PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Just bought a new Mark II FV-SR!

Dougs951s
11-22-2015, 01:43 AM
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and ask a few questions. My name's Doug, I've been a pistol shooter for awhile (own a beretta cheetah .380 and a stainless slide ruger SR9c) but just purchased my first rifle, the aforementioned FV-SR. I was on the fence for awhile between the FV vs the SR, but finally decided that for a .22, 16" barrel wasnt giving up any accuracy vs the 21" and the addition of the picatinny rail, the nicer bolt handle, and of course the threaded barrel was worth the extra $35 dollars I paid vs the regular FV. I'll be shopping for optics next and am looking for some recommendations for a cheapish 3-9x scope for it. Also interested in opinions as far as what ammo shoots most accurately from it, both standard velocity and subsonics since I plan on getting a can for it eventually. Intended uses are 99% a target rifle, .5% hunting small game, and .5% zombie apocalypse/SHTF scenario (I convinced myself that's why I opted for the threaded barrel :p)

Anywho, the rifle should be in my hands just in time for Thanksgiving so expect a range report soon!

rfd12fv
11-22-2015, 09:29 AM
good luck with the new rifle, sounds like it's got the features you wanted.

please post images when it arrives and updates on how you've tricked it out and how the shooting goes.

personally, i prefer the longer heavy barrel as i do think it contributes to accuracy, particularly long range out to 200 yards. i have an fv and stabilized the fore end with rockite and dittos to the butt stock for lots of added weight. the barrel has been free floated back to the recoil lug. also added the apachee trigger kit and that has made an amazing difference in both trigger pull and feel - highly recommended (as many others will agree). for glass, i use a cheap simmons .44mag 4-12x44 (w/side focus) scope. bipod added, too. it's a tack driver in every sense of that phrase with simple cci std vel or cci quiet-22.

http://i.imgur.com/1hYM4yT.jpg

justinp61
11-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the site Doug and congrats on your new rifle. As mentioned the Apachee Trigger kit is a fantastic upgrade and Dale is first class. You can find him here, first one on the page, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_all.php.

My rifles shoots CCI SV very well and Eley Tennex is only slightly better and much more expensive. The best high velocity I've found for my rifle is Federal American Eagle 38gr hollow points.

Check out the Mueller line of scopes, IMO very good scopes for the money. I have a 4.5-14 X 40 APT (mil dot reticle) and like it a lot. Also have a Konus Pro 8.5-20 X 44, IMO the Mueller is a better scope.

rfd12fv
11-22-2015, 11:31 AM
i agree with justin on the mueller scopes and have one on my axis .223, an 8-32x44 sf.

justinp61
11-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Another thing. If your new rifle has the flimsy bottom metal replace it with a heavy one. I made mine out of .125" stainless plate.

kirk2022
11-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Check out the Mueller line of scopes, IMO very good scopes for the money. I have a 4.5-14 X 40 APT (mil dot reticle) and like it a lot. Also have a Konus Pro 8.5-20 X 44, IMO the Mueller is a better scope.[/QUOTE]

Plus 1 on the Mueller Scopes. I hav the Mueller 4.5-14 X 40 APV on my Mark II G

Th3Krah
11-24-2015, 08:17 PM
I too just bought an FV-SR and anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Obviously the internet's consensus on a scope is the Mueller APV or APT 4.5-14x40 AO, but I currently have the BSA Sweet 22. It was on my S&W M&P 15-22 that I sold to purchase this rifle. I never even zero'ed the 15-22 because it was such a poor shooter. I think something was wrong with mine since everyone else had good results with theirs. (I went through three different scopes and all had the same results)

Anyway, I really, REALLY want the quick adjust elevation turrets to work on the BSA but not sure how it will work out because reviews of that scope are either 4-5 stars or 1 star so its hard to judge based off of reviews. I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on the Mueller but I have ZERO experience with trajectory calculations. I understand that the glass is better and to be honest I'm not that concerned with clarity as I've never owned a quality optic before so I don't know any better. Can you or someone else explain how this is accomplished (APT version) without having to break out a calculator in the field? I purchased the rifle to shoot rabbits off of the deer stand.

Dougs951s
12-12-2015, 04:21 AM
I ended up getting a Tasco 6-24x42 Target scope, mil-dot reticle with target turrets and parallax adjustment, mounted on weaver medium double locking rings. I'm taking it to the range this weekend with some different types of ammo and hoping to punch some quarter size groups! I'll be looking for a good bipod next, but sand bags will do for it's first time out.

http://i68.tinypic.com/33m1ulg.jpg

Rugerron
12-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Great rifle. I have it but I put a Boyd thumb hole stock on. I have a vortex to scope and typically shoot with Spectre 2 or Apex suppressor on it. Awesome.