PDA

View Full Version : Stock LRP in 260

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
11-16-2015, 10:34 PM
After months of load testing and development, I realized the barrel isn't consistently giving me the accuracy that I know it can. I knew full and well that it's a stock rig with a stock barrel. Some days the rigs giving me nice and tight patterns, and the next?...not so good.
If it's one thing I've learned after 30 years of playing with the accuracy addiction and 40 years of being a Ford Certified Tech is to always think twice before you start throwing money at a problem to achieve your goals.
I was in denile at 1st thinking it couldn't be the barrel, common sense got the better of me though. I gave in and borrowed the shops HD Snap On Bore scope. Low and behold.......chatter marks!
I was pist. After all,it's a stock barrel right? All of my Savage barrels have been spot on,but not this one. Bummer.
I decided to lap the barrel myself using a 308 mop with a course and fine valve lapping compound. I got after the barrel good and hard. 2 days worth of stroking the barrel with one d a y of stroking the barrel with JB BORE SHINE. If I screw the barrel up? Oh well, gives me an excuse go Shilen.
Took it to the range, sent about 15 fowler rounds thru it .
Let the barrel cool for about 15 minutes. Loaded magazine with 5 rounds of 130 gr Berger VLD.. 40.5gr IMR 4350, .002 from the lands. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
After sending the 3rd round I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sent the 4th,then stopped. I decided to go ahead and adjust my scope to zero with 1 click left, sent the last round to verify zero. I had to double ck my spent cases to verify that I did in fact send 4 rounds. I can only hope this is repeatable. For now? I'm happy. Tomorrow? Who knows.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/20151116_183728_zpsztebtg6p.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/eddies880/media/20151116_183728_zpsztebtg6p.jpg.html)

eddiesindian
11-16-2015, 10:40 PM
This is the fifth round I sent after adjustment to zero scope at 100.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/20151116_1837503_zpsagxshlog.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/eddies880/media/20151116_1837503_zpsagxshlog.jpg.html)

eddiesindian
11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
The downside is that now I know I'm going to have to keep the barrel clean to try to achieve the same accuracy every go round.

LongRange
11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
Very nice group eddie...now clean that barrel every 50-75 rounds and it will shoot...my 300wm was the same way...the trick is to clean it until patches are light blue then stop....i got tired of cleaning every time i shot that 300 and bought a barrel and so will you lol.

eddiesindian
11-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Lololololo

Robinhood
11-17-2015, 01:38 AM
Well, looks like the load?

eddiesindian
11-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Nosler brass
40.5gr imr 4350
Fed match primers
130gr Berger VLD
.002 from the lands.
This load was giving me .50/75 moa .
The grouping became much tighter after heavy lapping of the barrel with the exact same load.

LongRange
11-17-2015, 09:25 AM
eddie just curious...what are your speeds with that combo?

eddiesindian
11-17-2015, 01:04 PM
eddie just curious...what are your speeds with that combo?

2750fps. 5 shot avg. @ 3800ft elev.
those vlds are picky to say the least

upSLIDEdown
11-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Funny, a good buddy of mine bought an LRP in 6.5CM and couldn't find a load to shoot in it to save his life. He ended up selling the gun. Glad you got yours sorted out.

LongRange
11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
2750fps. 5 shot avg. @ 3800ft elev.
those vlds are picky to say the least

exact reason i wont shoot the VLDs.

Funny, a good buddy of mine bought an LRP in 6.5CM and couldn't find a load to shoot in it to save his life. He ended up selling the gun. Glad you got yours sorted out.

id be willing to bet it was the barrel...ive seen several factory savage barrels with bad tooling marks in them...remington too...and they shoot great if your ok with 3/4" groups at a 100yds.

eddiesindian
11-17-2015, 07:31 PM
I purchased 140gr hornady,s and 130gr vld,s to find the load for the rifle.
the hornady,s are being used to fire form my brass.
it took approx. 80 pills to find what the vld,s like,d.
I extensively researched the vlds before I loaded , glad I did.
id say that's a pretty good average. once I saw how well the vld,s "could be"... I purchased a total of 1000 pills with the same lot#
judging by how well fellow comp shooters at the range that use the 130vld,s are doing?....I knew my outcome was falling short. but not by much.
that's why I gave in and had a look with the bore scope. before I went on with my decision making and making judgment calls.

