PDA

View Full Version : who uses/don't use hearing protection while hunting

Pages : [1] 2

Nandy
11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
the title says it all, there is not a right or wrong answer as this is a personal choice. I'm just curious about the rate and reasons...
i wear electronic amplified ear muffs. I can't afford to loose more hearing and make mi tinnitus worst. plus I can hear better and in a real slow day I can play music or even see a movie.
what do you say?

mikein
11-12-2015, 11:51 AM
I always wear electronic ear muffs when hunting. Anyone who does not use ear protection when shooting anything larger than an air gun is risking the loss of their hearing. The loss takes place gradually, sort of like going bald, but the loss will occur, and it's a shame because hearing loss is so preventable.

barrel-nut
11-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I never have used anything while hunting, but I plan to from now on. Got a pair of amplified electronic muffs as a gift, and I think I could get used to them while hunting. I'll at least try, as it's a really good idea.
I've always worn plugs and muffs (double protection) at the range and I'm a firm believer in that. At 45, my hearing is still great for my age- I know because we're tested yearly at work. But tinnitus is a whole other issue- arguably worse than hearing loss. As I sit here typing this the ringing is incessant, and I know it will only get worse. Do yourself a favor and protect your ears any chance you get, and not only while shooting.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Just my $.02 but there is definitely a wrong answer in my eyes. I didn't wear protection as a younger man. Now I dont go in the woods without several pairs of plugs in my pockets and around my neck. Muffs seem to get in my way when shouldering my firearm but plugs are easy for me cheap and only take a second. I also didn't wear protection at work around heavy construction equipment. I'm paying for it now with hearing loss and constant tinnitus. Now days I even use it when doing yard work including the lawn mower. I used every excuse in the world and heard every excuse in the world from my subordinates. I knew better and chose to ignore it and make excuses. My regrets are few but not protecting my hearing in my youth is one I wish I could do over again.
Thanks OP for bringing this up and to anyone who doesn't or tries to fool themselves please learn from the mistakes of others.

Stockrex
11-13-2015, 02:05 AM
large bulky ear muffs are not practical always, they also sell inear game ear that blocks the BANG.

hunting with sound suppressors should be mandatory, while you can have ears on, another hunter near you might not, that poor guy is going to get a shock.

Alleycat72
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
I use a suppressor.

Haiku_Rodney
11-13-2015, 03:06 PM
I use in-ear electronic earplugs. I could only afford one so I wear it in the ear opposite the rifle. Mine amplifies the sound which helps a lot in hearing animals moving around. One day when I get a few extra bucks I will pick one up for the other ear.

I know a lot of other hunter who use no hearing protection. They tell me the sound of the shot does not bother them in the least, however, when you talk to them, they are always saying "what?".

Stockrex
11-13-2015, 04:08 PM
I use in-ear electronic earplugs. I could only afford one so I wear it in the ear opposite the rifle. Mine amplifies the sound which helps a lot in hearing animals moving around. One day when I get a few extra bucks I will pick one up for the other ear.

I know a lot of other hunter who use no hearing protection. They tell me the sound of the shot does not bother them in the least, however, when you talk to them, they are always saying "what?".

one ear is fine ;-)
just wear an ear plug in the other ear

hafejd30
11-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I use a suppressor.

I wish we could in Michigan. Many people see a suppressed rifle as a way to poach etc. I would own one in a heartbeat if I wouldn't get a ticket for hunting with it. And like another person mentioned already it's not only you that is the only person affected.

Stockrex
11-13-2015, 08:19 PM
I wish we could in Michigan. Many people see a suppressed rifle as a way to poach etc. I would own one in a heartbeat if I wouldn't get a ticket for hunting with it. And like another person mentioned already it's not only you that is the only person affected.

in MI DNR here is on crack, they assume that a poacher will NOT use a silencer because it is illegal to use one to poach?
We must give an award to that rational forward.

Alleycat72
11-13-2015, 09:46 PM

I just loaded 200 rounds of 308 for one of the local TWRA officers so he could hunt with his suppressed savage. LOL

hafejd30
11-14-2015, 12:00 AM
I just loaded 200 rounds of 308 for one of the local TWRA officers so he could hunt with his suppressed savage. LOL

Haha. Eventually Michigan will legalize for hunt, I hope. Suppressors are so expensive that to only use for target shooting wouldn't be worth it for me as I use hearing protection every time I shoot anyway. Hunting on the other hand I sometimes don't... No excuse not to tho as they make the proper enhance/protection combos

J.Baker
11-14-2015, 11:27 PM
Could you repeat the question, I didn't quite hear it the first time. LOL

Never wore protection while hunting when I was growing up, or even in my 20's, but all we ever hunted with was 22LR's and shotguns whose reports aren't near as obnoxious as centerfire rifles and handguns. Have a little tinnitus at this point, basically sounds like a constant electrical hum in my head. Now that I'm a bit older and smarter I wear foam plugs while hunting, and muffs at the range.

mudpig
11-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Never have while out hunting, although with the newer technology on sound amplifying hunting styles there really is not a good reason not too. Target shooting and such...yes always, with the caveat stated earlier about 22lr rifles and some shotgunning. The military is where most of my damage came from. The tinnitus can get very annoying to both me and my wife

huntin1
11-16-2015, 10:56 AM
I do now, never used to, the tinnitus it extremely annoying at times. In the process of converting my guns to accept a suppressor, I really hope that they pass the bill to remove the restrictions and the $200 tax on suppressors.

Nandy
11-16-2015, 09:12 PM
My understanding is that those that apply for a suppressor will get their money back, but I dont know what the start date for that is.

huntin1
11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
My understanding is that those that apply for a suppressor will get their money back, but I dont know what the start date for that is..

Oct. 22 2015.

Roach_68
11-18-2015, 07:51 PM
What kind of hearing protection are people using? I see Surefire has some that are non electronic but allow anything under 80db in and block anything above that

DanSavage
11-22-2015, 06:19 PM
I have been wearing electronic muffs for 2 years now ever since I developed variable extreme tinnitus. I have pretty bad hearing loss, more in my left ear.

I remember when I was younger I loved loud stuff. You would think schools would teach you the important thing's in life like protecting your hearing ,not all the crap you will never use.

pmcdn
11-22-2015, 11:30 PM
I say you are wise, Nandy. Although I did occaisionally when I was a kid, I'd never shoot guns or be around shooting without hearing protection, hunting or not. I have an audiologist in the family who I like to talk to about loud sounds and hearing loss. Every time you fire that gun without hearing protection, you are doing your hearing a real disservice. Hearing loss is one way and permanent. Not worth it.