as the next guy but when a rifle shoots like that I aint messing with it.
I have a couple of more bedded into factory synthetics that are outstanding shooters as well.
Though maybe they don't have the cool factor I'm a big fan of the factory stocks even if I have to bed them or relieve them a little.
They do the job for me and I have found them to be Of reasonable weight, economical, sturdy, long lasting, and reliable.

jdm-v35
12-06-2015, 01:52 AM
thanks for the response! I am more in question of their reliability as many people told me theyre just cheap plastic. I dont mind it at all as long as it functions great. I may look into the CDI DBM instead. I would just rather be able to use 5 round AICS mags if possible.

jdm-v35
12-06-2015, 02:34 AM
So since I have a non-accustock with the molded bottom metal magwell(plastic) there is no DBM option. My only option is to go with a chassis as by the time I buy an accustock and DBM it would cost more than the chassis.

Richard
12-06-2015, 06:55 PM
If you want to change out the stock , check out Boyd's

big honkin jeep
12-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Some guy's claim they flex too much for them and some say the flex leads to the barrel touching the stock. I think it's more pronounced with a bi pod. I find bi pods to be too bulky and klunky so that's not a problem for me and prefer to shoot off of bags or can usually find something to prop on in the field. I can take my hand and push the stock into the barrel if I try but found that under "real world shooting conditions" it isn't a problem for me and nothing flexes like that or touches.
I have several accustocked rigs as well and they are pretty darn solid and I like them too. The only thing about the accustocked rigs is that there's not as much to tinker with.
In your shoes I'd probably break it in, work up a load, and shoot it. Maybe bed it down the road and being a .338WM maybe shorten it some and add more recoil pad LOL. :)

jdm-v35
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Will definitely take it out and put some rounds through it before modding! If it shoots fine as is and is reliable I may not touch it. Only thing I ordered so far is an extended bolt handle as it comes very close to the vortex scope and is hard to use. I will look into the boyds stock. any other recommendations?

jdm-v35
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Really liking the choate stocks or still looking at the MDT LSS. is it worth inletting the oem non-accustock and getting cdi bottom metal? and is it hard to DIY inlet it at home with a dremel?

Or should I go with the LSS setup.

FreqRideR
12-29-2015, 03:27 PM
338's got some kick. I noticed the recoil was reduced substantially on my 300wm when I swapped in a Boyds laminate. Much more pleasureable to shoot! Don't waste your time messin' with the stock stock! ;)

J.Baker
12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
For a hunting rifle you're not going to use much I think a chassis-style stock would be a big waste of money. The factory synthetic stock is very serviceable. It's not a great stock like a H.S. Precision or McMillan synthetic, but for a hunting rig it's more than adequate unless you plan on frequently using a bipod. If you still want to upgrade, look to Boyds for a laminate or Bell & Carlson for synthetic as they both offer quality hunting style stocks for very reasonable prices.

Take that money you were going to put into a chassis stock and buy yourself a good high-end scope as you'll get a lot more benefit and use from it than you would the stock.

jdm-v35
12-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks! Luckily i found a chassis for cheap so i ended up buying it. I had already bought a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 before even buying the rifle. I really like the scope so it should all work well together i hope

jdm-v35
12-29-2015, 07:36 PM
So this is the setup.
Savage 116 stainless in 338wm
Mdt lss xl chassis
Magpul fixed carbine stock
Hogue molded grip
Glades armory bolt handle
Vortex viper pst 4-16x50 on leupold rings

I also ended up buying a vortex ranger 1000 and nikon monarch 5 10x42 binoculars to compliment the setup.

dfriz
12-29-2015, 09:32 PM
I used Boyds on my 116 7mm really like it:peace:

jdm-v35
01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Ended up getting a luth ar mba2 instead of the magpul. Everything else is the same. Once stock comes in its done