PDA

View Full Version : Short rifle build

67tundra
11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm wanting to build to short "compact" rifle I want short and light for hunting in the mountains and hiking. Would like to have short barreled 300wm 20 inch but what are my other options without shortening the barrel. Will most likely put a muzzle brake.

big honkin jeep
11-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Well there is the Savage lightweight hunter model.
What do you intend on shooting with it?
Other than being a magnum and losing some velocity why would you object to shortening the barrel? Not sure of how much velocity loss but Savage 516 striker handguns get way out there accurately with some really short barrels. Something tells me that they also carry plenty of energy for most North American game. I do know some have been chambered in WSM calibers.
I looked at what the 516 strikers were capable of and studied them before I decided to put together a little budget carbine in .308 using factory takeoff parts. The barrel is now 16". It definitely is one of my favorites and has excellent performance. I sure dont miss the additional length or weight and haven't had anything I've shot complain about the barrel being too short.

67tundra
11-12-2015, 06:15 AM
A few elk and deer. I have read about loss of velocity saying it would just be a loud 30-06 then. I would really like to stick with 300wm because I have lots of brass dies and already have a pretty good load.

big honkin jeep
11-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Even if it does reduce velocity to that of a 30-06 the 30-06 has always had plenty of oomph for the species you mentioned.
I do know that nothing I've shot with my 16" .308 has complained or walked away. I also know that it is so much easier to hunt with I wish I had put it together many years ago. A huge difference in portability and the ability to deploy it rapidly.
Another thing I now do as I got a little smarter is that I never hunt without ears anymore. My youthful mistakes are catching up to me.
and there is no good reason not to wear them while hunting.

67tundra
11-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Does anyone or has anyone made a adjustable stock similar to a ar collapsible stock.

Robinhood
11-14-2015, 02:03 PM
XLR and others

psharon97
11-14-2015, 08:56 PM
xlr, mdt lss, mcree,

romad97
11-15-2015, 08:50 PM
If you want a light weight rifle for elk and you are definately stuck on a 300 WM I would go with a smaller profile barrel and the lightest stock I could find. I would not go anything less than 22 inches on a magnum caliber rifle. This is all of course just my take on it. I am currently in the process of finishing an elk hunting/backpacking rifle myself. I went with a 24" barrel and just accepted the fact that I would have a little extra weight at the chance that I may need to reach out to 500 yards or so if the oppertunity ever presented itself. Don't get me wrong, I love shorter barreled rifles, just not when it comes to larger calibers for larger game.

67tundra
11-16-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm thinking I want a 22 inch with muzzle brake in a chassis of some sort with ar style stock. Possibly folding. Gonna go with a mid weight 300 wm barrel. weight isn't as big of deal as being handy to pack around. So are there any chassis systems to stay away from being it will have decent recoil.