PDA

View Full Version : fcp-sr chatter marks

mauserman028
11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
I have a brand new savage fcp-sr the bore has some tooling chatter marks is this normal they are close to the crown...
What should I do ??.. I got it new from a local gun shop here in Kentucky about a week ago ..

vincent7
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
join the club... my gun shoots fine, but yes, it's ugly / looks cheap. think i might shorten it an inch, undecided yet.

sixonetonoffun
11-29-2015, 10:44 PM
This is kind of hard to read as paragraphs run together. But Nathen Foster goes into detail on this topic. Much more in depth then most internet hacks.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/How+To+Break+In+a+Rifle+Barrel.html

mauserman028
11-29-2015, 11:31 PM
I been reading a lot of the time savage will not replace a barrel...They will just send it back.

vincent7
11-30-2015, 02:06 PM
I been reading a lot of the time savage will not replace a barrel...They will just send it back.

they did in my case....

eddiesindian
12-01-2015, 11:49 PM
ive got tooling marks on my LRP in 260 that's making me clean the barrel every 50 or so rounds. it copper fowls the barrel quickly which directly effects my consistancy
I lapped the barrel myself which helped it considerable but im wanting to go a little further before I rebarrel.
Im going to give this a go........ http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513887/tubb-final-finish-bore-lapping-system-308-caliber-and-762mm

sixonetonoffun
12-02-2015, 02:04 AM
That bad still?

Figued it would settle in after 100 rounds or so.

You will pick up some freebore after firelapping from what I understood.

Might be able to really seat those vlds out long :-)

I have only had 1 savage barrel copper foul enough to destroy accuracy. (Like 10 rounds done!) it finally settled In after the 120 mark.

eddiesindian
12-03-2015, 02:12 AM
I'm seating the vld,s at .002 of the lands. The repeatability of this barrel to give me 3/8" patterns is there. But the process for me to get it there is a pain. I have to send 5-8 fowler s thru it, get it a bit warm, then it gives me accuracy to hit 4 " clay s @1k easily. Blows my mind. But after close to 40-50 through the tube? ...its done even with me lapping the heck out of it.
Either I get used to cleaning? Or rebarrel. If Santa wasn't grabbing for my pockets right now? I'd of already ordered a barrel.
Lapping it has without a doubt increased the accuracy, but the cleaning part just piss,s me off.
This is my first savage with a barrel that is sub par. All others have been dead on.
Oh well

adammiddagh
12-03-2015, 08:35 AM
I ended up with a new custom bull barrel for incredibly cheap at auction. But it would have an orange bore by shot 4. Even after break in. Excellent accuracy though.

I ran accross a product called Smooth Kote Barrel Coating. Follow the directions to leave a thin graphite/moly coating in the bore. Now I can clean when I feel like it with minimal copper fouling. After it dries, i also put a little powdered graphite on a patch and swap the barrel with it. In their directions, that is optional.

Txhillbilly
12-03-2015, 10:52 PM
My 110 FLP 25-06 that I had the Savage Custom shop assemble for me a few years ago had the worst wash board barrel that I've ever seen. It would only shoot 100 grain bullets,and was a copper mine after a couple dozen rounds. I hand lapped the barrel twice,and only after shooting the Tubb's Final Finish fire lapping bullet kit did the barrel come around.
It will shoot almost any weight of bullet now,and doesn't copper foul easily. It cleans very easy now,and shoots like a laser.

sixonetonoffun
12-03-2015, 11:48 PM
eddiesindian,

The fire lapping sounds like it will work. I would probably skip the first 2 course steps or just a couple?
Just think they would be harsh on the throat.

Maybe load em with trailboss or 5744. I think the slower the better.

I hear ya on x-mas. Just put tires on my oldest girls car today with my holiday bonus.

eddiesindian
12-04-2015, 10:37 PM
eddiesindian,

The fire lapping sounds like it will work. I would probably skip the first 2 course steps or just a couple?
Just think they would be harsh on the throat.

Maybe load em with trailboss or 5744. I think the slower the better.

I hear ya on x-mas. Just put tires on my oldest girls car today with my holiday bonus.
here-here. Its more important to acquire the things we need as opposed of what we want. Man upstairs gifted you with children, that takes top priority, but it never hurts to pull good ole Santa aside and give him some hints of what you,d like anyway.
Ive already ordered the lapping rounds. I agree with pushing them thru the tube lightly as well. theres no reason for speed. as long as they come out the muzzle?...then alls well.
Ive read several threads of shooters going the full coarse and sending all lapping pills thru the tube. that's more than likely what Im going to do. imo its going to be the only thing to smooth out the tooling marks (not chatter marks).
what gets me is the extreme accuracy out of this barrel when its "just right". (and if im not mistaken)...we shooter/reloaders always want it....(just right).
the only other rig that comes close to this barrel are my 223 big bull barreled target rigs.

To the OP........sorry for jacking your thread. I think that what everybody has said on your subject is great info. Im always willing to take notes.

mauserman028
12-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Right now my fcp-sr is not doing to good...I tried braking in the barrel and jb bore paste....It will shot 3 in a dime size group and throw the forth one...
Its doing some weird stuff ....I was using IMR4895 and sierra match 150gr.. Tomorrow I am going to try IMR 4064 and and varget and some nosler 155 custom competition bullets.. Make a day of testing

eddiesindian
12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Ive used 44.0gr of varget and 150gr smks with great results but by rig is a FCP-HS 1-11.25 twist.
todays a good day for testing here in southwest texas. just wish I was up for it.