PDA

View Full Version : Caliber Conversion/Re-Barrel Question

DogDoc
12-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Hello Folks,

First visit to your forum. I'm new to Savages and have a question.

I have a Savage 111 long action currently wearing a 6.5x55 barrel. I was wondering whether this rifle could be converted to 7mm Mag. I would obviously need a new barrel and bolt but would I need anything else? Will a long action work for a magnum caliber? Will the detachable box mag and stock still work?

Doc

67tundra
12-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Should work. But I'll give you a bump and a expert can jump in hopefully.

GaCop
12-04-2015, 08:46 AM
You'll need to change the mag box and follower for the magnum cartridge along with barrel and bolt head. The long action will work fine for any of the standard mag cartridges. The 338 Lapua is another matter, requiring Savages special action that's made for it. I'm not sure on what would be needed for a DBM setup never having owned one.

DogDoc
12-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks GaCop

When you say "mag box" are you referring to the magazine itself or the hardware in the stock?

WinnieTheBoom
12-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks GaCop

When you say "mag box" are you referring to the magazine itself or the hardware in the stock?

It depends what type of magazine system you want to use. The easiest route for you would be to go on CDi Precision's website and get the bottom metal for your rifle (LA, centerfeed most likely). Will run you about $300 all said and done. If you buy the bottom metal from CDi, they will inlet/install it on your stock for free, and that's generally the route that most people take.

Robinhood
12-04-2015, 11:23 PM
A question that I either missed or was not asked is what type of magazine do currently have and would you like to keep the same type or do you want something different. If yours is a center feed and the mag release is on the muzzle end of the magazine it is any easy swap. You just need the new mag box and follower as said above. The old one pops out and the new one pops in.