PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 P-PR .308 Base and Rings

Jakemore71
11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Long-Range noob here building first LR rifle. Got my hands on a Savage Model 10 P-SR, and Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and MRAD to top it off with. I am now researching rings and mount for this set up, and my question is this. I've read a 20MOA base and .87 rings will work. Will that work with heavy barrel and oversized bolt handle as far as clearance? Also, throw me your ideas on mounts and rings. I like high quality bang for the buck. Probably even classify me as a buy once, cry one and eat bologna sandwiches the rest of the month type guy. Thanks for your help in advance.

Robinhood
11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
The additional height of the tactical base will give you extra room for the 50mm bell so in my opinion you are good to go. You can buy a less expensive base like Weaver or EGW and be very happy. Bedding them to the action with a release agent on the action helps. Or you can go with something like a Ken Farrell. They have an extreme recoil model called the G-Force (not for Target actions) if your concerned about that. I like QD rings for storage reasons but not every one agrees. Warne, TPS Vortex or APA are good and if you want to go high end Nightforce, Seekins or Spuhr. It never hurts to lap with some very fine to see what you got.

Jakemore71
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
I've run across the Ken Farrell more then a few times in my research. I'll research a little more on those. Have read good things about the TPS too, as far as bang for the buck. Lapping will happen on down the line too. I'm confident with any task. Just need to research a little.
I'm also a fan of QD mounts. Own an American Defense mount I love on one of my rifles. Are QD mounts used often in a long range application? Also, does the .87 leave plenty of room for a flip cover on my rifle? Thanks for your time.

Robinhood
11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
There are so many combinations you would need to talk with somebody who sold optics and mounts for a living to get a good answer. If you look at a few numbers it can give you a good approximation. Action diameter 1.350, Barrel diameter 1.00, mount height ?, Scope ring height scope bell diameter ? If you figure everything from center line.... The top of the action is .175 above the barrel. If the mount is .250 thick and the scope ring center line is 1.000 then the center line of your scope is 1.425 above the barrel. A 50 mm objective Sightron SIII is 2.285 on diameter leaving us with a radius of 1.1925. 1.425 - 1.193 = .232. you will have almost 1/4 inch clearance for a lens cover. you will have to punch in your numbers.

Jakemore71
11-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Great info. I'm on it.

GeoBoy
11-23-2015, 11:38 PM
I bought a Near Mfg. steel base and Burris Signiture rings for my model 10, very happy with both.

Jakemore71
11-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Just took a look at the Near bases. Had never heard of them. Look solid. I'm guessing they're on the "high end" spectrum. Is your Model 10 set up for Long Range shooting? Did you go with aluminum or steel, on base? I've seen that if you're gonna do mainly bench rest shooting steels the way to go. What would make people steer clear of aluminum for long range shooting? I feel I'd have no problem lugging a heavie rifle through the woods. I guess the military helped that mentality.

WinnieTheBoom
11-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Any 20 MOA base will be fine (Weaver, EGW, etc.), but don't cheap out on the rings. I personally use ARC rings on all of my long range rigs, but some may consider them to be overkill. I've also had more than a few sets of Ken Farrell rings and can assure you that they are top notch. Buy a good set of rings and be done with it - don't worry about lapping them either - any of the good quality manufacturers (Nightforce, Seekins, etc.) are going to be more than fine from the factory, so unless you end up with a set of Weavers or something then don't worry about it.

Jakemore71
11-24-2015, 11:01 AM
You guys have opinions on aluminum vs. steel bases?

Jakemore71
11-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Just checked out American Rifle Company rings. Look like tanks!! I'm also a firm believer in buying once. Thanks for info.

WinnieTheBoom
11-24-2015, 11:53 AM
You guys have opinions on aluminum vs. steel bases?

Nah, doesn't really matter.

Jakemore71
11-29-2015, 08:00 PM
I think I'm going with the Seekins Precision 30mm rings-Medium (.87), and Seekins Precision 20MOA steel base I found on a Black Friday deal. Hard to pass up.

bearcatrp
11-29-2015, 11:45 PM
I have a set of 4/6 cap Seekins rings on my 10T and a SWFA 20x42 SS scope. Don't think they sell them anymore but the 4 cap rings will work. Don't forget to get a scope torque wrench. Not that expensive.

Jakemore71
11-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Are the 4 cap Seekins Precision rings on the lighter side? Thanks for the torque wrench info. I'm ordering that now. Also, do you use thread locker (blue)?

bearcatrp
11-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Not quite as wide as the 6 cap. I also have a set of 4 caps on another rifle. Awesome rings. Use a torque wrench made for scopes and you won't have issues. Always a good idea to check the torque after a shoot. I do any have never had a scope slip on me. I don't use thread lock. Others I know do. I plan on switching scopes in the spring and will use the 4 cap rings, which will work fine for 308. Hanging on to the 6 cap for when I get another big bore rifle.