PDA

View Full Version : Help me: What the story on this gun?

natesatt
11-14-2015, 10:23 PM
I have the chance to pick up this rifle on a trade. I'm told it's a model 10LE. He bought it about 6-8 years ago and never has shot it. Here's a couple of pics of it, and I'm wondering what stock it has on it? Any ideas? I know they've had HS, and others make stocks for these.

Thanks in advance.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/natesatt/IMG_7074_zpstfuub7g7.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/natesatt/IMG_7072_zpskhx4fevu.jpg

natesatt
11-15-2015, 11:39 PM
I showed these photos to a person here locally and they thought it was a HS stock.

jc
11-19-2015, 12:57 AM
Its a Bell and Carlson durramax.

Stonewall_Jackson
11-19-2015, 05:04 AM
It doesn't look like my H-S Precision stock but it looks just like my Bell And Carlson stock. They're good stocks though. Not H-S good but good.

natesatt
11-22-2015, 01:14 AM
So...I'm now the proud owner of this rifle. According to the Savage Arms webpage this is a 10FP. I believe you are correct, jc, that it's a duramaxx. Here's a photo of the inside:http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/natesatt/10fp.insidestock_zpslvwctgiq.jpg

It needs to be bedded, IMO. Any input or help would be welcomed.

natesatt
11-23-2015, 12:35 PM
So anymore help/input on this would be great. 1. I'd like someone that know the history of the 10 FP (and law enforcement series in general) to tell me if this stock was factory on the rifle or an add on? 2. It seems most of them are 1-10 twist...I know I can find this out for myself, but just curious if someone know off hand. BTW, Savage's description of this barrel is "OBS. BBL 308 TARGET/20 VR M - P/N: 103564" Part of this question is I picked up a box of Hornady Palma Match 155s to try out in it and now that I look at it those loads are probably tweaked for slow twist, long barreled rifles...did I make a bad choice. To top it off these appear to have a crimped primer and I was planning on reloading them.:confused: 3. I'm also looking into the variable of getting this thing to hit out at 1000 and what that involves. I have a buddy that loaded the 210MK in a 20" tube and shot at 1000...I'm just trying to get my head around this.

barrel-nut
11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Since you already bought them, try the Hornady's. The rifle will tell you if it likes them. Likewise, it will tell you if it needs to be bedded. I have one Duramaxx in a short action version, and it shot well without bedding. The Duramaxx, in my opinion, is an upgrade over most plastic factory stocks, but still has quite a bit of flex in it. Just shoot it first and see what you've got as a baseline.

natesatt
11-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks, barrel-nut. I'll do that. I did get a call into Savage that verified that the barrel is a 1-10 twist...which tend to shoot better in the 168gr plus category of bullets. The gal also did confirm that the original stock was some plastic LE variation of their standard tupperware...and that it's not available anymore (no big deal there).

WinnieTheBoom
11-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Start with Hornady 168gr Match BTHPs. Rifle should shoot around 1" @ 100 yards, give or take a few thousands. Once you confirm this, go grab some 168gr SMKs or VLDs (whatever you fancy) and seat them just barely touching the lands, using a minimum charge weight. I used 42.0 grains of IMR 4064 and velocity was around 2,520 fps. This will serve as a good zero/fouler/baseline reload for you, and I'm sure you'll be able to make a few little tweaks to get her down closer to .5".

natesatt
11-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks...was this load of your out of a 20" barrel? or longer? I appreciate the help.

WinnieTheBoom
11-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks...was this load of your out of a 20" barrel? or longer? I appreciate the help.

Yes sir, 20"

Like I said, use that as a baseline. YMMV as far as what you ultimately settle on as your go-to load. I want to say mine was like 44.5c grains IMR 4064, seated to the lands. Hornady brass, CCI 200s. Avg. velocity was in the 2,650 fps neighborhood and it shot lights out with the 168 gr pills.

natesatt
11-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Good info! You mentioned hornady brass. I picked up a box of Hornady Palma Match 155...not thinking about crimped primers. Have you dealt with their brass, removing the crimp, etc.?

pitsnipe
11-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Natesatt,

If you don't mind me to chime in here. I have a 24" "version" (different mdl#) of that weapon. And use Hornady brass. Shoot the 155's and toss the brass. Buy yourself a few hundred new cases. I have found some dented necks with new Hornady brass. So I just run new cases into my full length sizing die, far enough for the neck size ball on the de-primer pin to round out the neck and get a little more consistency in neck tension. And load em up.
Welcome to the addiction.

Snipe

natesatt
11-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Oh...I'm already addicted, pitsnipe. I have a 110 action waiting to have the new 7-08 put on it. I got a good trade deal on this and thought, why the heck not play with the 308 as well.

243LPR
11-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Do yourself a favor and get Lapua brass. It's very consistent and lasts longer than most the other brands. It's about all I use anymore.

natesatt
11-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Hmmm...I've got a shooting buddy with 100s of it...don't know if he has new, however. I do have a fair amount of Win brass, and 20 RP collected. We'll see. I'd heard hornady match brass is pretty good and was hoping to try it with the others. The crimp isn't a deal breaker on them...I'll just have to see about a way of getting rid of it.

natesatt
10-04-2016, 10:46 PM
An update for any that may be interested. First I got a new job which got in the way all thing truly worthwhile. Anyway...I finally shot it last Saturday. The hornady 155 match load actually shot the best (groups hover over/under .5). I bought some Nosler 175 custom comp rounds, they shot at 3/4'' about. My buddy's 200gr MK load did just a little over 1".

So my biggest problem...I want to get to reloading for this gun and work is crazy busy! Anyway...there's the report.

RC20
10-05-2016, 02:56 PM
If you have a motorized prep station you can grind down the crimp with the Chamfer attachment.

I would rate Brass: Lapua (as good as it gets and better price than the rest of the high price spreads Norma, Nossleer Hornady). PPU and RP good solid brass. Winchesters, Hornady, Nossler not what they are cracked up tot be cost wise or longetivity, FC at the bottom (again I will use it up if once fired but know its going to last 10 cycles at best, more like 6 or 8 and that includes annealing) . I like working with it, it just does not last (very soft)

Any of those is worth using up if you have it, I would only pay new price for Lapua, I get RP once fired and am happy with it.