PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire How to identify Savage 19 or variants

blueman2
11-15-2015, 09:38 AM
Saw a Savage listed at auction as Savage 22. It resembles a Model 19 but I am not familiar with them. It is in a full stock with finger grooves and a middle and upper band like an '03. The relief for the bolt handle in the stock is very small leading me to believe the bolt handle is a curved handle.The ejection port is not egg shaped as I have seen on some but rather is rectangular with a rounded end at the back and a truncated rounded front. Rear sight is not a buckhorn or leaf type but sort of a low peep. Safety looks like a side to side action with the word FIRE appearing on the left end of the safety bar just below the rear sight. No info on serial number or model. The rifle is missing the bolt and mag and possibly other unknown items.

I don't have any decent pics. The top of the barrel is marked for 1905, 1915 and 1917 patents. Other marking is "22-Long Rifle" with "Long Rifle" stacked rather than strung out.

The stock looks to be in decent shape. Metal finish is mostly missing and there is some marking that could be pitting on the barrel

What is this thing and is it worth salvaging? Looks really cool but is it worth it as a project. I see similar on GB but not exactly the same.

Thanks for any info

Mad Dog
11-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Sure sounds like a Savage 1919 to me.