PDA

View Full Version : savage stock in prs

doctnj
11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
First I am not yet close to competition but thinking along those lines for the future. Taking some long range classes next year. So my question is this. I read on every post that most competitors have total custom rigs, fine. However, if my out of the box savage 6.5 is shooting .5 moa or better, prob. better, with off the shelf ammo, why do I need to do anything to it? The trigger is very light and crisp and my best group at just over 400 is still .5 moa. So why would I change anything? I do have a high quality scope on it. And I have just started reloading to search for higher precision and accuracy.

wbm
11-20-2015, 08:32 AM
However, if my out of the box savage 6.5 is shooting .5 moa or better, prob. better, with off the shelf ammo, why do I need to do anything to it?

If your current set-up is consistently dependable and produces precision and accuracy, you don't need to do anything. As your competition experience with that rifle increases you may find things that could be improved but until then I would just go with what you have.

LongRange
11-20-2015, 09:00 AM
doc the first problem your going to run into is the action will not keep up with the demands of PRS style shooting...the second thing will be that light crisp trigger locking up when your rifle gets banged around or dropped...im not sure where lonewolfs been hiding but maybe he will chime in here as he has first hand experience with what your asking.

i too am very seriously thinking about getting into the PRS matches next year as it seemed to be a hit this year at our range...this year there was 2 or 3 PRS type matches next year there is a PRS style match almost every month...ive been saving for a custom action(not so much for the PRS but just because)and will most likely go with a deviant in an XLR chassis with a 22-24" bartlein barrel and a vortex gen 11 razor or maybe a higher end fixed power to save on weight...the biggest thing in the PRS is RELIABILITY...if your rifle wont extract/eject a round or the trigger locks up the clock keeps ticking.

LongRange
11-20-2015, 09:11 AM
http://precisionrifleblog.com/

theres some great info to get you started.

doctnj
11-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for as far as the weak points. I should be receiving my custom rig in 260 in a week or two. If the accuracy is there, it will be my competition rifle. But my wife just loves that Savage Creedmoor. So knowing what to possibly have addressed. I suppose if it would help, I could send it to Fred and have the action timed and trued and put in an sss trigger. I discovered a range in pretty easy driving distance in MO called big pine or something that does steel long range competitions out to 1k. That's why I'm on here so much recently. I have a goal and am trying to get a good start.

doctnj
11-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Don't know if they offer the razor with the ebr 2c reticle. But check it out. I have two of them. It makes hold overs and hold off pretty easy.

LongRange
11-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Yes thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for as far as the weak points. I should be receiving my custom rig in 260 in a week or two. If the accuracy is there, it will be my competition rifle. But my wife just loves that Savage Creedmoor. So knowing what to possibly have addressed. I suppose if it would help, I could send it to Fred and have the action timed and trued and put in an sss trigger. I discovered a range in pretty easy driving distance in MO called big pine or something that does steel long range competitions out to 1k. That's why I'm on here so much recently. I have a goal and am trying to get a good start.

if your just shooting long ranges the savage action will work fine but if going into PRS with any thoughts of doing it seriously start with a custom action and save yourself the frustration.

Don't know if they offer the razor with the ebr 2c reticle. But check it out. I have two of them. It makes hold overs and hold off pretty easy.

this is the EBR-2C in MOA inmy gen 2...crappy pic but you get the idea...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1448140314.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1448140314.jpg.html)

Newsshooter
12-05-2015, 01:39 AM
My savage LRP runs just fine on demanding stages. The HS precision stock that it came with works fine since I added the adjustable cheekpiece. It's in a Mcree chassis now and works even better for tactical matches. I did have the adjustment on the trigger loosen up and start locking up when running the bolt hard. Re-adjusted it back to about 2 lbs and put some nail polish on the screw to hold it in place. It's been fine ever since then. I could keep it below a pound if I wasn't running the bolt so hard.

jonesturf
12-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I've been shooting PRS now for 2 years. I have never had a problem running my savage due to weapon failures. I've never dropped my rifle or threw it in a match. If I did I'm sure I would have been out the door fast.

