PDA

View Full Version : 6 point scraggle buck vs. Berger

Old Medic
12-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I continue to be impressed with those 130 gr VLD H bullets from Berger. Shot a 6 pt cull buck yesterday with "Norma", my 6.5x284. It's like a mini-grenade! BANG! Flop. DRT.
Just wish my lil 20" Remy .308 had the mag length to accommodate the seating depth.

big honkin jeep
12-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Well it isn't a Berger and it isnt an X284 but the 130s in the Barnes TTSX are haulin the mail from a .308 and have given me really good accuracy. I don't have any problem loading them in the mag.
Never really got decent accuracy from a light .30 until I tried them. They might be worth a try for your application.

wbm
12-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Congratulations. I found the 7mm 140 Berger VLD/H to be deadly on everything I hit it with. There is a "marathon" post on another shooting forum where the OP is attempting to trash Berger's. I don't even bother responding anymore. Some guys just can't shoot for s... but claim they made the "perfect shot" and then blame the bullet when what they are shooting at doesn't die. Watched a program the other night where a hunter was hunting cape buffalo using Hornady Dangerous Game ammunition in .458 ....took 5 shots to finally get the animal down. Most of the shots, including the first, were well placed. Some critters just don't want to die when you want them to.

darkker
12-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Medic,

Curious why you chose the 130's Vs. 140's in that 284?

Burdy
12-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Bang flop means nothing without providing yardage.

schnyd112
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Bang flop always matters... I have had to work far harder than need be because of hunters poorly placed shots. If an animal goes down in its tracks there is reason to celebrate. Every time. But I guess that's just my opinion.

On on the other hand... This thread is worthless without pictures!

earl39
12-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Bang flop means nothing without providing yardage.

Don't matter if it is 10 yards or 1000 yards. The fact is that with a bang flop you don't have to go looking for the animal.

GaCop
12-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Don't matter if it is 10 yards or 1000 yards. The fact is that with a bang flop you don't have to go looking for the animal.
Amen to that!

Burdy
12-08-2015, 12:37 PM
It matters because the information is useless if you don't provide context. I can say I hit a bang flop on a deer with my pellet rifle but if I don't tell you I ear-holed it at point blank range my statement is irrelevant. Educate us. It helps everyone.

stomp442
12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
The wife and I also killed bucks this weekend. She whacked a small two point at 824 yards with her .25-06 using 115gr Bergers. Shot placement was perfect behind the front shoulder and exited through the off side shoulder leaving an inch and a half diameter exit hole. Deer took ten wobbbly steps and then rolled down the mountain. Bullet performance was outstanding, internals were mush and upon skinning, the off side shoulder basically fell off once the skin was removed. Massive damage from such a little bullet. I also killed a small buck with my .260 Remington at 656 yards with a 140gr Berger VLD with the same massive internal damage and exit hole. My buck was quartering towards me facing down hill and I was shooting up hill. I hit him just above the elbow joint in the front shoulder and the bullet exited mid rib cage on the off side. I have been using Bergers almost exclussively now for about 15 years and they have worked great everytime.