PDA

View Full Version : regular or heavy

roland
06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
i am going to be getting a model 11 fhns soon in .308. i plan on using this for target shooting. my questions are does anyone have one of these guns and what is the recommendation as far as the bbl goes. does it heat up quickly? should it be replaced with a heavier bbl? if so what? what scope recommendations (in $250-$300 range) how do you like the accustock?

i appreciate any info you can send my way. thanx to all

pdog06
06-16-2010, 11:05 PM
If you are gonna use this for target only you dont want a sporter barrel as it will heat up quick. Plus the stock isnt the best for bench work and you dont really need the hinged floorplate.

You would be better to look into either the 10fp, 12fv, or 12vlp. They all have a heavy contour barrel, but are also more expensive.

As far as scopes, buy the best glass you can within your budget. That doesnt always mean the most expensive either. If you sell yourself short here, it will haunt you later.

Welcome to the forum.

possum1
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't have the exact same rifle but close. My 111 accu-trigger non accu-stock; better than the Stevens stock though, in .243 with sporter barrel. In sub-90* weather I can fire 5-shot group's, when the weather get's hot like it is now I can shoot 3-shot group's no problem, but it's my go to deer rifle too. Like pdog post if straight target shooting get a heavy barrel. One thing for sure you will change the stock and probably the barrel sooner or later,if your like me the temptation is too much.

roland
06-16-2010, 11:53 PM
thanx to possum and pdog for the info. i was looking at heavier bbls at e a brown. any in put as to if this would be the way to go. is e a brown a good company? thanx

possum1
06-17-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sure ea brown is a good company. BUT...... take my advice and give Jim Briggs a call at NSS, you'll make a friend for life and get a good deal. He will also anwser any question's you have and walk you through the process.

ellobo
06-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Ditto on Jim Briggs. You cant go wrong there.

El Lobo

GaCop
06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
E.A Brown barrels are a step above Adams and Bennett's but no where near a Shilen, Lilja, Douglas or Lothar Walther.