I did upgrade the extractor ball to a bigger size. I also had my ejector come apart one point but that was my fault for not replacing it and it wasn't during a match. The rifle had close to 8k on it when that happened.

If you have a Savage I recommend going and shooting a match or 2 before you build anything. If you were starting from scratch I would say go custom but since you already have a rifle go out and shoot and then figure out what you need to change.

Don't get caught thinking it has to shoot bug holes to compete. This isn't BR. PRS is mostly a shooters sport. Rarely do you see a target less than 1 moa....maybe once or twice during a major match. It's on the shooter, not the rifle, to make the shots count.

jonesturf
12-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Forgot to mention they have a production class this year for shooting factory rifles.

WinnieTheBoom
12-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I've never heard of a Savage action failing during a PRS match, and I know a few guys that use them. The trigger is an obvious weak point, but the action itself, I wouldn't expect that you'd have any problems.

Rob01
12-09-2015, 08:16 PM
If you have a Savage I recommend going and shooting a match or 2 before you build anything.

Yup don't let the rifle you have stop you from competing. Get out and try it at a match or two and you will learn the weak points in all your gear and training. No other way you will find out.

One thing I would consider a must have though is a DBM. Running a top loader will really slow you down on some stages at some matches. I have been shooting long range tactical matches since 2003 long before there was a "PRS".

darkker
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't see the Savage as a detriment. As Rob01 said, learn the weaknesses in your gear and ability before blaming the action.
Rob01 is a very good trigger-man, if he doesn't see it as a fundamental weakness; you shouldn't loose sleep over it.

Front Royalty
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM
First I am not yet close to competition but thinking along those lines for the future. Taking some long range classes next year. So my question is this. I read on every post that most competitors have total custom rigs, fine. However, if my out of the box savage 6.5 is shooting .5 moa or better, prob. better, with off the shelf ammo, why do I need to do anything to it? The trigger is very light and crisp and my best group at just over 400 is still .5 moa. So why would I change anything? I do have a high quality scope on it. And I have just started reloading to search for higher precision and accuracy.

I'm in the same boat as you. I hope to be competing in F-T/R this year after a bit of training later this month. If your rifle shoots, is reliable, and you like it and it's comfortable, not much else matters in my opinion. Kind of like buying a Snap-On ratchet when a Craftsman will do: some people (myself included from time to time) just like to spend a little extra on the things they use on a daily basis. And what a feeling it would be to play with the "big boys", and be competitive, with an out of the box rifle. To say I'm pleased with the accuracy of my out of the box Accustock equipped rifle is an understatement. Ive never been happier. I am 100% sure that I would be the limiting factor in my performance. But there is a caveat: I bit the bullet on an xlr element chassis today. I do not think it will make me a better shooter. I don't think it will decrease my group size or increase accuracy. What i do know is that with its adjustability, i can custom tailor it to fit me the way that I want, which will in turn keep me comfortable in the drivers seat, which in turn helps me relax, blah blah blah.

Reloading, on the other hand, can be a wonderful thing, or an absolute nightmare depending on just how OCD you are. Kind of like having kids, I guess. You know: nobody regrets doing it, its totally worth it, but whatever sleep you used to get just went out the window kind of thing.

doctnj
01-15-2016, 10:42 AM
When I started this post I was on the fence about having a second rifle built. Both my wife and myself want to shoot matches. The thing I was most worried about with the stock 10ba is the weight. I know one thing I could do is take the top rail off and put on a short 20 moa rail and cut a sizable amount of weight. But the chassis on those guns are just plain heavy. Add scope and bipod and they border on ridiculous for off hand shooting. After receiving my first custom build back, my mind was made up instantly to build another one. It has a great deal better balance for off hand shooting and the chassis system that is on it is much lighter altogether.

I am still developing a load for the stock savage because it is a laser and I want to see just how good it really is. My wife said "why don't you just sell it then?"... yeah right. The second word in the fraise "gun collector" is collector not seller lol. Not to mention this is the savage that only 16 were ever produced. I would never get to own one again if it was sold.

Rob01
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Most rifles being run in these long range matches are in the 15-20 pound range so unless the weight would bother you I am sure it won't be out of the ordinary when compared to other shooter's rifles.