PDA

View Full Version : sneek peek at .260 build

doctnj
12-02-2015, 08:20 AM
I will do a detailed build report and accuracy report but the barrel and bolt pics I got yesterday were so cool I had to share them.

This is the barrel with brake. Thats a 27" bartlien barrel mtu taper.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/001.jpg.html?o=1

And the top left is the bolt.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/002.jpg.html?o=0

They were going to put a fluted bolt knob on like the other one but there was a thread issue. If they were able to resolve it they were going to install. If not, I told them I could live with plain knob since the barrel turned out so nice.

p.s. the whole project should be at my door step as early as this weekend.

rbp75503
12-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Nice. Who is doing the work for you?

doctnj
12-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Twisted barrel out of WY did all the fluting and cerakote. The other bolt in the pic is another example of Marty's work. He is a craftsman.

minnesotamulisha
12-02-2015, 09:15 AM
That's pretty. Nice job.

LongRange
12-02-2015, 09:24 AM
very nice cant wait to hear how it shoots...keep detailed reports and post or let me know...very interested in hearing how that fluted barrel shoots.

doctnj
12-04-2015, 01:26 AM
LR you have to keep in mind that the barrel started off as a bartlien mtu taper. That is a heavy barrel. I have gone back over 10 years of on line conversations both for and against fluting in general. I could find not definitive science, only opinions, and biased as they could be. I am inclined to agree that the diameter if the barrel takes on the diameter between depth of opposing flutes and therefore the flexibility of that thinner barrel. So I am taking one of the Thickest barrels and cutting a non linear, but ovoid patterns into the top,a few thow of the surface. I am waiting for a peer reviewed research article showing a conclusion that flutes either help or harm a barrel once and for all. you know thats never going to happen. hmmmm

LongRange
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
wasnt meant as a fluted vs non fluted barrel comment because i to have read everything i could find on fluted vs non fluted and come to the same conclusion you have. so with you having a high end fluted barrel im truly interested to hear your thoughts...i really like some of the fluting ive seen but have never had any done #1 i go through barrels pretty quick so fluting isnt cost effective for me #2 because shilen advises against it and wont warranty if its been done.

doctnj
12-04-2015, 12:23 PM
I totally get it. Of course I have two savages that come fluted, however straight. They shoot quite fine. Reading up on it I decided finally that tibasaurusrex ? on youtube his sniper 101 really covers fluting quite well. The decrease in functional diameter was the guiding decision to go with big heavy mtu bbl. So many people say I shoot a light palma. OK then, what I have left after fluting is still more diameter than a light palma. Now as far as function we will see. There are soooo many factors involved in the sonic wave of a barrel from material, shape, atmospheric condition, temperature just to name a few. And I speculate for one person to say definitively that fluting caused their barrel not to shoot has apparently not seen the top pros bring 40 different barrels to the top competitions to see which one functions good with that load under the conditions the range has that day.

So I get 100 % of the cool points and an undetermined amount of picking a really good barrel points. Im fine with it. Then I could not know what the hell Im talking about. lol

doctnj
12-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Have my scope and rings in truck. Hoping it is here by lunch so I can pick it up. Cant wait.

LongRange
12-04-2015, 08:13 PM
what scope and rings did you go with Doc?

doctnj
12-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Here is a picture of the rifle all together. I did not get the scope put on today. They forgot to send the 20 moa rail that goes with the cadex chassis. Ill go over the entire rifle front to back with a bunch of pictures after I get the scope on and a detail of all the hands that went into putting this thing together.

http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151204_190011.jpg.html?o=0

They said they were sending the rail over night but that was after hours and I live in a one horse town. so should be tuesday. lol

doctnj
12-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Here is a few more
http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151204_192831.jpg.html?o=2
http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151204_192857.jpg.html?o=0
http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151204_192841.jpg.html?o=1
http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151204_192849.jpg.html?o=0

again Ill go into detail later.

doctnj
12-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Any way I think when all is said and done I will do a you tube review at the range and also so you can get an idea of this ridiculously awesome trigger pull!!
It is a jewell and may actually be down to just a few ounces, a few may be an over estimation. But I could not get it to slam fire or fire out of battery.

Let me first say how I ran into Darc Ops Armory. I was shoping for an RPR on gun broker and found one of there customs over there with the complete cadex chassis with a folding but stock for quite a bit more than I wanted to pay. They started showing me options to cut costs like the prs mag pul stock which I am familiar with. Its on all of my other guns. They ran down various projects in progress and what calibers they were and I settled on 260. I caught a ton of crap from guys at the hide because I wasnt using the regulars. I just had a feeling about these guys. A gut feeling that it was fine. And I can say except for some gaps in communication it was fine enough there. Watching how this was handled I think I have a handle on how things go over there. They take good fire arms and make them great fire arms by using the right people in the right positions to get it done. They act as the general manager per say because its likely your rifle will see work done in several shops by various smiths that are good at the part they are going to do for this particular weapon. Apparently they start off with new action/barrels and send them off for re barreling and accurization and blueprinting. But after this was done I wanted a break installed and flutes. The rifle was then sent to Marty in WY to be fluted at twisted barrel. Craftsman extraordinaire. He was to put on a fluted knob but for some reason there was a thread mis match between the male porting of the arm and female portion on the knob. So because no one could sa "Hay I know what to do" I just stayed with oversize bolt knob. I did learn that the smith that trued the action and blue printed the fit with the action was a man name Gene Williams in Texas.

Although yes they for got a part I need to put the scope on. They sound like they are going to get it out asap. Here is the other down side. After I paid all the money the communication became more and more sporadic. Finally this new guy I finished with did a fine job putting out the fires and getting me taken care of.

I priced a build with same components a gap and I would have to provide the stock and it would be slightly less lead time but more expensive at the end. It seems that Gene Williams has quite the following as dose Marty of Twisted Barrels.

So it seems to me that Darc ops role in all this is some kind of a gun build general manager, using quality starting materials and great smiths along the way producing some fine fire arms once all said and done. I may have needed a bit more information up dates more so than average. But this also being my first experience I wanted to know what was going on. After all I wrote a couple big checks. Im sure the second time around will feel differentl MAYBE. And yes even without fireing it yet, I have put in an order for a 6.5 creedmoor just like it. with a deadline. My wifes birthday!!!!

doctnj
12-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Sorry LR I missed your question. The scope is the vortex vyper pst. 6-24x50 with of course the ebr2c reticle. I will use and have used the vortex rings in medium height. That ring height keeps just enough room to slide on a bc cap. I like my scope height to be 1.5 inches if possible. well off to bed gotta go get a deer in the morning hopefully. The rail was a blessing in disguise. If i had gotten the rail I would have been dying to come out of the woods and hardly hunted at all just so I can shoot the new gun. The Bartlien guys say no official break in is needed with their barrels however I am going to do the normal careful break in I give all my new barrels. again outlined on sniper 101.

GaCop
02-16-2016, 08:48 AM
That's one he!!uva good lookin rig! :thumb:

WinnieTheBoom
02-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Outstanding!! Can't wait to see how she shoots! My money is on it being a tac driver, fluting or no fluting.

Doc, is that the DOA in Shawnee, OK? Only reason I ask is that there's one here in SC as well based out of the range that I shoot at... He gets some crazy stuff in there and I believe he even does some testing for the military, but I don't think they're related in any way. Either way, looks like they did a nice job getting that thing all put together, I don't think I want to know what it cost though :eek:

Front Royalty
02-16-2016, 09:49 AM
THAT'S NOT A SAVAGE! :)

Looks great man. Nice build!