PDA

View Full Version : savage axis 2 build

savage83
11-24-2015, 02:20 PM
I purchased a savage axis 2 in 22-250. And I love the rifle. I'm going Friday to buy another in a 308. I wanting to do a custom build and rebarrel to a 260. Yes I do reload. Can I get your opions on who to use for barrels. I will get a boyds stock. I would like a heavy barrel. I like the trigger on the rifle but I'm sure there is better ones. Thanks in advance.

DrThunder88
11-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Jim at Apache Gun Works is taking orders again, and his work is very well regarded at a very affordable price. I have one of his on my 300 Win Mag Axis, and it's a very good shooter. I have two more in the works with Jim, one an X-caliber tube, which I expect to be even better. The downside to Apache is the wait. Great products at great prices means people are beating down his door! Well worth the wait though.

I also see The Barrel Outlet is having a sale offering 15% off any order. They make McGowen barrels exclusively. I have one from TBO on my 6.5 Creedmoor Axis, but I haven't shot it enough to comment on the accuracy. The price is almost twice as much as Apache's basic barrel but their turnaround time for a custom barrel can't be beat.

Of course you don't need a custom barrel. My first replacement barrel was an off-the-shelf Shilen from Midway, and it has served me very well. Several of our forum sponsors carry prefits that are ready to ship and may fit your needs. Northland, for example, carries two grades of Shilens (match and select match) and Criterion. Both are great choices. Gun Shack carries Shaw and McGowen barrels, both of which are reputed to be shooters. Finally, Accurate Barrels stocks X-caliber prefits. I've heard enough good things about X-caliber that I'm having one built for my favorite rifle once its current barrel wears out.

Rosco
11-24-2015, 02:58 PM
And dont forget GunShack!! They have a nice selection as well.

savage83
11-24-2015, 03:20 PM
I've been looking through the vendors. I like apache website. I'm not rich by no means. And I'm just getting into shooting. I've hunted my whole life. The furthest I've ever killed a deer is 150 yards. But since I bought the 22-250 I been shooting alot. And shooting longer distances. Just broke the 400 yard mark couple weeks ago. Hit a gallon milk jug 4 times lol. I know that's not saying much but it was a accomplishment for me.

Newtosavage
11-25-2015, 11:46 PM
I've been looking through the vendors. I like apache website. I'm not rich by no means. And I'm just getting into shooting. I've hunted my whole life. The furthest I've ever killed a deer is 150 yards. But since I bought the 22-250 I been shooting alot. And shooting longer distances. Just broke the 400 yard mark couple weeks ago. Hit a gallon milk jug 4 times lol. I know that's not saying much but it was a accomplishment for me.

That would be an accomplishment for me as well. I'm looking hard at the Axis in 22-250 right now, esp. considering I can get one for $199 after the rebate. My daughter isn't a huge fan of shooting her .243, and I'm thinking a 22-250 would be just right for her.

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with yours.