PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Barrels

WinnieTheBoom
11-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Anyone have experience with Douglas barrels? I'm trying to finish up a few projects before Christmas and have been trying to source a couple of prefits in 6.5 Creed and .338 Lapua. Lilja, Pac-Nor, Brux etc. are all around 10-12 week lead times, and Douglas said they would have it to me in around 3 or less(!).

Just wanting to see if anyone has had experience with their barrels and how they shoot.

psharon97
11-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Excellent barrels. I have one in 308 and shoots great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

scooterf79
11-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Ive not heard anything but good about them. Im gonna use them for my next build. They're only about 20min from my house, so I figured Id give some money to the local business. Its a small family run company.
I think youll be happy with them.
Let us know....
Scooter

1vakid
11-14-2015, 08:51 PM
I have always had very good luck with Douglas barrels since the late 1970's. Matter of fact my last build, (2014) was a Douglas and it shoots great and cleans up rather quickly. They've been around quite a while but, it seems they don't get much love. Fine with me, their turn around time is great!

WinnieTheBoom
11-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the insight, gents. It sounds like they're pretty good barrels, but they definitely don't get the same recognition that some of the other manufacturers do. I have an opportunity to pick up a Bartlein prefit for the .338 Lapua, but I very well may end up going with Douglas for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

short round
11-15-2015, 03:29 AM
I have three, all are outstanding shooters.

DrThunder88
11-15-2015, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the insight, gents. It sounds like they're pretty good barrels, but they definitely don't get the same recognition that some of the other manufacturers do. I have an opportunity to pick up a Bartlein prefit for the .338 Lapua, but I very well may end up going with Douglas for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

If memory serves, they were THE barrel to have before Hart and Lija and after Pac-Nor, or something like that. Even though the barrel is the heart of the mechanical potential for accuracy, a great deal more goes into it. I suspect there isn't much of a difference in quality among top barrel makers but that there are trends in which maker is popular at any given time. Something to the effect of "Brand X is the top, but Brand Y shoots right alongside it (possibly for less money)" soon becomes "Brand Y is the top, but Brand Z shoots right along side it (possibly with less wait time)". Eventually, "Brand Z is the top, has anyone heard of Brand X?"

LongRange
11-15-2015, 09:39 AM
i agree 100% with the bandwagon effect...or flavor of the month...for sake of better words...but at the same time i think like everything else barrels are more money driven than what actual shoots THE BEST and the second thing driving the what is best question is "how fast can i get it".
and what i mean is that most ppl dont want to wait 6+mos for a barrel or pay $200 more for a barrel if they can get it from someone that sells prefits and they can get it in a few days.

kreiger and bartlein have been top dogs for years but we as savage guys dont hear a lot about them because they dont make prefits but if they did i bet EVERYONE would be shooting them over the other prefit offerings.

p-c-j
11-15-2015, 11:52 AM
I have one I chambered in 338-06 very very happy with it.

WinnieTheBoom
11-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Gentlemen, great insight. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like Douglas makes a good barrel from everything that I can find. I definitely agree with the 'flavor of the week' or 'bandwagon' sentiment as they are very pertinent in the world of shooting. I guess the fact of the matter is, it really does come down to money and how long you're willing to wait for barrel X, especially when barrels Y and Z offer comparable performance but cost less or will get there faster. Furthermore, everyone is going to have different experiences/opinions, and I think this really epitomizes the idea that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to aftermarket barrels.

I have heeded your advice (for those of you that sent me PMs, thank you, it's been a huge help) and decided on a Bartlein prefit for the Lapua and a Douglas prefit for the Creedmoor. I have no doubts that both will be great shooters!

LongRange
11-16-2015, 05:12 PM
please keep us posted on your thoughts with both.

scooterf79
11-16-2015, 06:58 PM
please keep us posted on your thoughts with both.
Please do!
Scooter

WinnieTheBoom
11-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Change of plans. Bartlein was 3-5 months out on their blanks, and Douglas does not chamber for .338 Lapua.

Ordered a Pac-Nor prefit for the Lapua, and will start another thread once it comes in. Still planning to have Douglas make a barrel for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but that project may get pushed out beyond Christmas now.

keeki
11-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Pac-nor makes excellent barrels. I have one in 25-06ai that shoots in the .1's