PDA

View Full Version : Axis HB build ALMOST derailed, by knuckle dragging "gunsmith"

triehl27
11-14-2015, 09:05 PM
While I was in E.Wa I met a friend of a friend, who was talking about bedding his newest Axis. When I mentioned I had a heavy barreled on with me, he offered to bed it if I paid the materials.

Well 2 weeks later when I got back over there, his wife dropped it of to my buddy's house, wrapped in newspaper. First thing I noticed was that the bedding tape hadn't been removed.

The knuckle dragger had SteelTex my front screw in and couldn't get it apart and started to strip the head.

So I soaked the screw in Electra cleaner Gave it 5 good whacks with a hammer and it broke the epoxy loose.

He never did bed the rear, just the front, and cause he couldn't get it apart, he didn't even bother to clean up the ooze out of the magwell. It's a thicker bedding then I wanted, but it is set to torque to 65inch pounds nicely, and it's definitely free floated now, but a 1/8"+ at the muzzle end. I had already Rockited the forend to stiffen it.

Will be shooting it this week to see how it came out.

Learned my lesson!!! Should have done it myself.

DrThunder88
11-15-2015, 01:31 AM
What a mess! Was this the factory stock?

Rosco
11-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Do you need to bed the tang area on the Axis or just free float? I can't remember.

triehl27
11-15-2015, 07:31 AM
Yeah factory stock, was wanting to keep the weight down for now. I had just finished a nice Rockite job in the forend, looked like it came factory with the from filled and painted.

And he used a Carnuba wax as the release agent and it was ALL over the black stock!

I immediately tried calling the guy, no answer. Went to his house, banged on the door, no answer.

I admit my part in this, I was trying to save time and just get it done. I had never even heard of SteelTex as a bedding compound before. I've always used something that flows, like Marinetex. Hell I could have just used the Rockite probably, if i'd done it myself.

I did learn that SteelTex may be strong as hell in a ball on the counter of the hardware store, and withstand 900psi, but it has no shearing strength, flashing just snaps right off, and obviously a good shock whack broke it loose from the threads of the screw.

I'm seeing a Zombie Green Boyds Pro Varmint, with all the trimmings in the future. Along with a SSS fluted bolt with Zombie greenn fill.

I can't stand the zombie craze garbage, but I do love that shade of green.

rfd12fv
11-15-2015, 10:03 AM
oooo, i share yer pain, what a mess that idiot made of a good rifle. i see no need to bed the fore end on tupperware stocks, just pour in the rockite up to the webbing, let cure, sand out the barrel cavity to allow the barrel to free float all the way.

DrThunder88
11-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Do you need to bed the tang area on the Axis or just free float? I can't remember.

My guess would be to keep it floating, but Axises don't really have a tang in the traditional sense. I pillar up to the flat portion of the trigger bracket and then bed its front and sides along with the rear.

rfd12fv
11-15-2015, 10:45 PM
i think the real issue is the barrel and the points it will or will not contact - for me, the less the better, particularly as the barrel heats up.