PDA

View Full Version : mod 11 204ruger

strut64
11-13-2015, 08:36 PM
I got involved in a trade and ended up with a Mod 11 trophy hunter in 204R. I got the gun with the the expectation of converting to 17 fireball. However, before I got the funds to do the conversion I decided to try out the 204R. Boy what a pleasant surprise The gun shoots so well that I am not going to convert it. The Message - Never shoot your donor rifle. So far I have found the Hornady 32 gr Vmax in their super performance line is the most acccurate. I will be getting supplies for reloading together. What amazes me is that if you do a search on what powders seem best. there is no outstanding best everybody has a different favorite. from 4198 up through Rl 15 seems to work.

scooterf79
11-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Yes indeed! I'm not sure I've heard of one NOT shooting well. Congrats on your new toy!
Scooter

devildogandboy
11-14-2015, 11:21 AM
that's one i haven't shot yet. i guess i have been planning on getting that caliber because i have a die set for it, one of these days.

Bruce

Rosco
11-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Have an Axis in .204 that is a ton of fun and darn accurate too!!

bythebook
11-15-2015, 04:02 PM
I just built my third 204,the others where a Ruger 77VT that got boring to shoot it was so accurate. I used it in a couple of egg shoots at 200 to 240yds. and did pretty well if I did my part. The next one was a 204 barrel for an encore and it shoot lights out also. This one is built with a McGowen barrel on a model 12 action, I haven't had time too shoot it yet though. In all 3 I used 32gr Vmax and BLc-2 powder and it worked the best for me.

Three44s
11-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Don't shoot your donor?

Just get another Savage and keep enjoying that .204 .......... If it ain't broke don't change it!

I converted a .308 face SA to a .204 in a Savage varmint weight and it shot so well ......... I was one proud puppy ........ but as my "tractor" rifle I got tired of my arms getting longer as I lugged it around the ranch day in and day out ........ then I found a sporter in .204 and took a chance ....... well, it does not shoot factory Hdy 32's quite as well ........ but my handloads are just about as good ....... plenty good enough to give 'otes the hebe jebe's .........

I keep my heavy barrel in reserve or in case I get yet another action ......... very likely ...... ! ........ and I tote my sporter .204 build in the meantime!

Enjoy!

Three 44s