PDA

View Full Version : Accustock for Model 14

Code4
11-12-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a Model 14 in 250-3000. While nice, the wooden stock doesn't have a stable enough bed for the action.

Does anyone sell an accustock that will fit it ?

I live in Australia and finding a gunsmith to bed the factory stock, who is familiar with Savage rifles is impossible.

olddav
11-12-2015, 07:24 PM
The one problem you have is the recoil lugs are different. The Accustock has a different recoil lug than the standard stock (wood or plastic). Replacing the recoil lug will require you to remove the barrel and reset the headspace, another option is to grind down the lug you have but I can't offer any insight into that procedure.

You may want to educate yourself on the process of bedding the rifle your self, it's not that hard and there is plenty of info on this site as well as others and YouTube.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Or you can bed it yourself using a good epoxy and some common items. There is plenty of info on the internet and if you watch and read enough of it I'm sure you could separate the wheat from the chaff and figure it out.

Robinhood
11-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Or you can bed it yourself using a good epoxy and some common items. There is plenty of info on the internet and if you watch and read enough of it I'm sure you could separate the wheat from the chaff and figure it out.

This. You will be very pleased with a decent DIY job. Take your time.

Code4
11-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Ok, if I replace the recoil lug who sells an accustock that would fit.

Robinhood
11-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I have a Model 14 in 250-3000. While nice, the wooden stock doesn't have a stable enough bed for the action.

You may want to educate yourself on the process of bedding the rifle your self, it's not that hard and there is plenty of info on this site as well as others and YouTube.

Unless there is another issue than stability bedding is THE answer. Wooden stocks are what you see on most competitive rifles.

FW Conch
11-19-2015, 08:25 AM
You also have the option of replacing your stock with one that is compatable with your rifle as it is. There are many options that offer pillars or bedding blocks that would be a drop in for your rifle.

Adding pillars and bedding a Savage stock is not that different than bedding any other rifle stock. You must have a competent smith near you who is capable of adapting to the Savage process and learning it with you. Even though many of us here do almost everything ourselves, many of us also need the help of a good smith occasionally.

The Accustock, in it's original configuration, was not a success. The wedge that was employed is no longer used, because it caused accuracy problems. As used now, it is like any other good aftermarket stock with an aluminum bedding skeleton. I like the Bell & Carlson stocks, which are drop in's for your rifle.

I don't know what problems you may have with importing a stock? There seem to be issues? Which may lead you back to DIY or finding a good "ginsmith" :-).

Good Luck...Good Shooting...Jim...BTW - Great rifle and great chamber :-)