PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Savage Hate at Snipershide

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

psharon97
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
I walked into a gun shop once who were bashing Savage. I asked a pointed question: If you time and true both the remington and savage actions, screw on a high quality aftermarket barrel like a Brux barrel, install a quality aftermarket trigger, quality scope base, quality scope rings, and a quality scope, using reloads tuned to the rifle, which one will shoot better. The folks behind the gun counter said that remington would shoot better. Oh well, these are the same people that said you can get 25000 rounds out a 50bmg and that the 26 nosler has a better life than a 260rem or 6.5 creedmoor. Unfortunately it's not just forums that have an elitist attitude, it's also some stores.

Txhillbilly
12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
I like the Hide,you just have to wade through all the BS. There are brand snobs on every forum,I just let it have zero effect about what I choose to shoot.
If you have rifles that shoot great,what difference does it matter what brand is stamped on the receiver.

JohnMill
12-08-2015, 01:54 AM
I love it when some guy (Semper Fi)can come up with the stuff I read some time ago but couldn't find for a million bucks. I just went to the electroniic target demo at Lodi and the software wiz kid ( a nice guy) was shooting 10s and Xs, maybe a couple 9s, with a Savage FT-R. There were a lot of Savages there. Place was full of Nat'l and World class shooters and coaches.
John
That was WBM that pulled up the AccurateShooter articles

tomme boy
01-01-2016, 03:33 AM
Savage needs to do something with the bolt head extractor. Fix that and then things will change. It is the weakest part and biggest joke on the design.

Twinsen
01-01-2016, 04:40 AM
Well, as a guy that has bought 3 Savages, I completely understand the disrespect.

110 FCP-HS in 338 LM:
-Over the first 200 rounds I had one group at 0.98" and the rest between 1.03" and 1.20". Just this past week did I actually get her to shoot, and it was by swapping to a new bullet. I now love this rifle.

10 FCP-SR in 308 Win
-Didn't like any bullets or loads, not accurate
-Bolt binds up very often
-Class 2A tennon threads
-Class 1A muzzle threads
-Completely worthless DBM
-Accustock has a drop in the comb for the use of iron sights, which none of these rifles have
-Accustock requires weird recoil lug that only exists to fit over 2A threads even though all aftermarket barrels are 3A
-Accutrigger catastrophic failure last time I took it out. I need to figure out what parts are missing so I can get the rifle to fire again.
-Smoothe barrel nut. WHY?!
-0 MOA rail included, so you pay extra for a rail you get to replace
-Doesn't feed from AICS 223 mags after 223 conversion

11 Trophy Hunter XP in 223 Rem
-1:9 barrel twist
-Axis magazine
-Axis bolt parts
-Junk stock
-Doesn't work with CDI bottom metal
-Bottom bolt release for no ****ing reason at all
-Smooth barrel nut
-1 MOA on a good day

Honestly, until Tuesday, I hadn't seen a Savage shoot decent. Now I have seen two good three round groups. None of them function worth a **** except for the 110 which is flawless and smoothe. The Trophy Hunter action is as good as getting slapped in the face and the FCP-SR action is as good as falling down a flight of stairs and into a tiger pit and then being lit on fire and pooped on. It is a total piece of junk and anyone that bought that rifle and then swore off Savage for life would be completely warranted to do so.

I understand that a lot of you guys see how a Savage could be great, if you dodge the minefield of terrible models that you know to avoid. You guys know which parts to throw out and how to go about upgrading them. But from the outside looking in, if you buy a new rifle and you can't get a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber, you aren't going to like that company. When I was trying to get that FCP-SR to work, I got ragged on by all my friends at the range. Like 10 guys swore off Savage after seeing how that thing functions. I thought I had it ready to go last week, and then the accutrigger fell apart.

I appreciate the 338 I have and if it continues to shoot sub half MOA, I'll keep her forever and go through barrels and tell everybody how wonderful it is. But the other two... WTF Savage. Get your act together.

ivob
01-01-2016, 06:11 AM
I find Savages rifles good to go out of the box - my Axis isn't perfect (trigger/stock) but it shoots and that is what guns are supposed to do - at the range (100 yards) shot a couple .61 groups (including a flyer) could spend more for a cosmetically nicer looking brand rifle but why? I do own the recently bashed 10-FCP-SR which in my opinion is a great rifle - in the right hands and with out a doubt very accurate as gun costing twice as much. I own an original 93R17 non-accutrigger very good flat shooting rimfire - does have the plastic trigger guard but it shoots well. In the end if you rather be seen with a cool looking expensive gun that is your choice - I rather have something that shoots very good out of the box with little to no modifications. You will never get back the money you put into your rifle so spend as little as possible and the extra funds put it into reloading equipment. In the end to each their own and good luck to all that put $$$ into their rigs. It does not matter to the paper target or varmint anyway what holed them.

