PDA

View Full Version : A question for those with an XLR Evolution chassis.

Pages : 1 [2]

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 09:33 AM
The finish on the cheek rest will start to wear down after you adjust it a few times, so it should be pretty easy to get it back to your preferred settings without much of a hassle. Also consider moving the cheek rest back a little further providing your eye relief is still good... I was able to on mine and can remove the bolt without having to adjust it.

Chassis looks great, and be sure to post up your impressions after your 1st range session.

NicfromAlabama
12-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Chassis looks great, and be sure to post up your impressions after your 1st range session.

Thanks. I might go out behind the house and shoot a bit today if I can motivate myself. I'm over most of my sickness, but took a day off from work, as I'm still not that great.

The finish on the cheek rest will start to wear down after you adjust it a few times, so it should be pretty easy to get it back to your preferred settings without much of a hassle. Also consider moving the cheek rest back a little further providing your eye relief is still good... I was able to on mine and can remove the bolt without having to adjust it.

Yeah, I need to tinker with it some more until I get everything where I want it. I think I have my scope a little too far back and was going to move it forward some, but I will probably just move the cheek rest back like you suggest.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

NicfromAlabama
12-07-2015, 03:04 PM
I shot with the chassis a little while ago. I mainly wanted to get everything adjusted like I wanted. Point of impact was probably about an inch higher than in the old stock. I did not shoot much and no groups that I shot were spectacular. Mirage was terrible. I started out with a low grain load of 178 grain bullets and clean barrel. The group wasn't bad for a clean barrel. I then shot 4 5-shot groups of Nosler 190 grain overrun bullets that I bought for a decent price. None of the 190 grain groups were that good. Just to make me feel better, I then shot one last group of 178 grain bullets. It wasn't too bad considering I swapped back over to them.

So, I did not accomplish much, other than getting everything adjusted and test for function. I was hoping the 190 grain bullets would shoot better, but the groups I shot were on the low end of the ladder, and I have more to shoot before I get to the upper end of the loads. I figured they need to be pushed harder to shoot well with the 1:11.25 twist barrel, if they shoot well at all for me.

I did enjoy the comfort of the stock.

WinnieTheBoom
12-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Yeah I'd probably stick in the 168gr range.... 190 is way heavy for that barrel twist.

NicfromAlabama
12-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'd probably stick in the 168gr range.... 190 is way heavy for that barrel twist.

I figured I would try them as I have several. I bought them for shooting subsonic rounds with my 300 Blackout since they were so cheap at the time. I may play with them a little bit longer, but I will be surprised if I see any success using them.