PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 VLP 243 Win.

Pages : 1 [2]

sparky123321
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Give VV560 a try. It's expensive and sometimes hard to find, but I was getting 1/4-1/2 MOA out of a Douglas Air-Gauged 8" twist using Berger 95gr VLD's. I took a prairie dog at 762 yards(confirmed) with that load. When I couldn't find VV560 I gave H414 a try and had very good results with it as well, almost as good as the VV560. Your 9" twist might be a little too slow for the Berger 95gr VLD's though. I'd like to know how you are measuring/weighing your powder charges and what type of dies you are using? Also, how are you prepping your brass? Are you turning the necks, deburring the flash holes and reaming the primer pockets? Consistency is the most important part of reloading. I was using Wilson neck and seating dies with an arbor press and weighing my charges to + or - 0.02 grains on a scientific scale. Yes 0.02 grains, not 0.2 grains.

persico
06-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Sparky, I've shot bullets up to 100 grains and it shoots as well or better than the lighter bullets. I've also had other .243's with 1.925 twist and they all shot just about any bullet you fed them as long as you fine tuned the combination. I do mostly varmint hunting and prefer the varmint weight bullets. The hold over on shots is also quite a bit less than the heavier bullets. I have to admit, I'm not much for adjusting my scope elevation knob every time I have to make a shot, something that becomes a necessity when shooting a heavier bullet at small targets (I also don't have the money for mil dot scope right now). After doing some research I've discovered that the 80 Nosler and the 87 vmax are both capable of 600 plus yard shots and that's about all I need where I shoot.
As far as case prepping I do everything but neck turning. I know several benchrest guy's who do it but all of them say it's more habit than anything else and when compared to their prepped cases without neck turning it offers virtually no advantage and can actually hurt accuracy if not performed correctly. I've tried it in the past with my 220 swift and was not impressed with the results. Again if your having luck with it I'd stick with it. Currently I use mostly RCBS equipment and trickle charge all of my loads to final weight but that's about as ambitious as I get when it comes to fine tuning. Thanks again guys!!!

sparky123321
06-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I appreciate your comments and perspective. Berger VLD bullets aren't like many other bullets. Due to their shape they actually have less bearing surface in contact with the lands and grooves compared to other bullets of the same weight and tend to require a faster twist. Match Kings are close though. I also preferred lighter and faster bullets until heading out West for my first long range varmint shoot(750+ yards). Within reason, I'll take a heavier bullet every day when shooting 500-1000 yards. Holdover is easy to calculate and very repeatable. Down range velocity/energy loss and wind drift are much more important and have a much greater affect on your point of impact, at least in my opinion. Heavier bullets, especially those with a high ballistic coefficient, perform much better at long ranges, even in mild crosswinds. RCBS is O.K., but you'd be much be better off with either Wilson or Redding Match dies at least for your bullet seater. Any seater die that fully supports your case before the bullet is seated will work well for you. I will continue to turn the necks on all of my long range rounds. Consistent neck tension all the way around the bullet along with concentricity are critical for unsurpassed accuracy. If you use Norma or Lapua brass you can probably get away without turning the necks, but it's a good practice to at least clean them up with a high quality neck turner. If you've ever turned the necks on some of the other brass out there with a high quality turner like Sinclair's you will see immediately how inconsistent neck thicknesses can be. Honestly though, most of my comments are moot if you are shooting less than say 400 yards. These practices and recommendations will absolutely improve your groups at any range, but it's just not as noticeable at shorter distances. Good shooting to you!

persico
06-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Well said.....Thanks again!