PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Help with savage m220f recoil pad please.

Snoodyjim
11-16-2015, 07:29 AM
Can anyone tell me with certainty if the limb savers (classic pre fit) 10111 recoil pad fits the 220 adequately? I shot 15 rounds at the range and waited between shots about 10 minutes. I can not believe how this gun prints groups. At 80 yards, all three were touching. I was shooting off a bulls bag and snugging in the stock tight to my shoulder. I am shooting 3" Remington accutips and there is no reason to look further. HOWEVER, I had one heck of a sore shoulder from recoil. I put an ice pack on that evening. I don't want to use anything to hold the gun for scope sight ins as I feel that's not apples to apples when im hunting. My son has the same gun too, so I am looking to buy two pads.
While I am at it, I am considering ordering the de-resonators that slip onto the barrel too. Anyone have any experience with them too? I am considering the bull barrel size that starts at 3/4" and up. The barrel is just over 3/4" diameter. I have one on my 3006 and it seemed to tighten my groups about an 1" at 200 yards. I'm thinking with a free floating barrel, It may be helpful?
But the recoil pad....I got to do something. I understand that savage started out with a softer pad but it tore so easily that they had to change to something more durable....and let tell you what...it might be durable but it does not help tame the punch of 3" slugs! I'd love to hear from someone who has put this recoil pad ON THEIR gun and how satisfied they are with the fit and function before I double down for two.

adammiddagh
11-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Here is a link to all the templates / shapes of the various limbsaver recoil pads. Find the one you are considering, print the page, and cut it out.
Hope it helps,
Adam.

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/pdfs/templates/LS_templates.pdf

J.Baker
11-21-2015, 02:50 AM
Doesn't yours have the soft/squishy factory PAD recoil pad on it? It should, and it's going to be softer than a Limbsaver or Decelerator pad. Shooting a number of shots from a slug gun from the bench will beat the snot out of you because you're braced and leaned into the shot preventing your body from being able to rock and absorb the recoil. Let your shoulder heal up a few days then go out and shoot a few rounds off-hand standing and you'll find the recoil isn't bad at all.

If you still want some extra padding for shooting from the bench, get yourself one of THESE (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CPC3mYb2oMkCFQMFaQodfQwBXA) or just put a 1-lb bag of rise between your shoulder and the butt stock for range sessions.

Snoodyjim
11-22-2015, 01:17 AM
My 220 (just bought it) has a somewhat harder pad than my sons 220 (purchased 2 years ago). I did buy sims pads for both. Air cell instead of the classic. The fit to the stock was quite acceptable. The stock has 3 screw holes. Two at the bottom one at the top. Only two holes get used. The factory pad uses the lowest hole. The sims pad uses the one above that hole. The screws are resused. The fit is certainly a-okay in my book considering its a plastic stocked slug GUN. The softness is much better than both my new style, and my sons ultra soft old style pads.
I can hardly wait to test it out. The deresonators fit like a glove and help prevent scratching the barrel. I'm very satisfied so far.

Snoodyjim
11-24-2015, 09:01 PM
well I got out today with my son. We installed the sims limbsaver pads, the airtech precision fit #10807 and they are amazing! I can only assume the clasic fit as well but let me say "the airtech pad is an incredible improvement".
We installed the Sharpshooter X-ring fir standard barrel in black # 12051 and we set them 3/4 of an inch back from the muzzle for a free floating barrel. Were shooting the Remington Premier accutip 3" shells and WOW! Were grouping 1" for a 3 shot group at 50 yards set at 2 1/2" high. Were about a 2 1/4 inch group at 100 yards 3 1/2 inches high. This leaves us zeroed at 150 yards. We did not have a 150 yard range to shoot but we were 9-10" low at TWO HUNDRED YARDS and get this...my group was 3 inches! My sons a little more at about 5" with what we both feel was a cross wind or flinch on one shot.
I am so pleased with this gun i wanted to share my results for anyone repeating my learning process.

adammiddagh
11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
The more I hear, the more I want one. Good thing deer season is over for me.