PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP-SR 308 feeding issues

shane431
11-14-2015, 01:30 PM
This is my first Savage and so far I've been impressed with this rifle. It shoots straight right out of the box. I do have one issue and it is very inconsistent that 1 in about every 5-10 rounds I have to double stroke the bolt to get the round to chamber. It seems like it mainly happens on the first round out of the magazine but I'm not 100% positive as I only have about 50 rds down the barrel and it's probably happened 4-5 times. I'm using the 4 round magazine.

Any suggestions? Or is it just normal break-in for the gun?

Thanks,

Here's a pic.

http://s25.postimg.org/4mubiahhb/IMG_0406.jpg

Front Royalty
11-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm curious as well...dbm is junk...happens to me as well.

ETA: This happens with both the "10" rd and the 4 rd mags.

Robinhood
11-15-2015, 01:20 AM
can you tweak the feed lips?

shane431
11-15-2015, 10:38 AM
I can try tweaking the lips. You think open them up so the round sits higher?

Robinhood
11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
yes. Not the plastic ones that Royalty is talking about though. Go easy. Also make sure the round is all of the way to the rear.

Petre
11-15-2015, 12:58 PM
What bottom metal are you using? Is that the factory DBM with the plastic/metal mags?

I switched mine to an AICS compatible system and currently have both AICS and AccurateMag 10rd magazines. There was a slight break-in period for smoother cycling but now works just fine. These were expensive mags at 70-80$ each. Much better grade of steal, better follower and springs. Were stiff at first, especially with the 1st of 10rds, but now cycle perfectly.

The factory mags are junk. I've got to brand new ones and an Accustock with factory DBM I'm willing to sell cheap. My guess is the tweaking won't last. Mags are using too soft/thin a metal to hold up reliably over time. I had gotten mine to hold 10rds with some difficulty, but then after a few cycles they start acting like a Jack'N-the Box throwing 2-3 rounds out at a time.

I'm curious to see how well the Magpul AICS mags are going to work at $40 ea. So far reports aren't too good on them being a good fit right out of the box.

NICE looking stock BTW. That's the one I was considering before I decided to go chasis instead.

shane431
11-16-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm using the 4 round factory magazine.

Front Royalty
11-16-2015, 11:33 PM
yes. Not the plastic ones that Royalty is talking about though. Go easy. Also make sure the round is all of the way to the rear.

Can you elaborate? Im having the same problem with BOTH the 4 rd and 10rd factory mags...

Kenhwind
12-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Hello, I just registered, but you have already answered my questions.
We just acquired an older Savage Model 10 Scout Rifle, and took it to the range today but had issues with the magazine. This may be partly my fault because I stuffed five rounds in it, The rifle shoots just fine and that was with the receiver sight. The first round would pop out of the magazine. When loaded it seemed to feed an shoot okay.
And I agree the magazine if junk. The magazine for my Savage .22 is well made compared to this one.
This Scout does not have the accu-trigger, and has a grey stock.

bearcatrp
12-14-2015, 11:24 PM
My 10T sticks periodically too. Found that if I try to chamber fast, it jams up. Slow down seems to help.