PDA

View Full Version : accuracy with handloads

bythebook
11-26-2015, 10:11 AM
I have been loading since 1965 and countless number of guns. Yesterday I saw good example of something I have seen a couple of times but not often. My Son brought his 308 pump over to shoot it in, this gun always shot spot on and 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at least. When we tried it 2 to 3 inch groups was the best we could get. We checked everything and could not find anything wrong. I looked at the ammo and asked him when I had loaded it, he said at least 3 yrs ago. I took 5 rounds back into the load room and adjusted the seating stem about 1 turn deeper and ran the rounds through it and I could feel it pop loose. We shot them and it put 5 into a little less than 3/4 group at 100 yds. The bullets and case had formed a chemical bond, I have heard about this and experenced it a couple of times but not lately.

LongRange
11-26-2015, 10:35 AM
The exact reason why i dont load large amounts of ammo or let loaded ammo sit more than a week or so. Several of the guys at our comps load for the year right before the season starts but seat their bullets .010 long and then run them through the seater right before a comp.I usaully load the night before.

yobuck
11-26-2015, 11:15 AM
It can be a serious issue if max loads are involved.
Especially with pump guns.

Jaysee
11-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Why does this not affect factory loads.. that could at factory for a while, then out for delivery overseas, then be sat on a shelf for months?

LongRange
11-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Why does this not affect factory loads.. that could at factory for a while, then out for delivery overseas, then be sat on a shelf for months?

this is a good question and im not sure but im going to guess because all the components are clean and free of oils,sizing lube,soot or other crud in the necks from reloading.

Jaysee
11-27-2015, 02:21 PM
this is a good question and im not sure but im going to guess because all the components are clean and free of oils,sizing lube,soot or other crud in the necks from reloading.

I'm prob'ly a bit anal.. but always ensure 'all the components are clean and free of oils, sizing lube, soot or other crud in the necks' so I should be ok to load weeks before :smile-new:

barrel-nut
11-27-2015, 04:08 PM

Factory loads are usually crimped pretty hard from the factory anyway, and this is probably harder to overcome than the sticky necks, so it probably doesn't even show a difference over time. Just my guess.

LongRange
11-27-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm prob'ly a bit anal.. but always ensure 'all the components are clean and free of oils, sizing lube, soot or other crud in the necks' so I should be ok to load weeks before :smile-new:

yes i think weeks or a month or two but i personally wouldnt let it sit much longer...i stainless tumble my brass every firing and can still see a light brown film on the necks not shinny like the out side is or like new brass.

67tundra
11-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Would putting nail polish around the neck and primer help with this? I normally load a couple hundred rounds for my ar at a time. they have set over a year with no accuracy problem that I've noticed.

folmonty
11-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Another reloading variable I'd never even thought of?? Wouldn't even say how old some reloads are out of embarrassment. At least they're stored in a good environment. Anticipating buying a new .308 and just ordered all the reloading equipment before buying the gun. Guess I'd better cool it if expecting to shoot well right out of the box.

tufrthnails
12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
I think this is what me and my cousin ran into a few weeks ago while sighting in his .270win. I loaded his rounds two seasons ago. they shot quite big groups. lucky I had brought loading equipment for my other cousin to use since his house burned down last june. I also ran the rest of his loads in approx .010 to .012 in and it went back to 1" groups at 100 yards. I noticed a little bit of crude built up around the crimp. the rounds where loaded sept of 2012 on the box. Before I tried setting them short we shot a few of the box i brought for him that I had loaded in Oct this year for the trip. and they shot just like the ones I had loaded years before according to my load data. I wasn't certain of what was going on until I read this thread. I had never thought of this but it makes sense. I never have a load last longer then a season. I usually shoot anything I have left after the hunting season while practicing.

67tundra
12-02-2015, 07:41 AM
So is there any way to prevent this from happening if you load in bulk?

GaCop
12-02-2015, 08:52 AM
So is there any way to prevent this from happening if you load in bulk? Very good question. Off hand, I don't know if there's any way to avoid the problem.

67tundra
12-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Keeping your hands clean and all oil and contaminates away while priming and loading the bullets is all I can think that would help.

earl39
12-02-2015, 06:43 PM
May be why mil-spec ammo uses an asphalt like sealant on their ammo just so it doesn't form that bond.

fgw_in_fla
12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3789301.msg36084356#msg36084356
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3785592.msg36069355#msg36069355
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3866857.msg36625784#msg36625784

I used to polish the inside of case necks and had bullets stick much like what was described - a definite *pop* sound when reseating a bullet a little deeper after they set for a few days / weeks.
I stumbled upon the info above some years back and still scroll thru it once in a while.

Bottom line - I always leave a little soot / staining / residue / foul inside the case neck. They haven't stuck since...

Just a little info from yer 'ol Uncle Frank.

PS - some of those threads are a bit long. You may have to go back to page 1 to read all the info.