From here on out. every barrel Im working with is getting bore scoped.
saying the lapping was extensive would be an understatement.
Took the barrel to work, shoved it in my solvent tank, and started lapping the holy *** out of it. 1 day course grit, the next, fine, with the 3rd day jb bore shine. id get tired so Id have my co-workers give it a go.
I have "0" dollars invested into to getting the barrel accurate.......well maybe the cost of the jb bore shine that ive had in my tool box for the past 10 years.

LongRange
11-17-2015, 10:20 PM
ian;340835]I purchased 140gr hornady,s and 130gr vld,s to find the load for the rifle.
id say that's a pretty good average. once I saw how well the vld,s "could be"... I purchased a total of 1000 pills with the same lot#
judging by how well fellow comp shooters at the range that use the 130vld,s are doing?....I knew my outcome was falling short. but not by much.
that's why I gave in and had a look with the bore scope. before I went on with my decision making and making judgment calls.

Took the barrel to work, shoved it in my solvent tank, and started lapping the holy *** out of it. 1 day course grit, the next, fine, with the 3rd day jb bore shine. id get tired so Id have my co-workers give it a go.
I have "0" dollars invested into to getting the barrel accurate.......well maybe the cost of the jb bore shine that ive had in my tool box for the past 10 years.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why they called and said my car wouldnt be ready on time.

Keep this updated eddie im curious to hear how many rounds it takes before accuracy starts to drop off again.

eddiesindian
11-17-2015, 10:46 PM
ian;340835]I purchased 140gr hornady,s and 130gr vld,s to find the load for the rifle.

I have "0" dollars invested into to getting the barrel accurate.......well maybe the cost of the jb bore shine that ive had in my tool box for the past 10 years.

I was wondering why they called and said my car wouldnt be ready on time.

Keep this updated eddie im curious to hear how many rounds it takes before accuracy starts to drop off again.[/QUOTE]
lololo...the service managers asking the same question...ololol
I ll be the 1st to admit..............I don't do a very good job of keeping a log book. guess its time to start.
the tooling marks inside the barrel aren't necessarily chatter marks. they appear to be swirling marks that are in exact distance from each other (very close) both on the lands and grooves . From throat to muzzle. This leads me to believe that after the barrel was bored, there may have been a problem in the polishing stage that left the swirling imprint inside the bore before the button was pulled through to create the rifling. Im not a smith or machinist, but this is what it appears to me. I may be wrong.
Im inquisitive as well as far as how many rounds it takes to copper fowl. weather has been terrible here the last few days but will clear up by this weekend. I hope so because I have full intensions of sending out rounds to distance from 970yds out to 1300.

LongRange
11-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Its most likely dull tools that caught a burr on the blade.

eddiesindian
11-29-2015, 10:12 PM
After double checking and verifyin g , this ba rrel holds true with about 50 rounds thru it. I need to send about 8 rounds thru it after cleaning then it gives me the exact patterns as pictured. Nice and tight. Once I've sent 50 and have let the barrel cool and shoot it again the pattern opens up .
Its amazing how well this barrel shots, what's even more amazing is how bad it shoots when fouled.
I knew this barrel was going to give me grief after seeing the tooling marks so I researched other solvents to help me rid the copper from the barrel faster.
I gave Bore Tech CU+2 copper removing solvent a try . I'm glad I did. Hands down. Its the best I've ever used.
Rebarreling next year.

LongRange
11-30-2015, 09:09 AM
eddie buy and try a small can of montana extreme 50BMG...if it dont work better than the boar tech ill buy it from you but im pretty sure after you try the 50BMG the boar tech will sit on the back of the bench.

eddiesindian
11-30-2015, 12:08 PM
after using the bore tech 1st hand..... it works. ive got a tool box full of solvents and cleaners and none have come close to removing copper this quickly.
at this point Ill use anything that removes copper quickly.

LongRange
11-30-2015, 12:29 PM
the 50BMG is the fastest ive used and ive tried most including the bore tech...bore tech is pretty good but not as good as the 50BMG...just dont open the 50BMG in the house.

243LPR
12-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Did you scope the bore after you lapped it? My 243 LRP had the same problem. Got tired of wasting components,sold off the barrel and rebarreled to 243 AI.