PDA

View Full Version : Worth the trade???

jknox1030
11-17-2015, 11:43 PM
I have an axis in 30-06. I've put some money into it with stock, muzzle break, etc., but can't seem to find anywhere to get a DBM.

My question: I have the opportunity to trade my axis to my brother for a model 10 in 243. Would it be worth starting over so to speak with the model 10 -OR- rebarrel my 30-06 to a short action caliber? If I do that I can take advantage of something like CDI DBM for a 6.5 cm.

Is there anything inherently better or more accurate with the model 10? Sorry for the ignorance, but thanks for your time!

Robinhood
11-18-2015, 12:23 AM
I wish they built the model 10 on the savage action..........What was the question? Oh, If you like aftermarket gadgets and resale, the model 10 is a good thing.

DrThunder88
11-18-2015, 03:03 AM
The CDI bottom metal looks really great, and once I figure out which project rifle is going to get the treatment, I'm going to get it done. Unfortunately, that really is the only option for Axises at the moment. From the pictures I've seen, the DBM should work in both short and long action Axis stocks, but I'd want to confirm that with CDI.

Robinhood is right about 10s being easier to find parts for. It is also Savage's prestige model compared to the Axis, which is its bargain line. I don't know of any head-to-head accuracy tests comparing the rifles. The best would be an Axis II and an 11 Trophy Hunter. I suspect the difference in performance would be negligible.

jknox1030
11-18-2015, 08:03 PM
I talked with cdi about it. The axis is LA only, but they don't use LA mags. That's the Bummer. So the original question is rebarrel the axis or start over with the savage 10 in 243?

mikgarus
11-19-2015, 09:57 AM
I talked with cdi about it. The axis is LA only, but they don't use LA mags. That's the Bummer. So the original question is rebarrel the axis or start over with the savage 10 in 243?
I would take a model 10 over an axis anyday.

jknox1030
11-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Mikgarus why so? Anything inherently more accurate or reliable about them?

mikgarus
11-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Mikgarus why so? Anything inherently more accurate or reliable about them?
I had two Axis which I sold. Hated just about everything about them, (stock, trigger, stiff bolt & especially the magazines!) My models 10 I love!

WinnieTheBoom
11-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Were there any Axis variations that came with DBMs from the factory? I had a Model 10 with a 'bottom plastic/trigger guard' and I could have sworn that it was the same one that was used on the Axis. I could order Dark Eagle extended mags for it, but I would have needed the Axis mag since I had the bottom plastic rather than the bottom metal. If that was the case, that means that the bottom plastic would be interchangeable from the Model 10 to the Axis...

Keep in mind that it was a short action, so I'm not sure that the LA Axis would be interchangeable with the 110 LA.

DrThunder88
11-20-2015, 02:14 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that could remotely be called "DBM" on the Axis is the big, one-piece trigger guard/magwell spacer piece. Axises or Edges never had any separate piece surrounding the magwell like some versions of the 11/111 Trophy Hunter did.

I think Sharpshooter had said he had made an Axis stock with a standard DBM assembly for metal bottom mags. I never saw it, but if anyone could make it happen, it would be Fred.