PDA

View Full Version : Model 14 stainless / model 16

DennisATX
12-03-2015, 08:16 PM
So over the weekend, I went to check out a few rifles. Tikka T3, Rem 700, Ruger M77 and the Savage 16 trophy hunter combo.

The savage felt really nice and what I've heard it's a great shooter and the combo seemed like a pretty good deal. The only thing I'm not too keen on is the synthetic stock. I decided this was the one and headed home to check for best prices. Found some pretty good online prices... then I came across some photos of the 14 classic / stainless. Perfection! I like the stainless, but still like a real wood stock, so this one I really like. Search and search and more search and of course it's discontinued and nobody has any in stock.

So the question, do I wait for one to go on the market or just go with the model 16 and swap out the stock? Are there any other major differences?

foxx
12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
I really like the look and feel and quality of the American Classic. When comparing models, keep in mind some models with detachable box magazines are of cheaper quality than others. Savage website does not disclose the differences, either. So, if wanting to compare apples to apples, be sure to determine whether the magazines are the same design as the Axis models (cheaper) or the older, more traditional, all metal frame and spring-loaded retaining clip of the better, traditional detachable box magazine.

I have not seen any SS Classics listed anywhere for almost a year now. They might not be making them anymore.

YOu might want to go ahead with the model 16 and shop for a used American Classic stock or check out Boyds Gun Stocks

DennisATX
12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info foxx. The mag/frame seemed to be on the cheap-ish side, so I'd have to assume it's the axis style.

The fact that they're not longer in production almost makes me want one even more.

jfksc
12-06-2015, 02:27 PM
It would be cheaper to get the standard blued classic that comes with walnut stock and nice bottom metal, then have it cerakoted for about $150 versus getting the stainless gun with the synthetic stock and plastic bottom metal. The walnut boyds stock that will be most similar to the classic is over $200, the bottom metal and trigger gaurd will be another $150. The cerakote is a pretty good insurance policy against corrosion and you can get it in any color. Just had my 110 done (in matte black) and very happy with it. Their sniper grey color looks really nice with walnut too.

cs700
12-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Over the past week I have fallen in lust for a 6.5 Creedmore rifle. I was able to find 1 Model 16 Trophy Hunter XP in 6.5 Creedmore available & got it ordered. If it shoots anywhere like my 2 Model 12's & Axis II I will be more than happy.

justinp61
12-07-2015, 09:13 PM
I have a model 16 in 260 Remington and haven't (so far) found a H4350 load that it likes with 120/123gr pills. It shoots decent but not what I'd like. One thing that hurts is the round bottom fore end, it doesn't ride the bags well. I have a couple other powders to try next summer so I am by no means giving up. I really like the little rifle, it's lite and has very little recoil and I'm sure with the right load and bullet will shoot well.