PDA

View Full Version : Berger Bullets

PaddyD
12-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Man what a company..
I emailed them to inquire about purchasing factory seconds and was told no they did not sell seconds. However they did send me a free sample of bullets to try. They also sent two articles on just how to go about loading them for optimum results. Now I just wish I could actually afford the high prices for them. I know they're good, probably one of the best, but I can buy two boxes of Hornady 155 gr match bullets for the price of 1 Berger. Are they really that much better? Please share your comparisons with me.

darkker
12-05-2015, 04:02 PM
They really aren't hardly much more money than anyone else's match bullets, just ignore anything Potterfield. Just bought another bunch for my Creedmoor, the Hybrid Targets are $39, and the 142 SMK'S are $33. If that is a big enough difference to avoid the Berger's, you may not be able to tell the difference anyway.
What I mean by that is, if we are starting with a 300 factory pencil rifle, the bullets likely aren't what is holding you back.

They do fly very consistently, they have a tremendous honest BC. Many of them do have a CG/CP problem, and can't safely cross trans-sonic, they also cannot be pushed faster than anything else(within SAAMI Pressure).

Personally, if I want to shoot accurately to 1K on the cheap, I shoot CC's; they are only $24. But I also have 36 Mil of adjustment in my scope, and don't struggle dialing with distance. If you do, or can't adjust that much, then Berger offers a substantial advantage. As far as bet your life, HONEST accuracy; the answer is very muddy. I've yet to do it myself, and read so few who will take the time and give each option a fair shake at accuracy. The masses take to the internet and ask for "The" load, or just try what they have done before, and if it doesn't work, then the product is junk. I have accurate loads for everything I shoot, just haven't done a "who's tighter" shoot. The Berger BC *Should* make the average Joe more consistent against wind/Drop.

They do Pressure test a bit more consistently than some others, which speaks to jacket consistency.

Cheers

GaCop
12-06-2015, 08:23 AM
They really aren't hardly much more money than anyone else's match bullets, just ignore anything Potterfield. Just bought another bunch for my Creedmoor, the Hybrid Targets are $39, and the 142 SMK'S are $33. If that is a big enough difference to avoid the Berger's, you may not be able to tell the difference anyway.
What I mean by that is, if we are starting with a 300 factory pencil rifle, the bullets likely aren't what is holding you back.

They do fly very consistently, they have a tremendous honest BC. Many of them do have a CG/CP problem, and can't safely cross trans-sonic, they also cannot be pushed faster than anything else(within SAAMI Pressure).

Personally, if I want to shoot accurately to 1K on the cheap, I shoot CC's; they are only $24. But I also have 36 Mil of adjustment in my scope, and don't struggle dialing with distance. If you do, or can't adjust that much, then Berger offers a substantial advantage. As far as bet your life, HONEST accuracy; the answer is very muddy. I've yet to do it myself, and read so few who will take the time and give each option a fair shake at accuracy. The masses take to the internet and ask for "The" load, or just try what they have done before, and if it doesn't work, then the product is junk. I have accurate loads for everything I shoot, just haven't done a "who's tighter" shoot. The Berger BC *Should* make the average Joe more consistent against wind/Drop.

They do Pressure test a bit more consistently than some others, which speaks to jacket consistency.

Cheers

Well stated!

eddiesindian
12-08-2015, 01:14 AM
Buy some - try some - you be the judge.

stomp442
12-08-2015, 11:22 AM
The great thing about Berger is that your match bullet can also be your hunting bullet. They provide substantial benefits in a long range hunting applications and work amazing on game.