PDA

View Full Version : I've already decided! ...Buying a 12 BVSS 22-250! Any ideas?

22-250fan
11-11-2015, 03:04 AM
Hi guys. I'm new here and have already decided what my first new Savage in 15 or 20 years is gonna be.
I'm going with the 12 BVSS in 22-250! That rifle inspires passion!
My questions to you guys are:
-What Weaver scope to put on it? Or recommend another Japanese made scope.
-What scope mounts to use?
-What ammo to use? I'm thinking Hornady Superformance 50 gr Vmax.
-Are there any issues or pitfalls with this model?
-Can I use it out of the box or should I make some improvements?
-How to break it in?
-Where to buy it from?
-What's the twist and what bullets will work with this rifle?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

Keep in mind my goals are: Accuracy first and foremost. I'm wanting to do some long range (for me) shooting. Maybe around 300 yards. Target shooting. Would like the ammo to be as accurate as possible and retain as much energy and velocity as possible downrange and the shortest bullet drop possible (want it all huh?) for possible hunting in the future (help me do the cake and eat it too thing.) I need a scope and ammo that might be called upon to take small game up to about 500yds.

If I've said anything stupid let me know.
What have I overlooked?

ANY suggestions or criticism will be absorbed.

Thanks.

Texas10
11-11-2015, 09:39 AM
I shoot a 12BVSS in 223 and it is quite accurate right out of the box (after break-in) however, the other day a guy showed up at the range with a brand new, gorgeous looking 12BTSS (laminated thumbhole stock) in 22-250. He let me shoot it and I was quite impressed with the fit and feel. He's shooting some very tight groups now with (I think) 50 or 55 grainers.

I would recommend the Sierra P/N 1400, 53 gr. Flat base, hollow point, and the Hornaday 53 gr. V-Max (with a B.C of .290).

There is a link somewhere here regarding barrel break in however, some ranges frown on patching out a barrel on the firing line, so ask ahead.

The process is basically, shoot one, clean, repeat until 10 shots fired, then shoot 3, clean, etc for another 20 shots.

IIRC, it should be noted that you are cleaning out the powder residue, not the copper during break in. On a factory barrel you want to build up some copper to fill in all the tooling marks/chatter in the barrel.

Are you planning to load your own? Or are you sticking with off the shelf ammo?

sharpshooter
11-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I think you need to calm down, take a valium or something...you sound like a little kid on Christmas.:p

22-250fan
11-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Texas10,
I'd like to thank you for your simple but immensely valuable comments. I'm not an expert shooter by any means. Its taken me about 25 or more years to get an idea of the proper way to break in a barrel. Your simple comment summed it up for me. So, the idea is to lay down some copper, then remove the powder residue on top of the fresh copper so you can lay down some more fresh copper and there not be any old residue laying around so copper can stick to copper!
Is that right? Is it that simple? I've seen and asked for years and no one really knows why to clean between shots.

big honkin jeep
11-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Excellent choice. I love my 12BVSS in 22-250. It's gonna come ready to shoot the lights out. I wouldn't start tinkering because it aint broke and is a darn fine varmint rifle the way it comes. If you dont hand load you're going to want to start. Mine likes 55gr Vmaxand 32.5gr of Varget. I also love my Lee Deluxe die set because the collet die doesn't require lube and lets me use fire formed brass. I just want accurate because nothing cares how fast the bullet is going if it misses. I'm a believer of break in of new rifles and follow the break in procedure as shown on the Savage web site. I love the Burris Fullfield 2 4.5-14 x42 with the ballistic plex recticle that I have on mine. The reticle it matches the trajectory of the .22-250 almost perfect out to 600 yards, just range and shoot without dialing. The optic sits in Burris standard rings and base. In my opinion the perfect optic combination for this application and works like a champ.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/22-250/11180956_zpsfcf1ad78.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/22-250/11180956_zpsfcf1ad78.jpg.html)
Here is a closeup of the target above 2 full magazines (8 shots) at 120 yards.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/22-250/f98f29f1-d068-455d-9346-3020109f731f_zpsunewrugh.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/22-250/f98f29f1-d068-455d-9346-3020109f731f_zpsunewrugh.jpg.html)