PDA

View Full Version : Couple of ELR builds (pic heavy)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

WinnieTheBoom
03-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Much appreciated, Scooter! Thanks for your help throughout the process :thumb:

Will definitely get a range report for the .338 this weekend. Put together the OCW test this evening and loaded up some rounds. Tentatively planning to zero @ 200 yards on Saturday, and then will see what she can really do on Sunday weather permitting. Thanks for the comment, the picture was taken with my Nikon DSLR camera that hasn't been used as much as it should be. Always have to take the opportunity to whore out some of my nice ones :p

scooterf79
03-16-2016, 12:40 AM
No problem! however I doubt I was much help lol. Look forward to seein the results! Hows the recoil on the 300 with the break? Im starting to research them some and Im curious to how well they work. Ive got a Nikon 1(guess it would be a compact SLR type of cam). I shoot some but need a lot of practice yet, and a couple more lenses. What settings did you use on that shot....it turned out really well.
Scooter

WinnieTheBoom
03-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Actually, you were the driving factor behind continuing to roll with the S/F action when I first acquired it, and I'm really glad that I did. So thanks for that!

The recoil on the .300 is negligible - and by that I mean the rifle barely moves. I'd say something similar to one of the 6.5 cartridges... I've started using Terminator Products Brakes for all of my rifles and I've not been unimpressed with one yet. I've used the T3B on both the .300wm and my .338, and now I have the T4 on the .338. Both are outstanding as far as recoil reduction goes. You definitely pay for them, but I don't believe you'll find a more effective brake. There are plenty of videos on YouTube testing them with various calibers and against other brakes - I'd suggest checking them out. I order all of them from Brian at Shoot-Long.com, who is an awesome guy, but I'd be more than happy to answer any additional questions if you had them.

As far as the camera goes, I'm only good enough to where I can play with the settings in manual mode and usually get the light how I want it, but if you asked me why those were the best settings under those circumstances I couldn't tell you. I just kinda play with it until I get a shot that I like. Move things around, change light source direction, camera settings, etc. It's honestly pretty fun when you can manage to get a decent pic out of it.

From Flickr, it tells me the following:
Aperture - ƒ/4.8
Focal Length - 53.4 mm
Shutter Speed - 1/100
ISO - 560
No flash

scooterf79
03-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Well, Im glad I could help lol.
Sounds good on the brake. I hopped online and glanced at them. Theyre definitely not cheap lol. Ive kinda glanced at the Fat B@stard ones a little bit...Ive heard some good things about those and LongRange uses the "tank" one. He seems pleased with his as well. Ill watch the ole youtube and check em out.

Thanks for the info on the camera....I know how I want the pics to turn out...in my head anyway but, seems I never get the lens to see it that way 😉. I use manual and mess with the settings some and will get some to turn out good, but thats part of it I guess, messing with em until you know to get it the way you want.
Scooter

WinnieTheBoom
03-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Was able to get the .338 out for the first time today. Got it zeroed and did my OCW test. First 5 shots at 200 yards...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1623/25793970192_2a2af9e00b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FijQG1)

The group isn't as tight as it looks since some of the paper just tore on impact (you can see 2 of the individual holes in the cardboard), but I was hitting golf balls at 400 yards and printing nice tight groups all day. So I think it's safe to say this one shoots well too. Planning to really stretch it's legs tomorrow if the weather holds up, but I'm super excited with how this thing turned out!

scooterf79
03-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Looks great Winnie! I do believe Youve got 2 shooters on your hands. Youve got one thatll hit like a truck at long range and then one thatll hit like the hammer of Thor! 👍
Scooter