chukarmandoo
01-01-2016, 06:21 AM
Well I haven't posted here for a while and I'm not defending SH but I've shot in quite a few matches with those boys and they are SHOOTERS and that's just a fact.
They are a great bunch of people that are serious about their shooting skills. I had a savage built by the custom shop just so could pretend to play the game with them. At my age I don't need to dump the big bucks on a real custom but I love to go to the matches and shoot. Nobody puts you down and you can ask anyone advise and they'll help you out. I have never been told that I need to buy brand x. They all say run what you brung and get trigger time and have fun. they come together to shoot and beat the other guy. I will say this one thing, the price of the guns they shoot is nothing compared to the time, money and dedication they put in to make them the best they can be. The Precision Rifle matches in fact should be called The Precision Shooters matches.
Anyway if you are young and end up shooting with these boys you'll ,in time, get the best to compete with. Until then just shoot what works for You!

culpeper
01-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Pretend to play the game with SH by using a Savage? Just who and what are you talking about over there anyway?

sjeccles
01-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Sniper hide is the reason I bought my first savage. They talked pretty highly about them back about 15 years ago . They built some 260s called the ghost dancers.

sniperoverwatch
01-19-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm a member on SH as well and enjoy it, but I can tell I'll fit right in here. :cool:

Shooting is like so many other hobbies; the guy with the most quality range time (track time, flight time, etc) wins. With sites like ARFCOM and SH I'm always surprised at how little attention the shooting threads get. The MOA challenge thread is nearly dead, but the "Is Bushmaster garbage?" thread will run to a dozen pages.

Matt52
01-28-2016, 01:24 PM
I just bought a Model 12 LRP in .260 remington mounted a Vortex Razor HD 5-25 to it and with my initial loading I'm getting .4 moa groups consistently and some .3 moa groups. I'm a "noob" in the precision game and have only been reloading a couple years. So I'll call that impressive!

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 02:38 PM
People that rag on Savage rifles probably haven't spent much trigger time w/ nor let alone owned one.

The only Remington I've owned (700 SPS Tac .223) had feeding issues right out of the box, was immediately recalled for the trigger, terrible customer service and shot 1.2 MOA at best with factory match ammo. My Savage shot 1/2 MOA out of the box, reliable as any bolt action can be, and their customer service is top notch. So the one model Remington I had undershot the first savage I owned, was unreliable, and the manufacturer has bad customer service...

That's a tough decision but I guess (place inaudible sarcastic smirk here) I'll let the remy fans out there keep spending thousands of dollars in upgrades just to get their rifle to function. Ruger on the other hand, my SS Ruger Gun Sight Scout shoots MOA with iron sights and the bolt is saaaweeeet... No complaints on the Rugers.

Russmerle
01-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Not to mention home built stock Savage bolted action rifles have won national tournaments... badoom

stevenc23
02-14-2016, 02:39 PM
And it continues........

"I don't think the Savage Stealth is comparable to the RPR. It's just an ugly savage dropped into a ugly chassis. nothing "new" really."
"Fully agreed. lipstick on a pig."

BoilerUP
02-14-2016, 02:52 PM
And it continues........

"I don't think the Savage Stealth is comparable to the RPR. It's just an ugly savage dropped into a ugly chassis. nothing "new" really."

They aren't wrong.

The BA Stealth is a stupidly low cost, low risk way to try and snag some RPR sales without putting any significant time or money into product development.

That isn't to say the BA Stealth won't shoot...but it is ugly and there really isn't anything "new" there - certainly nothing like the RPR.

stevenc23
02-14-2016, 04:10 PM
They aren't wrong.

The BA Stealth is a stupidly low cost, low risk way to try and snag some RPR sales without putting any significant time or money into product development.

That isn't to say the BA Stealth won't shoot...but it is ugly and there really isn't anything "new" there - certainly nothing like the RPR.

Not sure how you can say that since the rifle and full specs have yet to be released. From at least one source it seems a lot of time and effort were put in to this rifle. https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/

And who cares if it is ugly if it performs well for its intended roll. Personally I want a firearm that performs well and could give a hoot if some think it is ugly.

It may turn out to be a turd but at least wait until we get a hands on and put it through its paces.

bedlamite
02-14-2016, 05:03 PM
The BA Stealth is only ugly because they want it to be. I've even talked to one who thought it was ugly before he had even seen it. You guys need to quit calling it hate and start calling it Savage envy.

Russmerle
02-14-2016, 07:08 PM
And it continues........

Some people should probably just stop thinking ;)

Rob01
02-14-2016, 07:48 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44735476.jpg

LongRange
02-14-2016, 08:06 PM
now thats funny Rob...i wonder what Chuck Norris shoots?