PDA

View Full Version : 111 trigger confusion

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 02:38 PM
I picked up a Savage 111 yesterday in trade. It is a non accutrigger version but prior to the trade through a little research I had seen that these were supposed to be adjustable so I went with it.

After getting the rifle apart the trigger doesn't look like the 110/111 assemblies I saw in the videos I'd watched but instead looked more like the triggers I've seen in axis models.

Now that I'm looking at it, I can't see any way of adjusting this trigger so I thought I'd shop around and buy a drop in assembly. Unfortunately with there being different triggers for every model, I have absolutely no idea what to even buy for our if I can make anything work.

Side note, I'd like to achieve around a 2.5 lb crisp pull like the geissele trigger I run in my precision AR style rifle.

Bolthead
11-18-2015, 02:55 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new gun. Step 1 is to determine what you actually have and approximate age. Is the top rear of the receiver where the rear scope mount goes round or flat? What is the letter prefix of the serial number? Keep in mind that manufacture date is pretty vague with the Savage rifle. Pictures would be very helpful.

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 03:19 PM
I believe it's round if I remember correctly.

I'd have to look at everything to get the rest of the info. I'm at work right now so I'll have to pull it out when I get home.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Also thanks for the welcome, I look forward to learning more about this platform, this is my first bolt rifle so I'm unfamiliar with most everything.

67tundra
11-18-2015, 03:30 PM
I have one with a two 111's one with each trigger style the one you have is similar to a axis about the lowest I can get mine is 3.5 lbs. by messing with the spring

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Are you aware of any aftermarket triggers that can be used with this design?

short round
11-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Check out Timney & Rifle Basics Sav 1, & Sharp Shooter Supply.

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Check out Timney & Rifle Basics Sav 1, & Sharp Shooter Supply.

I was checking out Timney. My only concern was that I would get one that didn't work with my setup after seeing that mine was different than others.

If I have nothing to worry about and a 110 style will work, I'll go on and start actively shopping around for one.

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 06:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hfUCY27.jpg

There's my receiver.

Serial starts with H.

Just did some reading on the sharp shooter supply triggers. That looks to be the most complete drop in package from what I can tell unless someone can advise me otherwise. Looks like it would also work with any action from what I can tell.

Bolthead
11-18-2015, 08:20 PM
According to the date list in the FAQ section, the H prefix started in January of 2010. Should not be a problem to find an aftermarket trigger for it. I have my old 116 with the three screw trigger set for 2.5 lbs and that works great for me.

bcmrofl
11-18-2015, 08:57 PM
According to the date list in the FAQ section, the H prefix started in January of 2010. Should not be a problem to find an aftermarket trigger for it. I have my old 116 with the three screw trigger set for 2.5 lbs and that works great for me.

I need to try to get an accurate measurement on what I'm working with. I'll most likely replace it though. It has a lot of creep and it's a little gritty. It's not "bad" but it's not good either.

Bolthead
11-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I spent quite a bit of time with mine to get it the way that I wanted, and be comfortable with it being safe. Well worth the effort for a good crisp trigger. Makes all the difference in the world. I would suggest going to the Savage website and get the parts list for that model. It might list both trigger assemblies. I would also keep an eye on eBay. Wheeler make a pretty decent spring type trigger scale that is quite reasonable.