PDA

View Full Version : Hornady's new 53 gr Vmax in a 22-250?

22-250fan
11-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know if Hornady is going to offer their new 53 gr Vmax bullet as a loaded cartridge in the Superformance line? Would the 53 gr bullet perform right in a 1:12 twist 26" bbl 22-250? I know the 53 gr bullet has a superb BC, but does it have any weaknesses?

stomp442
11-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Don't know about the factory ammo but I do know that it will shoot great out of the 12 twist barrel.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2015, 01:58 PM
You're falling for the "superformance" hype. Dont fall for the hype.
Save your cash and go ahead and buy a Lee Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit($127), a copy of modern reloading by Richard Lee 2nd edition ($20), a Lee deluxe die set in .22-250 ($35), and a Lee case length gauge in .22-250 ($6). That is everything you need to hand load. Read every page of the book up to the load data and put it on your bench for reference. Don't be scared just follow the instructions.
Then all you need is a pound of powder a box of large rifle primers and a box of bullets.

Yes the 53gr will shoot from the 12 twist barrel.
As far as weak points, The v max is a varmint bullet, as long as you shoot varmints and paper with it you'll be fine. Deer, Well lets just say there are much better bullets for that.

22-250fan
11-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Big Jeep,
Thank you for your recommendations! I've never reloaded/handloaded but I've been hoping to find someone who can give me the very basics to get started. Are you saying that with the items you mentioned, and the book as a tutor, that's all I need to make my own cartridges at home?
Also, could you elaborate on the Superformance hype? Did I drink the Kool-Aid?
Please elaborate as much as possible on the reloading thing AND the Superformance thing. I will read and absorb it all!

Texas10
11-12-2015, 06:51 PM
The most recent Hornaday loading manual does list load data for Superperformance powder starting with the 22-250 60 grain bullets and going up. From what I find on Hogdons website, there are only a very few chamberings that can use Superperformance powder, mostly large caliper types, but the 22-250 is one of them (lucky you). So it appears at this time that no 53 grain ammo will be available, barring any new developments with lighter bullets. But you may find heavier loads available on the shelf.

BHJ has it right if you want to save money AND develop some very accurate loads for your 22-250, mostly the later.

If you are going to 'roll your own' you might also try the Sierra p/n 1400 Flat Base Hollow Point in 53 grain. I find it shoots a bit better than the V-Max at 100 to 200 yds, probably because of the flat base design vs. the boat tail of the Hornaday. Supposedly the flat base stabilizes quicker than a boat tail and is better a shorter distances where greater B.C is not so critical.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Yes, that's everything you need to start making cartridges at home. Those are the basics. Please stay with the Lee manual to start with that equipment because of the tips it gives for use of their equipment. (no I dont work for them just want you to start safely)
I still use all of the components to a (starter) Lee Anniversary Kit my wife gave me back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. The contents of the kits have changed a little since then but the one I mentioned has everything you need once you add the few other items which are caliber specific that I mentioned. The Lee stuff though bargain priced is an excellent starter kit, the stuff lasts and they have good customer support. You can pay a heck of a lot more and get a lot less.
I'd add a powder trickler to the list as a convenience because you'll find the powder measure dispenses by volume and is not exact when it comes to charge weight so I set mine to throw just a hair low and dispense it onto a sheet of folded paper and then pour it into the pan on the scales. Then I use a powder trickler to bring it up to exact weight before charging a case. Of course you can just sprinkle a little powder in the pan from a dipper that comes with the dies to bring it up with to start if you want to skip a trickler. I really like and prefer for several reasons the hand priming tool that comes with the single stage kit over the one that now comes with the other "anniversary" kit. Handloading is the biggest accuracy improvement you can make to a decent modern rifle period.

In my opinion the Superformance stuff is hype to sell product. "Gunwriters" and "Pro Hunters" will hype and promote anything sponsors give them free or pay them for period. I have shot some of the Superformance ammo in 25-06 and .270 and the accuracy was nothing to write home about. The A max is listed as a match bullet and not a hunting bullet and has a somewhat light jacket in my opinion. I wasn't impressed. I know a lot of folks hunt with them and have good results but that hasn't been my experience. I do know inexpensive factory ammo like Remington core loct, Winchester super x or Federal power shock has good terminal performance and will kill em just as dead and makes a good exit.

Nothing cares how fast the bullet is going if it misses so I focus on accuracy when hand loading.

Last bit of advice. You seem very eager (yeah Sharpshooter I noticed that too) so I'm guessing fairly young. Please take all information from the internet with a grain of salt. Even if you see it repeated in more than one place. Always check it against what you know to be true, or a dead nuts reliable source. There are a lot of people reading internet lore out there, interpreting it the way they want, and passing it on as fact. A lot of just plain idiots out there too.
They say "A lie told often enough becomes truth." With the internet "told often enough" seems to in many cases happen very quickly.
Good luck and hopefully you'll be making high quality cartridges soon.