PDA

View Full Version : F/TR in .223?

TrxR
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone here have a F/TR in a .223? If so how do you like it? Any problems? What does it seem to like for ammo? I am seriously considering one of these for my first target rifle.

Thanks

King Ghidora
06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I very nearly bought one but in the end I was turned off by the adjustable cheek piece. I could just see it needing to be replaced in a decade or so while the rest of the rifle was still good for another 100 years. So I bought a 12 LRPV instead. I like the stock better and I don't think the extra 4" of barrel will help my accuracy all that much. I can always buy a longer barrel later on.

I really love the LRPV. Other than being too heavy to even consider firing off hand (for me anyway) it is nearly a perfect rifle IMO. The trigger is fantastic but yet there are even better triggers available if I decide to upgrade. The accuracy is stunning for a newbie at long range shooting like me. I've seen it done enough to know what to do. I just had never done it myself or at least not to the distances I've been shooting. I've been able to consistently hit a gallon jug at 400 yards. I realize that others shoot small groups at that distance but give me some time (and a better scope which I'm working on right now) and I can get my group size down considerably I'm sure. I'm still working on the best round for this gun too. The thing is it seems to shoot off the shelf ammo very well except for Wolf. I didn't really expect it to shoot that well. My friend bought that ammo for me. I wouldn't have bothered trying it to be honest.

I have shot a dozen different rounds through this rifle so far and every one of them has worked well. I haven't been able to shoot enough to determine which shoots better because for one thing I need someone with a good spotter scope (which I'm also working on) and more time at the gun range which is the only place I can shoot 400 yards in my part of the world without worrying about letting a round get away from me. But the scope I have has worked fairly well for a relatively cheap scope (a Simmons 6-18x50 with AO). I intend to put a
Weaver 36X on this rifle until I can afford a really top notch scope. I've had good luck with the Weavers. I have one on my MkIIBTV rimfire.

Pretty much everything on the LRPV is the same as what's on the F/TR except for the stock and the longer barrel. I think you will find the F/TR a very good rifle. I know I love my LRPV.